“problems with door lock; water temperature”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Millennium Durham

Millennium Durham
Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Kentucky
“problems with door lock; water temperature”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

This hotel lacks sparkle but if the price is right it's okay, I guess.

Upon arrival the hotel seemed very busy. I asked reception for a quiet room and that's what I got. Rm 258 - no traffic noise or noise from the hall or adjoining rooms during my two night stay.

The inside latch on my door was loose and seemed ready to fall off. I will tell the hotel about that directly.

The thing I disliked most about the hotel was the water temperature in the shower went up and down.

Priceline room rate: $48/night
Taxes & Fees: $24.38/stay
Parking: Free, self-parking lot

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

Old box tv, charge for internet, and no refridgerator. Movie rentals were $15 and the internet was just as pricey. Any business hotel should provide WI-FI. The hotel is in a good location but needs a major overhal. Front desk staff not overly friendly but ok. Housekeeper on my floor was very sweet.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank banderella
NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 1 night while doing outpt sx at Duke. The hotel is dated with renovations needed but clean and offers a med rate. The only thing extra in the room was a coffee pot and did not have ref. They do charge a $5 resort fee and for what not real sure. If you need a place to sleep and shower than it is fine but if you are used to staying in a true 3 star resort hotel than proably not recommend.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank NCluv2travel
Bronxville, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

I checked into this hotel after checking out of Duke Tower, which I wasn't too pleased about.the issues and the fact shuttle service was very limited to where I wanted to go with their "shuttle" service. Please check out my review on the Duke Tower for more details.

Anyway, Millennium Hotel will take you where you need to go. I'm unsure of the distance radius, but if it's close it will take you where you need to go, Target, shopping, any stores close by, or Blockbuster video. This is a big plus if you do not have transportation and staying in locally for a couple of days. On the other hand, Duke Tower will not take you to wherever you need to go except only what's advertised on their website, (hospitals, DFC or the "closest" supermarket).

The hotel is so much nicer than the dump at Duke Tower <which they emphasize on making the outsides of their building and area look pretty, but the driver <TONY the *******> is the biggest reason I'm never coming back. The fact that clients of Duke Fitness Center stay at the Millennium Tower because Millennium Tower is actually closer to DFC than Duke Tower. Duke Fitness Center USED to be across the street from Duke Tower, but since then DFC has moved to a different location. Anyway, Millennium Hotel shuttle service is excellent. All their drivers are polite and courteous, they come inside the building to let you know they're there if anyone is waiting for them. While I was at Duke Fitness Center I often saw them coming in to find their passengers in air conditioned Econoline Vans with tinted windows.Compared to Duke Tower, picking you up in a "security" car.

Because more people from Duke Fitness Center were checked in here, it was nice to see other faces around you as compared to the tower, it was dark and lonely at night, and I didn't really see anyone from DFC come and go except once or twice at best in two months I was there. Anyway, some of the rooms have kitchens which is a stove, and microwave and a refrigerator. It was good enough for me for an extended stay. I was ok with the TV channels it had, Tower did have more channels but the quality of service and the daily turn down service at Millennium and friendly front desk staff made my stay worthwhile.

Anyway, about the hotel, the lobby is real nice and appealing, the reasturant has a great buffet breakfasts, and excellent menu items if you get hungry. They have an indoor pool and a gym in the same room. The place does have laundry facilities, and cost for wash is average.

The rooms are a bit dated, but that's okay as the beds were more comfortable than the beds at Duke Tower because all the linen were real nice. It was a treat to come back every night and my room was made and turned over, as compared to the "once per week" housekeeping. Your paying the exact same money to stay at Millennium in comparison to Duke Tower. If I was coming back to Durham, I definitely would stay at the Millennium again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank FastMazz
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

While it has a great location for being close to Duke campus, this hotel is dated and not very appealing. All the old furnishings and decor must be 15-20 years old. Can surely benefit from a remodel. I booked here via Priceline which claimed this is a 3.5 star hotel. I'd give it 2 stars.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I stayed at this hotel many many nights as I needed to be near Duke Hospital. I found the hotel to be fine. Yes, it has seen better days and a tad run down around the edges, but I was perfectly happy with the hotel. It was obviously once a really nice hotel and still has a very grand feel to it.

The best part was the staff, I found every single person I interacted with to be very friendly and professional. Even the housekeeping staff went out of their way to speak as I walked down the hallways.

There was a workout room with numerous pieces of good quality equipment. All seemed to be working while I was there. There is also an indoor pool and hot tub but I never really saw anyone in it.

There was a nice lounge and they had 2 computers available in the business center with quick internet and also there was free wifi in the public areas. Wifi was available in the room for $10 day but I just used the browser on my phone, T-Mobile had good 3G coverage in the room but no service at all in the halls and lobby for some reason.

I ordered room service and it always came reasonably quickly and the food was almost always surprisingly good. Breakfast in the morning was ok, not great but ok. Buffet was $12, but I most often ordered off the menu.

Rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The A/C Heat unit worked well but could be a bit noisy. The bath had only shampoo and conditioner but had really large nice towels.

If I need to be near Duke I will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Newland, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

This hotel is the hotel that time forgot. Especially the rooms themselves. WAY outdated, old and rundown. In desperate need of renovation. The staff I passed in the hall were friendly, but the front desk person (Michelle) when we checked in was abrupt, abrasive and very difficult to understand.

This hotel charges $5/day. They said it was a "resort" fee. This was a joke. The only amenities were an indoor pool and weight equipment. They said the $5 was also to cover the business center. We laughed when they told us what the $5 was for and the nicer front desk person (at check out) removed the charges.

The lobby bar is very nice and welcoming, although I can't say how the service was because we never went in. After waiting 13 minutes for two pieces of toast at the restaurant, I finally just cancelled the order and went back to my room.

Our room overlooked their courtyard. I really got a feel for living in the inner-city projects looking out there. It was a big bare grassy area with 4 white plastic chairs in the middle. NO landscaping at all.

The housekeeping staff I met in the hall were very nice and accommodating when we asked for extra towels and a sheet to cover the creepy 70's bedspread.

Internet access was $9.95/day and a fridge will set you back $5/day. There is free parking.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. At any price. Considering how disgusted and mad I was by the time I escaped the Millennium, I feel as though I was very fair with my review.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple