“Satisfactory”

Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Satisfactory”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Good price and clean. It certainly hasn't been updated in many years and needs some help. A little difficult to find but the staff was very helpful. If you are in town to visit Duke it is convenient and reasonable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Burlington, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We just stayed at the Millennium Hotel Durham because we wanted to be near the hospital since my husband had an early morning procedure at the hospital. The room was clean, room service was quick and the food was good. However, the next morning the shower would not turn on and since we were in a rush, we did not call the front desk. When my husband checked out, he told the gentleman that we should have an adjustment to our room charge. Another employee immediately reprimanded my husband for not calling the desk to have it checked and then we could have moved to another room. Everyone in the lobby heard her loud voice and turned to see and hear her unprofessional tone of voice. The gentleman told my husband they would check on the problem and did make an adjustment to the bill. Stress at a time like this is uncalled for!

Room Tip: Check your shower before you decide to unpack!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Though touted as a 3 star property, the Millennium Hotel Durham is not. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The rest, not so much. The lack of electronic doors to the entrance is a clue. A loose toilet seat reflects the approach to housekeeping. Drab old furniture. Signs of hard wear and disrepair. Beds that sag in the middle. Sketchy wi-fi @ $5.95 per day extra. Got a great price through Priceline, and we discovered why. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MHD205, General Manager at Millennium Durham, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear PRM405
It was certainly good to know you rate our associates positively on their service and I will make certain that your positive comments in this most important area are passed on to them.
There is no excuse for poor housekeeping and I have personally discussed your comment about the loose toilet seat with my Executive Housekeeper and I am confident this will not be a recurring problem in the future. I hope you will accept my apologies and you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves if your travels bring you to Durham again, for it is our aim to provide the finest in accommodations and service available in the greater Durham area.
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We are staying here because my sister is in Duke Medical center. Wanted to thank Beverly for outstanding help with Housekeeping matters and Ratechia, John, Latasha,Dekarr, Judy and the front desk staff who have helped us in so many ways! The shuttle drivers are so friendly and it is sooo nice to have the shuttle available for any time needed hospital trips! The other hotels in the area need to pick up on the shuttle idea,this is the only one we found and it is great.

Room Tip: The only negatives is food in restaurant is expensive for people on hospital budget and the rooms ne...
Dear Terry M,
I am very proud of the entire staff here at the Millennium Durham and I will make certain to pass on your positive comments regarding the outstanding service you received from each of the individuals you mentioned by name, as well as, to the entire Front Desk and Shuttle drivers. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I came here for a business trip and selected the hotel for its Proximity to Duke University Hospital. Its about a 20 minute walk to the hospital's campus but they operate a shuttle for a nominal fee, which is a real added convience. Of note, I did book this hotel on a discount website, so I approach this review from the value I paid, not what the hotel's published rate would be. Also, this is my first experience with the Millennium chain so I don't have a frame of reference in order to compare this hotel to another similar hotel in their system.

Overall, this hotel was very clean, the lobby was updated and had a very nice aesthetic appearance. It had a bar and restaurant that on first glance was homey and hospitable. Although I cannot comment on the food since I didn't dine at the restaurant, I did have a couple drinks at the bar and the bar staff were very friendly and it was very enjoyable. The staff throughout the hotel were very nice, accommodating and gave me directions where I needed to go.

Here are some of the reasons which detracted the my rating. When I first walked into the lobby of the hotel, I really thought this was going to be a very comfortable place, but when I checked in my room I had other thoughts. Although the room was clean, it had considerable ware, and appeared dated and run-down. I think the staff do as good as a job as possible to keep it clean, but they can only do so such - its just in need of a renovation. The beds were a little uncomfortable so the sleep quality wasn't great. Since this was a business trip for me, I rarely needed to stay there except to sleep. I would also add that the business center is also in the need of an update since the computer systems there could not access my corporate VPN and a number of websites I needed access to. Also, the Wi-Fi is unreliable in certain areas of the hotel and unaccessible in my hotel room I was staying (my computer couldn't even pick up the hotel WiFi network), even though I paid for it at the business center.

Overall, the value I received through the discount website was great, but if I paid the price of the hotel's published charged, I might be more upset. I would recommend this for a short stay or if you aren't planning any significant time at the hotel as some of the rooms lack comfort. For the business traveler, don't expect to get any work done while you there, either do it before you come or at the location of business.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Pennccrn,
It is certainly good to know you rate our associates so positively on their service and the cleanliness of the hotel and I will make certain your positive comments in these most important areas are passed on to them. Your perspective of the property and our performance is most important to us and I want to assure you we are making every effort to improve every aspect of our facility and your feedback is very helpful.
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We visited Durham in January and so enjoyed our short stay with Millenium!! The lobby and tavern are lovely. The fitness room was adequate. The room was spacious - although the bed itself was comfortable the pillows were a bit flat and mushy. The most impressive aspect of our time here was the friendliness of the staff. Upon checking in Ratechia and Octavia were very kind, friendly, and helpful. When I returned from using the fitness room this morning, I returned to the wrong room - my sister-in-law's room, rather than ours - and of course, my didn't work. I went to the front desk where a very kind woman reprogrammed my key. When returning to the room again, I realized I was at the wrong door. Returning to the front desk AGAIN!! She was again very kind, and reprogrammed my key again. Wonderful feeling here!! We would certainly return!!

1 Thank Ellen S
Dear Ellen S,

It was certainly good to hear that you rated so many of our staff so highly on the service they provided and I will make sure that your positive comments in regard to in this most important area are passed on to each of the individuals and most specifically to Ratechia and Octavia.
We sincerely appreciate your patronage and look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Matthews, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had occasion to stay at this hotel while my husband was in the hospital at Duke, the 2nd time from December 3rd until December 9th. Without exception, I was treated by all of the staff like a member of the family. I'm including front desk, housekeeping, and shuttle drivers. While I don't know all the names, I especially remember Jamie, Ratechia, and Judy from the front desk as well as your shuttle drivers, Thomas and Paul. To make matters more difficult, I had a broken right foot and was in a boot the entire time. Thomas and Paul made sure that I got in and out of the shuttle safely every time, and showed me so much care and compassion. I found your prices very reasonable, and rooms very comfortable. While I hope we don't have any more long stays in the hospital, your hotel would be my first choice. Thank you, Chlois Barkman

Room Tip: When dealing with a handicap, being close to a room or elevator is always helpful. Your shuttle ser...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chlois B,
It was certainly good to know you rate our associates so positively on their service and I will make certain that your positive comments in this most important area are passed on to most specifically to; Jamie, Ratechia, and Judy from the front desk and shuttle drivers, Thomas and Paul. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything I or my staff can do to assist you in the future.