“The good and the not so great”

Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park
Ranked #11 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My room was on the 2nd floor. The first two nights were fairly quiet with my wearing ear plugs - you can hear cars pulling up in front but after 10pm this was not an issue. I thought this was better than being out back where the train tracks are. However, I was right by the restaurant where people hung outside to talk, smoke and drink. Even though I was working and wanted to go to bed before 11, I respected the right of people to enjoy themselves. However, I had to call down at midnight when I could not take the noise anymore. It took more than 30 minutes for things to get quiet.

The shuttle service is a nice plus, but don't rely on it if the hotel is busy or you are on a schedule. Putting your name on the list the night before does not guarantee you a spot. Breakfast is $12 flat rate. Wifi worked well for me in the room and I was able to print my boarding pass in the business center. The fitness center is clean and has: 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a rowing machine, stationary bike, free weights and a small multi station machine.

A small annoying thing about my room was the bathroom door being up against the room door. I am not sure why, but it bugged me always having that heavy bathroom door swing shut on me and barely having room to open it in the entry way. A pocket door would have been a better idea for the location. Helpful tip: if your headboard is 2" from the wall and slams repeatedly against it when you sit on the bed or move, cram a pillow between it and the wall. (think napkins under a table leg). And finally, as another reviewer remarked, the air is VERY loud. I have had this problem at the Ritz...so I am not judging the hotel on it really, just wish someone would find a quieter hvac for hotel rooms since they continually go on and off during the night.

I gave the hotel a good rating because I liked the restaurant/bar and the hotel was clean and new.

1  Thank Kova67

Reviewed May 17, 2012

The rooms at the HGI RTP RDU are what you expect from a Hilton Garden Inn: good sized rooms, microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker, etc. My room (522) had a stand-up shower (decent size) though I think many rooms have tubs. Nutrogena toiletries (I actually preferred them to what I brought from home), good size bathroom, etc.

I read a couple of reviews here regarding the air conditioning units and I admit the units under the windows aren't what I would expect to see in a new hotel. They are pretty new units however (LG brand). Mine wasn't excessively loud, but it is admittedly louder than what a central air unit would sound like. One reviewer said his unit was literally louder than a jet engine. I invite him to look up the word literally in the dictionary, or else direct me to what airline he travels because I'd love to see this quiet of a jet engine :)

The breakfast was pretty good, selection was slightly more limited than what I usually see at an HGI, but like I said it was good. We had drinks in the bar and they were mixed well. We ordered an app with our drinks (flatbread with some dips and hummus) and they ran out of the hummus (which is amazing BTW) so they gave it to us for free. Nice customer service touch.

The fitness cetner has 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, and I think two recumbent bikes. I used the treadmill multiple times and they are of decent quality. There are dumbbells in the fitness center too. I also used the pool, refreshing!

Can't comment on the shuttle, I didn't use it, but it seemed to be always coming or going.

There are train tracks behind the hotel, so you may want to ask for a room that faces the front. My room faced the front and I never heard highway noise, a coworker faced the back and could hear the train.

I think my only complaint is the bathroom doors do not stay open on their own, so they're always closed and there's no good way to ventilate the bathroom. I hung wet clothes on the shower rack to dry, and more than a day later they felt just as wet as when I hung them up. Overall a pretty minor complaint, but worth noting.

Hotel is right off of I-40 on NC 54, it's convenient to the offices in RTP, and down the street there's a wal-mart and other strip malls for food etc.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front. A little road noise, compared to the train running by the back of t...
Reviewed May 17, 2012

This hotel is a nice property and for the price we paid, I felt it was good value. The room was spacious, and the bathroom was very clean which is a big selling point for me personally. Also the hotel staff was wonderful, always friendly and ready to offer suggestions on places to eat nearby. We stayed over graduation weekend so I did really appreciate their friendly attitude, despite how busy it was.

There were however a few annoyances. The audio on the TV in our room kept going in and out, very annoying if you actually want to watch 5 or 10 minutes of TV. Also the walls are very thin. At nearly 3:30 am one morning I could hear the conversation of people passing by in the hallway outside so loudly it sounded as if they were in the room. And there are not shops/restaurants, etc in the immediate area of the hotel. If you want Starbucks or a sandwich you'll have to drive 5 minutes down the road. We didn't eat breakfast there so can't comment on the food or the fitness center, which is open 24 hours a day.

Overall, our stay was pleasant but on a return trip, I would probably look for a hotel that closer to other shops/restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Hilton Garden came in and gutted the old hotel on this property and fitted out a very nice Hilton Garden. The dining area is open and easy to mingle with other guests and the staff. Dinner is outstanding. In the morning they have a full hot breakfast offering. The staff is excellent, but I did think they were running a little short handed for breakfast. The morning chef's set up was not very efficient and he really needed a hand with the rush. I'd like to see them put the scrambled eggs and breakfast meats out on the buffet instead of tying up the chef with serving those things. When only a handful of people come down at the same time, the line immediately gets long just for items that are already cooked. There is also a train each night, so ask for a room that doesn't face the tracks. I still rate it a 5 because the attitude of the staff and newness make it a very nice place to stay for a few nights. I'm sure they will work out the kinks with breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the railroad tracks.
3  Thank joelinda
Heather S, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Dear joelinda,

Thank you for your comments. I will address your concerns with our chef and restaurant manager. We always welcome input of our guest so that we may better serve you in future.

Also, it was so nice to hear about the wonderful experience that you had from the staffs outstanding customer service and the newly renovated hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us next time you are in RTP.

Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

I'm here since more than a week now. Fabulous staff (in particular in bar and restaurant, thank you guys!!!) excellent breakfast and food, nice terrasse in the morning sun and an outdoor pool with chairs. Not too much in the surrounding, but you'd need a car in this area anyway, close to the highway, but no noise.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear MazeNKD,

Thank you for sharing with us about your wonderful experience at the Brand New Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park. We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit to the RTP area.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great Location for Business visitors espcially whom visiting a company at Research Triangle Park ..
They have great staff whom are very friendly ..
They have good shuttle service which can take you to your business location, mall or airport

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank MazeNKD
Heather S, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear MazeNKD,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay at the Brand New Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park. It's nice to hear you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle service, as well as, experience the wonderful guest service our staff delivers. We look forward to having you stay with us next time you are in the RTP area.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn the week of April 9 and from the time I walked in the door until I left the staff made sure my stay was excellent. Tor, the Assistant General Manager, checked with me every day to see if I needed anything and went above the call of duty for anything that I needed. Thank you Tor I will highly recommend your hotel to everyone and thank you for making my stay an exceptional one. The staff was excellent as well Lisa and the other individuals at the front desk always greeted me with a smile and were always willing to assist with anything that I needed. Anthony who shuttled me a few times to my class was always very pleasant and professional. Housekeeping always had my room ready for me when I walked in at the end of the day and it was always very clean.

The food in the restaurant is excellent for both breakfast and dinner. I would highly recommend the salmon it was cooked to perfection. The pastries and desserts were excellent as well and are homemade right at the hotel. The chef's at the hotel are excellent and I can honestly say I don't usually eat hotel food but I highly recommend the food at this Hilton Garden Inn.

Per a previous posters comment I did not have the air conditioner noise in my room so maybe they do have the issue resolved now.

Thank you Tor and to all of the staff for making my stay an exceptional one at the Hilton Garden Inn I will be back to stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa500
Heather S, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Dear Lisa500,

We are so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay and how much you enjoyed our superb customer service at the Brand New Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park. Our goal is to give each and every guest an outstanding stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again in future.

Heathr Schaffnit