“Residing At The Candlewood Suites RTP”

Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham
Ranked #39 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Residing At The Candlewood Suites RTP”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We have resided at this Candlewood Suites on several occasions durint the past four years, for a total of approximately 40-days. The location of the property is very good, however could be a bit nicer. The cleanliness of the hotel was very good, although there are occasional cleaning lapses in the coffee / canteen area on weekends, when only 1-person is on site. Our bedding, toilets, kitchen appliances and utensils have always been quite clean. We experienced a problem with the TV remote missing on one of our stays, however this is true of many hotel properties.

This property does seem to have more animals and small children around, therefore is a bit more noisier than other Candlewoods we have resided in. Again, the 3rd floor is much quieter, since the Managment appears to keep animals & smaller children on the lower levels. During our several stays, we once experienced a noise problem with the people above us, and the staff immediately provided us another suite, which was very quiet. We also once experienced a broken ice maker in our suite. The front desk person delivered us a bucket of ice that evening, and a new ice-maker was installed the next day.

We have been quite pleased with this property, especially the staff / management and will continue residing there if their customer service & property comfort remains at the same level as in the past 4-years. The prices have increase approximaty 20%, since our initial stay, therefore the hotel value is decreasing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Mr. C,
Thank you so much for your comments. We always enjoy seeing you and your family. We look forward to your next stay. If there is anything I can do for you for your next visit please let me know.
Jonathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Laurinburg, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My family and I were in town for Duke's Homecoming weekend. We have stayed at Candlewood hotels before in other cities and it was exceptional. Upon arrival the hostess was very nice and greeted us kindly. The lobby appeared to be small but efficient. The halls, elevator and the room had an awful smell. Animal urine and smoke filled the air. We were very disappointed that this location is no where near the same as the others. We were not happy but due to the number of people in town, our choices were limited to find a suite. As we prepared for bed, I noticed that the linens were covered in hair and had several stains. I requested a clean set of linens from the front desk and the ones I received did not have hair but they too were dingy. I was also unhappy about receiving a handicapp accessible room, the bathroom had no shelves
for toiletries or hair products. We did not need this room but because the hotel wanted the money, this is what we received. The carpet is very dirty, everything in the room is old and should be replaced. This site is a bad representation of Candlewood hotels- will never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frances M
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
I sincerely apologize for your troubles during your recent stay. We are in the process of putting together a capital improvement project and should begin this process in a few months. We will also retrain all the associates to look for any hair on the linen after the washing and drying process. I do understanding your concerns and they will be addressed. thank you for your comments and I do hope you will give us another chance sometime in the future.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Durham. It was an excellent stay as the staff were very friendly and always helpful. The room was very clean and as ususal the candle wood suites had all the comforts of home such as free laundry and excellent gym the candlewood cupboard and of course a kitchenette in the room. I would like to thank the staff again for an excellent hotel experience.

Lori Rundle

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for you comments. We appreciate you staying with us and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night. I woke up two days later with blistered bites all over my legs. I counted 80 bites. It took me a day to figure out what they were and I am feeling miserable, itchy, painful and gross looking. I called the hotel to let them know and they were very understanding and refunded my entire stay immediately. But I do hope they take care of this problem before others get bit because it is not fun!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Sandra, I do appreciate your response. Once you notified us of your situation we inspected the room as well as had an extermination company inspect the room and we did not find any bed bugs. We also inspected for any other insects, such as flees and spiders. We did not see any signs of them as well. However we did go through our standard process of heat treating the room as well as spraying the room with the appropriate chemicals. It has been a few days now and there are no signs of bed bug carcases or any other insect. I apologize you have received bug bites on your legs. If there is anything I can do for you please contact me at the hotel.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked a room three weeks in advanced and wasn't told until the night I checked in on Sunday night at 11:00 PM that "looks like there is a problem" I was downgraded from the room I originally booked which was a Suite to a single King bed room. I didn't unpack because I was told it would be corrected the following day and when I called in the following day from work to check on the status of moving the room, I was told "I really hope someone checks out today so we can get you moved" WHAT!!! Had I been called before I got to the hotel on Sunday and told that you couldn't meet my accommodations then I would not have even bothered at your hotel. Giving me a discount on the price of the room doesn't help either I could really give less of a crap about the price, so telling me that "it's okay we discounted your room" doesn't mean a thing to me. I never ended up switching rooms and stayed in the single guest room the whole week. This was a horrible experience at this hotel and I am a very very big IHG member and stay in the RTP area very often and I will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Quite hotel. Call ahead of time to double check your reservation. If someone is staying in your roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 54DK54
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I apologize for the bad experience you had during your stay. Currently we have a large number of guest who are here for either medical reasons or on business projects. Sometimes it is hard to determine an exact departure date for both. The guest who were in this room type had extended and we were not able to accommodate you as you had expected. I should have contacted you and let you know that we would not be able to move you into our one bedroom queen suite. I apologize we did not notify you that we would have to move you into our studio suite. I know you stated you were to be in a king suite, however we do not have any rooms that have king size beds.
I understand that we did not meet your expectations and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. I do hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity when you travel to this area.
Somewhere
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My family and I started staying at the Candlewood locations as often as possible when we travel. We stayed in our first location in 2009 and we are currently spending the night at one. We have stayed more than 150 nights combined at the Candlewood since 2009. We enjoy the staff and the clean rooms. The locations we have stayed at have always been centrally located and we have never had any security concerns. The gym, laundry and food pantry are always stocked. We highly recommend you stay here to be the judge for yourself. Keep up the great work staff at Candlewood located in Durham RTP. JAH

Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments. We truly enjoy seeing you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Anytown, USA
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Having stayed at other candlewood suites, I knew what to expect (and not).
The hotel is conveniently located; great if you happen to be in RTP area and need a suite with a kitchenette and clean rooms. Several Restaurants and even a Food Lion (grocery) within walking distance.

It is not one of the newer candlewood properties though the service – newer furnishings and bedding - and location more than make up for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank M B
Thank you for your comments. We do realize that we are not as new as some hotels. Our staff strives to provide you with a clean, comfortable room, and a friendly staff. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again in the future.