“A disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Westfield, NJ
“A disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

The hotel rooms and hallways did not meet my expectations for a Millennium Hotel. While the common rooms in the front of the hotel were nice, the hallway carpets were dirty, the pool deck was littered with candy wrappers and dirty towels. The rooms were generally clean but the attention to detail was missing as duplicate pictures were on the walls over the beds. The faucets in the bathrooms were corroded and were difficult to use. The restaurant meals were good.

1 Thank dwillia757

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
SE North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

Reservation was made by Duke hospital for me at a special rate and the hotel is very close to the hospital, also the hotel offers free shuttle to the hospital. The lobby area is nice but the rooms are not nice at all. Faucets tarnished, rusty door hinges, ceiling has water stains, peeling wall paper, 1 lamp kept flickering, wall outlets had power strips attached that looked unsafe, A/C was loud and didn't work well, limited channels on the TV and many of those were "fuzzy".

About 75% are unfriendly, the remaining 25% are just adequate in the customer skills. Also had 2 separate billing errors? I heard several other guest complain about the bill. It seems the hotel makes "errors" hoping people won't notice.

I got a great rate through the hospital but the rates on the website are really way to high, IMO this is a 1 star hotel. The location is not even that great (except for proximity to Duke)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jecks
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

After checking in us (my family) noticed that the room was dated. Okay I can deal with that. My room was clean but, I quickly realize that the channels on the TV were limited and there was no internet service unless I paid for it. This hotel is not near a lot so why are we being charged for internet. Next after I got pass this I decided I will enjoy the pool and Jacuzzi. Oh that want happen because the Jacuzzi is out of order, empty, broken my entire stay. Okay well I will deal with this too. The hall going to the front desk downstairs smelled like bug spray every time we went downstairs, that’s a problem and the front desk staff need to take a lesson in customer service. Our room ran out of facial tissue and toilet tissue. I called the front desk, the person answered said they were transportation and then hug up. I called again, this is at 7:15 am and the lady said "service staff (maids) does not come in until 8:00 am". So I said will I have to wait until 8:00 to get some tissue, she said yes so I said this is ridiculous, can I come downstairs to pick some up, she said hold on let me see if I have some, she did and I went downstairs to retrieve the items and much to my surprise there were two people on the front desk and one (1) guest there.
No do not stay there. There are a lot of other hotels in the nearby area that we will stay at for now on.

1 Thank mover21
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

Stay away, there is reason no one comes to this hotel anymore. Watch your bill at the restaurant and bar. They over charge by stealth to make up for no one coming into their hotel or restaurants

Room Tip: Dirty and not a 3.5 star Hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AJ100USA
Shallotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

We've stayed at this hotel twice, but mainly due to the convenience of it's location and the comfort of the bedding. Upon our first visit, I called to inquire about a vacancy, was told there were vacancies, but upon my arrival, I was told something different. I informed the desk clerk that I'd just called & she quickly made my reservation. This is basically a hotel that caters to patients and families visiting Duke Hospital, so vacancies for general purposes are hard to come by. Quick Run-down:
Negatives: The rooms are dated,
The Front Desk staff appear non-chalant.
The number of cable tv channels are limited.
Beware! The music channels are a pay-per-song charge.
Positives: The beds and linens are heavenly! We didn't want to get out of bed! LOL
Check out time is at noon, which is a plus.
It's within a short drive to downtown Durham and easy access to I-40, and US
15/501..
On my second visit, I booked in advance. Other than the slight aloofness of the desk clerk, the check in process went without a hitch.
Overall, this is a nice hotel, but nor a great hotel for the price you pay. They do offer AAA discounts. When I can find a deal under $80, I'll gladly stay again, but other than that, I doubt it.

Room Tip: Book in advance (online)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank fruityb
Springdale, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed at the Millennium Hotel Durham the night before attending an event at Duke. I had read all the reviews ahead of time, and was prepared that it wasn't going to be a 5-star hotel. I did find a decent internet rate, then used Priceline for an even better rate. It was close to campus, and since we were arriving late and leaving early, I just wanted a place to sleep.

The lobby looked very nice. As we walked down the hall to our room I started having flashes of scenes from 'The Shining.' Very Overlook Hotel-ish. Yes, it's dated. The beds were fine for sleeping, and I didn't have any trouble with water temperature or pressure. I did hear people in the lobby having trouble connecting to the internet.

The hot tub was still out of order. (I had read about that in previous reviews.) The kids enjoyed the pool. Actually, I think the murals in the pool area were my favorite thing about the hotel.

The layout is very confusing. I was constantly taking wrong turns. There are 2 treadmills, a couple bikes and a stairstepper in the workout area. The bikes weren't the greatest, but the treadmills worked fine.

I ran to Walmart and Dunkin Donuts in the morning to fetch breakfast, so I can't comment on the restaurant or bar.

I paid $39 plus fees on Priceline for this stay...at that rate you can't really complain. The area was easy to navigate though, so if I were coming back I might look into other hotels.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AllesonWonderland
lithonia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

Outdated carpet, overcharge for a single martini, which cost $17.00 because the bartendar did not state they give double shots. I am glad I did not have two. I complained but to no avail. If you run out of tissue in the middle of the night you have to wait until 8am for sservices.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business