“Disappointing”

Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Atlanta
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 22, 2009

My husband and I, along with our kids, stayed here for an event at Duke. Wireless internet access didn't work the entire 3 days we were here. Every day they said they were working on it. We could not get cell phone reception in our rooms, which meant we had to go outside every time we had to make a call, and we missed many calls. Inside the hotel is dated. We won't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
perkma, Management Team at Millennium Durham, responded to this review, June 4, 2009
We reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us here at the Millennium Hotel Durham. We do appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests and do take it seriously. I want to apologize for the unavailability of the wireless internet access that you experienced during your stay with us. Please be assured that on the rare occasions that we do experience such issues we do everything possible by working in conjunction with the service provider to locate the cause and remedy the situation as soon as possible to minimize the duration of the outage. Again, thank you for your comments as they help us to continually improve upon our level of service to our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Raleigh,NC
Reviewed May 18, 2009

We "won" this hotel with a $41 bid on Priceline for a 3 1/2 star hotel for Thursday, May 14th. We didn't arrive until after 7pm. As we drove in, my first reaction at first sight of the grounds and the outside of the hotel was "How pretty!" Inside, my first reaction was, "This is pretty old." And it is an older hotel, but charming, and well-maintained.
We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived, until we checked out the next morning. Everyone was friendly, polite, and helpful. We asked if a king might be available, and that is what we got. The room was very large, and overlooked the enclosed pool. The room itself was furnished with old and somewhat worn furniture. But everything was clean, the bed was nicely made and comfy.
The bathroom is on the small side, but that never bothers me. There was a separate sink outside of the bathroom as well. Towels were of 3 1/2 star quality.
We were starving, so we headed straight down to the restaurant "Bel Gusto", where we had a really nice dinner. I can highly recommend the crabcake appetizer, and the pasta primavera. Excellent! My husband thought his turkey sandwich was just so-so, but he loved the crabcake appetizer also (we shared it and it is plenty large enough to share). Service was quite good. I would recommend the restaurant even if you're not staying in the hotel. Hint: check restaurant dot com before you go. We saved $21 on our meal thanks to a $25 coupon we purchased for just $4.
The lounge/bar area looked very warm and comfortable. Had we not gotten so full, it looked like a nice place to hang out.
Our night was nicely quiet. Overall our stay was pleasant, and I would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lori R
new york city
Reviewed May 14, 2009

Great location, staff friendly and helpful, rooms clean. Management and staff very responsive to your needs. Restaurant in hotel - good service and food. Also has pool and gym! Great hotel for all your needs. 2nd time there... will be staying again May 09. I would definitely recommend for business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bonnieo222
frederick, md
Reviewed April 24, 2009

We were plesantly surprised as I thought I was booking a discount hotel. Nice indoor pool, close to Duke Childrens Hosp. The service was very good overal the shuttle guys were great getting us to Duke. The hotel was very clean. Great experience and I highly recommend if you are heading to Duke.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
new jersey
Reviewed March 4, 2009

I stayed in the Millenium Hotel for a course at Duke Hopsital. I was with customers, and could not have been more embarrased. I was rudely greeted at 2:45 by the front desk teling me my room wasn't available yet for a 3:00 check in, and I would have to just sit in the lobby and wait. Once I did check in, the room was GROSS! Black hair on the pillow, filthy shower, and marks on the comforter. The room looked like it had not been updated in about 15 years.
The only good thing about the stay was that night was the night of the big snow storm on the east coast, and the area got hit with about 3-4 inches. A gentleman at the door cleaned off my rental car for me.
I would NOT go to this hotel again. In fact, I told my company they should absolutely not put customers there.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I have no complaints about this hotel, which is on par with your run-of-the-mill Marriott and Doubletree. The lobby is inviting for what the hotel is, with plenty of furniture for guests and Wireless access for the technologically inclined. The rooms are spacious and clean, but a little weathered due to the age of the hotel. The walls are thick, so you will not likely hear anything while you are sleeping. There is free LAN in the rooms (in addition to the wireless in the lobby), so this hotel is perfect for the budget-oriented business traveler. Airline crews use it frequently for this reason.

The food/bar are above average for a hotel of this kind. The food is good for what you pay, although the service is a little spotty. The bar offers local microbrews on draft - a rarity for a hotel chain. If you are budget-oriented, consider the salad bar at night and the breakfast special for $5 in the morning.

This hotel does well to offer extensive transportation to local attractions and the airport. There is a fee for some of these trips, but, for folks without a car, these fees are well under what one would pay for a taxi. The vans are new and the service organized. Given the proximity of the University, this service is great, as parking is likely a nuisance for families or leisure travelers.

Two minor complaints overall, which limit the hotel's overall rating to three and 1/4 stars in my mind -

1. The smoking rooms appear to be locaed on the first floor, and the elevators are located in the area of the rooms. So, you cannot avoid some of the fumes of cancer sticks if you choose to stay here even in a non-smoking room.

2. When you shower, the water pressure is so high when you start the water that it depresses the plug in the bathtub, creating a challenge if you want the water to drain.

All in all, a pleasant stay for what I paid and what the hotel is - one of the better ones catering to Duke families and visitors.

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank TheAmbassadorofVA
Washington, DC
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I stayed here just because Duke uses them for their guests, so I didn't have a choice. I'd echo what people have said about a great staff and a horribly out-of-date hotel in need of a major rehabilitation.

I was in a non-smoking room, which did not smell like smoke, but the entire hallway outside my room reeked of smoke all the time. It wasn't that clean--when I unintentionally caught a glimpse of the bathroom sink in the mirror, it was obvious that they only cleaned the part that the guest sees when standing over the sink, not the whole thing. You had to turn the bathroom faucets the opposite direction than what you traditionally would do to turn them on and off. And then there's the shower. I've dealt with bathrooms in lots of different places (including other countries) and I could not figure out how to turn the damn thing on. The problem was that you had to use an unusually large amount of force, to the point that you'd think you'd be breaking it.

Anyway, I have NO IDEA why Duke uses this place because you can do MUCH better in Durham for less money than this place.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business