“Average hotel located close to the Duke University Hospital”
Review of Millennium Durham

Millennium Durham
Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Millennium Hotel Durham offers a good night's stay, but there is definitely room for improvement if it wants to become anything but average. From the outside and inside the lobby, your first impression is one of high expectations. The outside facade looks like it is in good condition and the main lobby is nicely decorated. However the doormen outside seemed to be more for show than anything else. They were always on the phone, but never bothered to even open the doors for anyone going in.

Check in was quick and painless. There is an elevator that functions, but is in need of some work. The doors will close eventually, but the button to close them doesn't work so you have to wait until they close on their own. The elevator itself is quick enough for the size of the hotel and you can get a lot of people in it as long as there is no luggage. The staircase however looks to be one that you would find in a parking lot, not a hotel.

The room itself was nice and the king bed was soft enough to be as comfortable as one could or would expect for a hotel. The selection of pillows varied in softness, so that could be a good or bad thing. There was a slight smell to the room like someone had smoked in it and tried to cover it up, however it wasn't overbearing and I got used to it after awhile. They sell bottled water for $5 in the room, which is strange since the tap water tastes just as good and doesn't cost you anything extra. The bathroom as a combined bath and shower, but be careful with the shower curtain as it will hug you as you are taking a shower. The internet was included in my rate,however it was too slow to play any videos or open some sites that required a log-in. If it is not included in your rate, it costs around $9. The internet is free in the lobby, and they do offer two computers for guests to use.

The bar is located next to the lobby and is a good place for a drink. However it can get noisy and crowded in the evening when there is a conference at the hotel, and can become too much if you just want to sit back and relax. You can get a simple dinner here as well or in the restaurant across the hall. The restaurant also offers breakfast in the morning that includes a buffet or menu. The buffet is actually the better choice given it is $13, which includes all of your drinks. The menu selections looked to be around $9 and don't include drinks. However except for the lady who sat me, the rest of the staff seemed to not care about the guests, only periodically coming around checking on the guests.

With the little things in the room that looked tired, as well as throughout the rest of the hotel, the management should really consider putting some money into the hotel. The hotel is conveniently located, and there is nothing particularly wrong with the hotel that would prevent me from staying again. It just doesn't set itself apart in a crowded market in the Research Triangle area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
MHD205, Manager at Millennium Durham, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your comments. We are pleased to tell you that we are in the final stages of corporate signing off on funds for a refurbishment project. We have recently installed flat screen TVs in every guest room and as of Nov 29, our new cell phone booster has been installed. New HVAC units are on the way. We hope to have our guest rooms and hallways refurbished by the end of March. We have also recently instituted a lower guest-room rate for Internet, changing the daily rate from $9.95 to $5.95. Service in the lobby and public space is still free. While you live fairly close by, you are a well seasoned traveler and we appreciate your comments. Hopefully, if you return to Durahm, we will be your host once again. Safe travels!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I would not stay here without first looking at the room. Ours had stained and peeling wallpaper, stained carpet, broken door hinges and other damage. Repairs that had been made were poorly done and evidenced lack of concern. For example, one of the bottom supports for the full length mirror on the bathroom door had broken, and one corner of the mirror was about six inches lower than the other. Maintenance had simply glued the mirror in place, leaving it crooked. Interestingly, when we checked out, the desk clerk did not ask me about our stay. The hallway and other rooms I could see while they were being cleaned indicate that our room was not an exception.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Brian, thank you for staying with us and we completely understand your assessment that guest rooms need refurbishing. I am very pleased to say that we are planning on a guest room refurbishment that hopefully, will be completed by the end of March. We have made many improvements so far including adding flat screen TVs to all guest rooms. As of this week, we now have a cell phone booster installed. New HVAC units are on the way. Should you return to Durham, we hope to once again be your host as we are sure you will see a major improvement.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was very pleased with my stay at the Millennium Hotel, Durham. The location and appearance of this hotel was great. Te front desk staff was very helpful and courteous. The amenities on the premises were great. My only draw back was the location of the pool and exercise equipment.

Room Tip: The bell captain, Teddy Terezis was exceptional in displaying southern hospitality.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

this place is an old out dated hotel with worn out beds and stained carpeting no cell phone very limited internet service and dirty rooms(dont look behind the curtains at window sills or behind beds)Might be a decent overnight for Duke patiets because its close to hospital but they charge for van service.resterant just fair but they charge for take out (not room service take out?)And the staff is asking for great reviews I saw Ratechia sit down at the computer with an older guest and heklp her write a review (they get $10)The gym is dangerous with broken equipment Very Very depressing property not a safe area hallways are filty Room service tray left for 2 days?

2  Thank beach1234054
LM S, General Manager at Millennium Durham, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Please let me assure you that neither guests nor employees receive incentives for submitting reviews on TripAdvisor. We do not attempt to influence reviews. We apologize for the cell phone service; however we are pleased to share that we are installing booster equipment that will be live by November 15. We do charge a nominal fee for our shuttle as we maintain the largest shuttle fleet of any hotel in Durham and provide continual service to all Duke University Hospital System locations from 7 am to 10 pm. Safety and cleanliness are a top priority at the Millennium Durham and we have a process in place to check and maintain the safety of all amenities so we will immediately look into the examples you provided. Our rooms are cleaned to the highest standards, however there are instances where areas may show signs of wear and we are documenting and addressing these areas as we can. We pride ourselves on our guest satisfaction and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I didn't bother to take pictures of all the rust and old features since other travelers had done so, but stay somewhere else if you have a choice (I did not). As everyone else has said it's like being at grandma's house and for me I feel like old does not equal clean and as a germaphobe that's a real problem.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank STLSteward
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have been coming to this Hotel for approximately 4 year now and I must say that I have never had a bad experience with the stay or facilities. Parking is great, the exercise room(s) will fit most of your workout needs, and the lobby area and bar are unmatched.

One staff member comes to mind when I recall the excellent service received at this location; Ms. Ratechia has always made me feel like I was a part of her family as she always greeted me with a smile (no matter how outrageous my request were). This type of customer service has kept me coming back to the Millennium in Durham.

I have read some of the other reviews about this Hotel and quit frankly, I'm almost positive that none of those issues were given to the staff to correct. This is a great facility with a crew of truley professional staff members.....!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for two nights last week and it was one of the worst hotel experiences I've had in quite some time. I guess you get what you pay for. Overall, it felt like I was visting Grandpa, years after Grandma died and he's been afraid to touch or update anything. The entire hotel feels like a bad flashback. The hotel and the rooms are clean, and the staff is polite and friendly. But the rooms and in fact the entire property need a serious makeover.

The carpet was torn and had holes in it, the wallpaper was peeling a bit in the corners, the lamps and bathroom fixtures were tarnished and had pockmarks all over, the sheets felt waxy, like they were over-starched or something wierd on them. They make a bid deal about having new flat-screen TVs in the rooms, but you really could only view them directly head on, making it almost impossible to work at the desk and watch TV at the same time.

There also was ZERO cell phone coverage (yeah, I know this is necessarily the hotel's fault, but come on!), and the Wi-fi worked very inconsistently - mostly it did NOT work and when it did, it was extremely slow.

The fitness center was pathetic. They have six very old machines - two treadmills, one stair climber, two bikes and one recumbant bike. None of the bikes worked either day I was there. I did go to the front desk and ask about them - they called "engineering" who said they would go look at them but of course they never showed up.

And to top it all off, one morning I was sitting in the lobby waiting for a co-woker when one of the staff directed a homeless person to hotel bathroom. The homeless man then proceeded to wander through the hotel asking people for money or food. Another employee even took him into the restaurant to try to get him some food. Now, I'm all for helping those in need, but in a hotel and hitting up the paying guests - REALLY?!? And they knew he was there and appeared to support him being there. Sorry, but that was really crossing my line.

Sorry Millenium, but this place should be shut down, flattened and rebuilt. It's hopeless. Next time I'm in the area, I will gladly drive out of my way to stay somewhere else.

1  Thank SFTravelerFoodie

Thank you for your comments. We understand your comments and regret that our cell phone booster had been installed in time for your October stay. The system was installed this week and cell phone reception is vastly improved. We also have new HVAC units on the way and we are in the final stages of having our corporate offices sign off on a major refurbishment to our guestrooms and guest hallways. We host well over 10,000 medical patients and their families a year who find our hotel comfortable and location extremely convenient. We are pleased that we are able to continue to serve them as we make improvements to the hotel.