“Outstanding Personal Service”

Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Southern Pines, North Carolina
“Outstanding Personal Service”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Recently I attended a business meeting at the Millennium Hotel. When we broke for lunch I was not interested in the buffet that was offered, instead preferring something lighter. The selections for snacks were limited so one of their staff (Ratechia Percell) went out of her way to try and accommodate me. She was very friendly, helpful and focused on providing good customer service. Thanks for a great experience!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tarheelgal76
MHD205, General Manager at Millennium Durham, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear tarheelgal76,
As a business attendee your perception of our hotel and the staff are most important to us and I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to post your comments. It was good to hear you rate Ratechia so high on her customer service and assistance to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed almost a week and got a good price thru Priceline. I found the hallways in the non-smoking areas reaked off smoke. The back entrance on the first and second floor as well as the elevator need to be vacuumed badly. It never was while we stated there because it had all white stuff all over the area the whole stay. The two faucets had pink mold around the perimeter the whole time I stayed there. I even got a tissue and wiped an area to see if it would come if and it did very easily. One of the days my room was never cleaned even thought I left the sign in the door that said "Service Please". I decided to get a drink down at the bar one night and the Bartender talked to another couple for over 5 minutes while I waited for a drink. After I decided to have another one I again had to wait along time while this Bartender conversed with this couple.Stupidly, I gave her a tip and she never acknowkedged it. Also the pool was closed practically the whole time and the front desk had no reason for the closure or when it would open. I finally gave up after going down there four days in a row.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Buddypal04
Hawaii
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My stay at the millennium Durham was very comfortable and welcoming. My husband had surgery at duke and I needed a place to stay for the duration of his hospitalization . This was an extremely difficult time for me since I was 12,000 miles from home (Hawaii). The staff ( front desk, shuttle drivers, bartenders, waitresses) were so helpful and caring. This made my ordeal so much easier . Thank you for having such a wonderful staff I will recommend your hotel to all doctors in Hawaii who send their patients to duke.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank binkyHawaii
Scotch Plains, NJ
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our room in this non-smoking hotel smelled of smoke. When I called to complain, the engineer came and said, "the lady who stayed in the room before you is a smoker. I guess the smell lingered on her clothes" . Please explain how that is possible, especially since the room would have been cleaned between guests. The manager did switch us to another room at the polar opposite end of the hotel. This place is just average. Would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
jackson, ms.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

this is a fine hotel for the price. we use price line to acquire our stay and each time the price is very fair and the hotel is very nice. we have enjoyed our time there each visit. the grounds are well kept and the pool and spa area are all kept clean and well lighted.

Room Tip: our only problem is no cell service in our room each visit. all rooms are great.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Delaware
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a two-night business trip, thinking it would be convenient to Duke University. This property is very clearly being run into the ground for some reason - perhaps an impending disposal or perhaps a major reconstruction. Furniture in the lobby is literally threadbare, carpets in the hallways look like they've been in place for 30 years (a more explicit description would not be fit for publication). One member of my business group was assigned a room adjacent to an exterior door which is so poorly maintained that it woke him with a start every time in clanged shut during the night. Room air conditioners are poorly maintained (mine cycled constantly through the day and night, every few seconds). Room lighting is poor. Bathroom fixtures are ancient and improperly installed or maintained (faucets turn in the wrong direction). The breakfast buffet, which contains the usual suspects, is overpriced at $13. Front desk personnel are perfunctory (can't blame them, really, since they apparently can't really make guests feel comfortable).
There are many options around Duke. This hotel is no more convenient than several others. Stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you stay here, ask for a second floor room, so you don't risk hearing the exit doors all nigh...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Came on a Priceline deal and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel for the price. Near duke- walking distance, or accessible by the hotels 5 dollar a day shuttle that will take you to and pick you up from anywhere in Durham. Id definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
MHD205, General Manager at Millennium Durham, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Travelrrrrr,

Thank you for selecting the Millennium Hotel as your choice for accommodations while recently in Durham and I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to comment on your stay with us.

It was good to hear your stay was an enjoyable one and that you were able to take advantage of our local shuttle service.

With so many hotels to choose from, your patronage our our hotel is much appreciated and we look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again, the next time your travels should bring you to Durham.