Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel location was convenient and the breakfast was very good. The rooms were comfortable; I appreciated the free Internet connection. Parking was fine. The fitness room was well equipped and was never crowded. We also appreciated the free airport shuttle. Overall, our experience was good and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
HomewoodSuites--RTP, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay!!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

QUICK REVIEW:
This hotel, while obviously older/aged met all of my needs/expectations on a recent business trip. One of the reasons we chose this facility was because of the complimentary breakfast offerings and complimentary dinner offerings. Unfortunately most of the food was not really that good. A few of my team members had the same comments. The room was spacious enough for me and offered a sitting area separate from the bedroom, but really had an old look/feel to it overall. The staff was super friendly and addressed any questions I had, etc. I'd recommend this hotel for an affordable stay, with a decent room and average food offerings.

MORE IN DEPTH REVIEW:

I recently traveled to Durham for a business meeting. I stayed at this Homewood Suites. I arrived slightly early without realizing it wasn't 3PM yet. When I spoke with the front desk they didn't give me any difficulty about being early and in fact didn't even mention it. They asked me to wait a few minutes and shortly after that wait, they handed my room key.

ROOM: I stayed on the second floor. Upon entering my room, the first thing I usually pick up on is some sort of smell, scent or the overall theme/decor of the hotel. My opinion for this facility is that it is an old/aged property that has attempted to "tune-up" old to try and make it look more modern. Everything from wall surfaces (which have been painted with a more modern earthy rust tone color), ceilings with popcorn plaster, old shower, etc. Not a complaint, just an observation.

As I entered the room, you are in the kitchenette area of your room which is part of the sitting/living room area of the suite. There is a solid surface island table/desk of some sort separating the sitting area from the kitchen. Unlike several hotels I've stayed at, this area had plenty of electrical connections for my laptop, phones, etc.

Connecting to the internet was very simple. In my case I opted to just plug the ethernet cable in the room right in to my laptop and signed on to their logon page with my HHonors ID and room number. It was fast, unlike other hotels I've stayed at recently.

The kitchen had a decent size refrigerator, a small stove top/oven, sink and lots of counters with a dishwasher. Upon entering my room the dishwasher was running. No complaints here as I didn't really use the kitchen itself or any of the dishes in the room.

I also didn't spent any time hanging out in the sitting area of the room as I was out at a meeting all day and by the time I came back at night, I was exhausted.

The shower was ... well ... a shower! My only observation was the floor of the shower (aka the tub) seemed to be almost bowed or sinking in the middle like the shape of a V the entire length of the tub... not sure if that is by design or not.

The best was pretty comfortable and the room had a ceiling fan in the event you didn't quite need the blowing of the A/C but wanted a gentle breeze.

HOUSEKEEPING:
Housekeeping did a great job of freshening up my room every day. No complaints here.

DINING/SITTING AREA:
This meeting was for a team meeting and one of my biggest complaints about many hotels is inadequate space to hold meetings or team roundtable discussions in "general" seating areas. The space on the first floor of this hotel where complimentary breakfast and dinner are served was quite spacious and plenty of seating. Our team met every morning for breakfast and often came back at night and discussed items for the next day.

FOOD (BREAKFAST / DINNER):
I would not really rate the food offerings very well. I'm not being picky, it just wasn't really that good. Several of my other team members felt the same way. A few times it was more or less "well, free is free, so I'm taking some". Breakfast consisted of standard muffins, pastry and fresh fruits. Hot items included scrambled "eggs" and either sausage or bacon. They also had a few cereals to choose from. With regards to coffee... it is kind of odd... they have the coffee area more or less across the room from the food area and there was no creamer other than the little "one use / sit at room temperature" creamers. The milk/cream station was over in the kitchen area away from the coffee station.

STAFF:
The staff was very friendly and responded to any questions, concerns or need that I had during my stay.

BUSINESS CENTER:
The business center was extremely small. Only one person could be in there at a time. The equipment (especially the printer, very slow) appeared very antiquated. I did think the computer they had was pretty cool. It was running a kiosk type of software that more or less provided you with a one screen view of anything and everything you'd likely want to do without giving you complete access to the operating system.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
HomewoodSuites--RTP, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We wanted to let you know that we will be going through a major renovation during the 4th quarter of this year and our suites will be getting a fresh new look. I'm sorry you did not enjoy our food and beverage offerings and we will monitor that area for any improvements that need to be made.

Thanks again for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Nicely kept property. Very convenient location, pretty setting, pleasantly decorated. Front desk staff very helpful. The 2 bedroom suites are perfect for sharing. They even had a wine bottle opener! The only complaint - the in room coffee maker did'nt work but coffee was available downstairs. Breakfast was outstanding.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Nicole E, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us! We appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel and our staff. I apologize the coffee maker in your suite was not working, rest assured the issue has been corrected. Again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Absolutely love Homewood Suites. The spacious suites are wonderful to reserve with the extra space. The staff was super friendly and very accommodating to any questions. Very clean and quite. Only problem was blackout curtains had holes which let in morning sun. We told check-out and they assured that this issue would be handled. Was unable to connect to Wi-Fi but an alternative connection was offered in-room. The beds are wonderful!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I'm very impressed with the management of this hotel. There was an question with my billing and when I brought it to the attention of Jason Madison, Assistant General Manager, he not only resolved the matter expeditiously but to my 110% level of satisfaction. I appreciated the professionalism and friendliness that Jason provided on my behalf.

I will definately choose the Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP/Research Triangle Park the next time my business needs bring me to the area.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2013

There are many hotels to chose from when flying into RDU for business or pleasure. Homewood Suites is the most comfortable. The service is the best by far. The suites are immaculate and spacious and are conducive to conducting business. The manager's evening receptions provide tasty nutritious meals that are far better than grazing at the nearby full service hotels' concierge lounges.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I absolute loved this hotel. The staff was awesome. They have a breakfast bar with eggs bacon hash browns toast bagels pastries cereal juice coffee. They also have dinner which includes wine and beer. The hotel was very clean the rooms spacious. The area was very quiet

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank schwammy
HomewoodSuites--RTP, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again!

jason.madison@hilton.com