Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center
Ranked #39 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Scary”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I go to Durham often to visit my daughter at school. I usually stay one night, so the Red Roof has been my quick, no frills, go to, place. The front desk staff are always friendly. On my most recent visit though, I was really concerned about my safety. The place was buzzing with what looked like a coke convention, and I don't mean the soft drink. There were a lot of people coming and and going out of multiple rooms. A lot of cars zooming in and out of the parking lot, and a lot of sketchy looking characters hanging around, acting odd. The guy at the front desk seemed unaware. I was certain that there would be a police raid of some sort in the the middle of the night. The night passed without apparent incident though. I did not feel easy at all. Yes, the rooms are a bargain, but with that comes the undesirable element, I suppose. If you fear for your safety, It's just not worth it. I've decided that is the last time I will stay there. Sorry, Red Roof.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, ask for a room that is away from the freeway.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Visitor123123
Robin A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with Red Roof Inn while visiting your daughter. We're happy to be in a convenient location that's close to the University. Our convenient location often fills us with guests that are there for special events at the university or the Performing Arts Center. The large amount of diverse guests are often at the property for a family oriented, college, or concert events. I am happy to hear there were no incidents during your stay as usual. We do have great security personnel that allows our staff to focus on offering the great customer service we're proud of while they make sure everyone is safe and secure. We hope to see you at our property again so that we can continue to offer you this level of service. Thank you again for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We got a non-smoking deluxe (fridge, microwave) queen room with some friends for the weekend. The staff was very nice and helpful when we checked in. The room smelled pretty musty as though it had been a smoking room, but we lived with it. The room was otherwise clean enough, although I did notice holes in the sheets, but for the price it was perfectly live-able for a weekend stay. The neighborhood felt safe and was close to our planned activities.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
virginia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We checked into our room and as soon as we walked in the room smelled musty. Then I noticed what looked like cigarette holes on the bedspread. I sat on bed and it reminded me of the old pull out sleep sofas that had an 2" mattress and you felt the bars underneath it. It was just terrible, I can't believe management would still have mattresses in that bad shape in room. If that wasn't bad enough, I went into the bathroom to take a shower and there was a roach on the floor!!! I had enough, I realize the room was cheap but having stayed at a Red Roof Inn before this wasn't even close. We checked out and at that point and went some place else. I would not recommend this particular Red Roof Inn to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nsk123
Robin A, Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
That you for choosing to stay at our Red Roof Inn. I want to sincerely apologize for your stay as this is not our normal level of service. Anytime a guest has a problem we do encourage them to contact the front desk so that the issue can be addressed immediately. We do upgrade our mattresses whenever possible and you will be happy to hear that we are scheduled for renovations in 2012. Come in to view our rooms and you will see we deserve a second chance. Thanks again for your business and have a great day!
Livingston, Texas
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Your representative ( Jamiylah ) was excellent, She always had a smile on her face and went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable. When we registered , I asked her if they had coffee in the morning and she said yes and she asked what we liked for breakfast, My wife and I said that we liked McDonald Bacon egg and cheese biscuit. In the morning when we checked out she had 2 hot bacon egg and cheese biscuits with 2 hot cups of coffee waiting for us that she had purchased with her own money , It made our day. Employees like her are hard to find . The room was excellent and very clean. We highly recommend it. We booked another stay there. Ernest & Virginia Fuller

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Ernest F
Robin A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
Thank you for choosing to book another stay with us. I am happy to say that Jamiylah is one of my star desk clerks and this is her standard level of service. She makes sure to provide each guest with a special experience. I am happy to share your response with her and I look forward to your next stay with us.
wilmington nc
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Let me say, this was not the front desks fault. BUT........when we went into our little teeny motel room, the first thing I did (after thinking ehhh) was inspect the bed. There it was. A black curly hair............beside a STAIN on the sheet. I called the manager,and within MINUTES, he came, upgraded us to a fantastic room with CLEAN SHEETS, and we also had a microwave and fridge, and a computer area. $46 was the rate, and we were 5 minutes from DUKE university! GREAT location, SUPER CHEAP, just watch out for the bedding. THis is a great no frills motel near all types of restaurants, shops, etc. Safe, too.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and pay for the "Deluxe room". IT is almost DOUBLE in size for $6more...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you again for choosing to stay at our property. I am glad you chose to stay with us during your special trip to Duke. I apologize for the reason you moved but I am glad you had a chance to enjoy the Superior King room. It is indeed the best room when you need space and a microfridge.
Mengo is indeed an amazing desk clerk. I am happy that you were satisfied with his great customer service. When you book your next stay DEFINITELY choose our superior king room to have another amazing stay! Have a wonderful day!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Where I live a dare not even venture near the Red Roof Inn - However, when I rolled into town at 3am I was almost willing to take anything. I stopped by the Super 8 right down the road but the hotel was dingy and dirty & the front desk clerk was exceptionally rude so I decided not to give them any of my business. The price of the room at RRI was $20 cheaper than the Super 8 and the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The room was phenomenally clean (I was rather impressed) and the beds were very comfortable. I will definitely return to RRI and would recommend this hotel to anyone else. Keep in mind that the interior is a bit older (carpet is a bit worn in some spots and the tvs are not brand new) and that some rooms don't have microwave & refrigerators but this hotel is a great value. My stay here has changed how I view Red Roof Inn hotel chain.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Destynie M
sanbao184
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Found this place on tripadvisor. Just looking for a reasonably priced, clean room near Duke. It fit our needs perfectly. Elevator carpet a little grungy, but our room was great. Desk clerk was polite and efficient. No complaints.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple