“Awful rooms decent service”
Review of Millennium Durham

Millennium Durham
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My wife and I both caught colds after staying just one night at this hotel. The room was dank with mildew and also smelled of smoke. We asked for a change in rooms and were sent 4 doors down to a room that smelled of heavy perfume - no thanks. We toughed it out but picked up colds for our troubles. The faucet in the shower did not work, but the engineer was responsive and nice and did not take long to fix. Also, you can not get cell phone service, hardly anywhere, because the building is old and mostly concrete and rebar. Their wifi service is also terrible. This was not a good experience. The bright spot was the staff, who were cheerful and helpful, but you could tell they knew they were working with inferior product and trying their best to make the guests as comfortable as possible with what they had. They should all get raises, and the building needs dire restorations and modifications. Avoid.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BryanD25

Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel is encompassed by hazardous Mildew and Mold. It is well hidden, but it is present... Came home sick after staying at this property for 4 nights... Had some late night visitors who came to "dine" on my left-overs.... No worries, when I opened my star-foam to-go box they decided to leave!! I guess you could say "dine and dash"...The bathroom utilities are poor at best.. You need the strength of an iron-man to pull the water spicket open to take a shower.. The front desk staff were great! They Van drivers were great!! The bar was TERRIFIC!! Robin at the bar did a great job of making us feel at home! The older lady who is the server in the restaurant at night has no manners what-so-ever... She is rude and forceful.. She apparently "owns" the lounge tables when her dining room is "closed"... during dinner hour each evening... She told us, if we were sitting in the lounge table areas, that we needed to have "dinner" as well.. Not wanting to leave, we pulled two tables together and ordered appetizers.. She then instructed us order our drinks through her, instead of the bar, where we had tabs open! She had a poor presentation when delivering the $60 of appetizers that we ordered... She did not keep the table cleared, and stood in the service area non stop... watching us... Like a hawk! She could not even separate the tickets when the bill arrived. I guess the moral of the story here is... If you like mildew and mold. Have the strength to pull the water spicket open in the tub to engage the shower, like late night "dining buddies" and a rude server who continually keeps the restaurant closed... But enjoy a good bartender and good drinks, and friendly front desk staff with good drivers.. Then book you next stay!!!

Room Tip: Unknown!! As it appeared they were all the same!
2  Thank BigDaddyHR
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I transferred here from Duke Towers after their water pipe broke ., Duke Towers insisted on charging me full price for my room despite the fact that it was uninhabitable for 2 hours when I most needed it. I was so upset. Ratechia at the Millenium sent a shuttle to get me, found me a room with a complementary fridge and wi-fi and made sure the rest of my stay went well. Their staff is so helpful, responsive and friendly and they went way out of their way to help me with something that wasn't their problem. I am now a Millennium club member and will choose this hotel whenever I come to Durham.

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a training and I came away feeling awful. I use to travel 70 percent so I've stayed in different hotels in a lot of states. However, this one was for the books. The room smelled like mold, the bed felt like a box spring with a pillow top. There were stains on the carpet and the shower had mildew, rust and stains. Food was not good and your cell phone will only work if you go outside to talk. I'm still trying to scrub the hotel off of me.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank jthomas720
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Although the facilities are somewhat worn, the staff and reasonable price make up for a lot of cosmetic faults. Having to be available for early morning surgery and living four hours away, we needed convenient, clean lodging for two nights. We were not disappointed especially with the front desk staff of Judy and Ratechia as well as the Bel Gusto server Sahra who were all very accommodating and most hospitable. Even the other members of the "crew" treated us as if we were old friends. Many service industry companies should take lessons from these dedicated employees who put their guests first. My only complaint was that the restaurant's coffee wasn't the best for my tastes, BUT I know everyone enjoys different nuances to their morning brew. I would be happy to serve on a review committee for finding the best morning coffee.

Room Tip: perhaps ask for a room away from conference attendees.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The only thing nice about this hotel is the stock photo from 1980 of the front of the hotel. The carpets are all stained, and everything except the tv and ac unit all look original. When we walking in the room the smell of bleach was so strong, so we knew it was clean. Day 2 and 3 that we turned down housekeeping the old musty smell of the room came out (now we know why the strong bleach smell). There were black marks on the ceiling that looked like it was painted over. The toilet constantly ran!! There were many stains on our carpet in the room (gross!!). The staff was extremely friendly!! Another positive, its close to Duke.

1  Thank Charlene I
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My family and I have stayed several times at the Millenium. Most times we have no issues or problems. We did however, have an issue at the hotel the time before (noisy party guests at 2am!) and I give tremendous kudos to the staff for not only sending security to deal with the noise, but also gave us a break on the rate! This most recent stay was very relaxing and quiet! Wasnt sure that would be the case as we were there for the Duke/Miami game, but we were pleasantly surprised! Rooms are always clean and the staff is always friendly and professional. Great location if you have business or pleasure in the Durham/Chapel Hill area. Highly recommend if coming for a Duke athletic event - free shuttle to campus and pick up made it a very enjoyable day!

Thank you to Ratechia at the front desk and Teddy the shuttle driver for the wonderful service!

Room Tip: Request a room on the 4th floor - seems like the most quiet floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family