“An Outdated Hotel That Thinks Its A Resort”
Review of Millennium Durham

Millennium Durham
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This hotel is the hotel that time forgot. Especially the rooms themselves. WAY outdated, old and rundown. In desperate need of renovation. The staff I passed in the hall were friendly, but the front desk person (Michelle) when we checked in was abrupt, abrasive and very difficult to understand.

This hotel charges $5/day. They said it was a "resort" fee. This was a joke. The only amenities were an indoor pool and weight equipment. They said the $5 was also to cover the business center. We laughed when they told us what the $5 was for and the nicer front desk person (at check out) removed the charges.

The lobby bar is very nice and welcoming, although I can't say how the service was because we never went in. After waiting 13 minutes for two pieces of toast at the restaurant, I finally just cancelled the order and went back to my room.

Our room overlooked their courtyard. I really got a feel for living in the inner-city projects looking out there. It was a big bare grassy area with 4 white plastic chairs in the middle. NO landscaping at all.

The housekeeping staff I met in the hall were very nice and accommodating when we asked for extra towels and a sheet to cover the creepy 70's bedspread.

Internet access was $9.95/day and a fridge will set you back $5/day. There is free parking.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. At any price. Considering how disgusted and mad I was by the time I escaped the Millennium, I feel as though I was very fair with my review.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 2, 2011

The hallways looked as if they had not been vacuumed in months. Rooms were dated and filthy, but they had a $5 bottle of Fiji water to spruce the place up. And the used band-aid outside my room was a nice touch.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Got the rm for $55/night, thinking a 3 star hotel (3.5 according to priceline) would be better than the slightly more expensive holiday inn express down the road. . .boy was I wrong.

The hotel shows it's age, and is in desperate need of a renovation.

The room was clean enough, but felt old, and the bed was uncomfortable. The sheets were like sandpaper, and the in-room '60s style air conditioner was useless. I'm not a hotel snob, but if you're going to charge a premium for everything (breakfast, wifi, cocktails, late checkout), then you should really deliver at a higher quality.

The breakfast was probably the worst part of the stay. The $12.95 breakfast buffet consisted of microwaved eggs, hashbrowns, and various other inedible creations. That would have been tolerable, but the service at the table was awful, and the spaces on the buffet for bacon, grits, and sausage were empty for our entire meal. When we asked about the empty containers, the waiter said he'd be happy to get then refilled, and he didn't realize they were empty. 20 mins later they were still empty and our meal was over.

Spend the extra $6/night and get a chain hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Don't let the negative reviews scare you. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff very friendlyand accomodating. No, this isn't a 5 star hotel, but you're not paying 5 star prices either. The location was great also. I travel a lot on business and this hotel was very comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Got in very late from the airport, the front desk was fine nothing special. The room was rather subpar, very very dated, the bed was uncomfortable, nothing great. The real killer was no cell phone reception (on VZW) that was a real turn off for me, especially traveling on business.

The plus side was the shuttle taking you to DukeMed, prompt, on time, excellent. Also shuttle service back to the airport was convenient if expensive.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2011

This place is definitely not worth the price you pay. Check-in is slow and inaccurate. The restaurant was awful: salad in the burger that was about to decompose, and a second order of it was not any fresher. No apologies on the restaurant's part.
Shower in the bathroom did not regulate properly between hot and cold water; you had to choose between one of the extremes. Don't go there unless you want to be close to Duke University, for that is about the only positive aspect of this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Old outdated and dank would be the words I would attach to this hotel. The hallways look so much like the hallways from The Shinning I was expecting to see two young girls standing in my path around every corner. Rooms are very outdated and bathrooms are not up to the par in this glorified Two 1/2 Star hotel. Who rates these places anyway??? Three 1/2 Stars my a~ss! A ten dollar up charge for slow internet? Now come on even McDonald's has free WiFiI these days. The staff was nice enough to move me to another room as the one they put me in was next to en elevator that groaned like an old man on his death bed. I guess next to the Motel Six it would be palatial but for a more upscale business traveler I would encourage people to avoid this little gem.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business