“free breakfast & internet - will stay again”

SpringHill Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Research Triangle Park
Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Durham
New York
“free breakfast & internet - will stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 2 days (weekend) because we are attending a wedding at the Duke Garden. It's about 10-15 minutes drive to Duke Garden (Duke University). Free breakfast, free internet, and the hotel is very clean. our room has microwave and hair dryer. The bed is extremely comfortable. Not bad for $59 per night. I would stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xmaskutee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
ilove2playpiano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2009

I just got back today from a wonderful 3 night stay at the SpringHill Suites Marriot. First of all, for background information, I booked this hotel for my mom and grandmother during our visit to the Raleigh-Durham area. My grandmother can be picky about the hotels she stays in, but she agreed with all of us that this hotel was a winner. My only complaints about the hotel are listed at the bottom of my review....after the more numerous praises.

Good things:

1) The staff was very accommodating and polite. We had no trouble checking in since we made our reservations on Priceline.com (The $50/night was a big factor in what made this hotel a winner!) On one occassion, I called the front desk to ask a question...no emergency. They must have been busy because it rang until I got the voicemail. I hung up. But a minute later, we received a call from the front desk asking us if we called and if we needed anything. I think it is very nice that they took the time to call back.

2) The hot breakfast was quite a treat. Every day they have: eggs, sausage, cheese, english muffins, other types of muffins and bagles, waffles (make your own), milk (chocolate and plain), tomato, apple and orange juice and fruit cups. They also sometimes have yogurt. It was a very filling and delicious meal...buffet style.

3) Our suite (2 double beds, and sofa bed) was more than enough room for the 3 of us. It was really nice to have the sofa bed...I think it's a bit harder to find that feature in other hotels. We had a microwave and mini-fridge (a plus, especially if you want to warm up take-out...or save restaurant expenses). It had two t.v.s (the old kind, but adequate), a bathroom where the sink was located outside of the room that housed the tub and toilet (a nice feature if multiple people want to use the sink/toilet and bath area at once. There is also FREE Wireless at the hotel...I believe this is a new feature...not sure if the hotel's website lists that yet...it used to be high-speed and more recently changed I think. Here's a tip about connecting: Use the "ibahn" network. Once you connect to that, you are sent to the ibahn website (once you open up your internet page). Click on the option to the left, where you get free premium access for the day. I was confused about which option to choose, but finally asked the staff and was told to use that one every time I wanted to connect. You have to agree to their conditions, but it's pretty straightforward. And ask them what to do if you have a question.

4) The hotel had a nice INDOOR pool and hot tub, as well as an excercise room. These were nice features.

The hotel is overall in wonderful shape and despite the minor inconveniences I have listed below, it is a great deal and I would recommend it!

Bad things:

1) Once open, the sleeper sofa does not allow much room for walking from the sleeping area to the small "kitchen"/desk area. But we managed.

2) Also, you have to come down for the hot breakfast on time...they are strict about when closing. We also found that the breakfast staff was unwilling to make more oatmeal after the pot emptied, even though the breakfast bar was still open. Like other reviewers said, the breakfast area, though pretty spacious, often gets crowded with people toasting bread or getting other food...and table space runs out. Although it looked like we wouldn't get a table the 2nd and 3rd days we were there, we were able to squeeze in and wait patiently until tables came available.

• Stayed October 2009
Houston, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

We booked at this hotel because the Web site says that the "living area is separated from bed by privacy wall," which was important to us traveling with an infant. When we arrived, this was not the case. The sitting area faces the beds directly, and with the couch and chair walking areas is limited. It would have been impossible to use the sofa bed and access the bathroom. When we arrived we were told that the hotel was undergoing some renovations, and we didn't have a fridge in our room. But if we needed one they said they could get one for us that night. No fridge arrived despite asking twice. It did arrive later on the second day. And to top it off, the beds were soooo uncomfortable.

On the plus side, the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

Very clean, comfortable rooms, although the pullout sofabed makes walking between the fridge/sink/business desk and the sleeping are a little difficult.. Particularly friendly staff. Decent pool and hot tub. Very good breakfast with good hot/cold options. Facility tucked away in the back of Rsearch Triangle area. If you are going to the city of Durham, it is a little bit of a drive, but a very easy one at that.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

The good:

- The living room and bedroom are somewhat divided by a wall.
- The TV is positioned between the living room and the bedroom and can swivel to be viewable in either room.
- There's free wifi.
- The fridge is very cold.
- There's plenty of pillows (5 pillows on a king size bed), with varied fillings.
- There's an abundance of electrical outlets, for us gadget junkies.
- There's a phone on the desk in the kitchen area, and there's another phone in the bedroom.
- Furniture, light fixtures, etc seem to be in good condition.
- There are 4 mirrors in the room, which would be useful if traveling in a group. Or really awful, if you're a vampire.
- There's an indoor pool & jacuzzi.
- I'd put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door, and housekeeping left a very courteous voicemail message on the in-room phone letting me know that if I needed anything, I could get it from the front desk.
- Breakfast had variety. There were: milk, chocolate milk, tomato juice, yogurt (activia & dannon light & fit), waffles, grits, muffins, donuts, english muffins, bananas, apples, toast, oatmeal (with a bunch of different things you could add, like raisins & walnuts), bagels, 4 or 5 different cereals, coffee (of course), hot cocoa, apple juice, orange juice, eggs, & sausage. It was a really decent spread, actually.

The bad:
- The fridge was cold, without having a temperature adjustment control. My bottle of water was half-ice, when I got around to drinking it.
- The walls are thin. I had Room 106 which is right next to some room used by the housekeeping and other staff, and could hear them in the morning and in the evening.
- The toilet is apparently made/placed for someone with really short legs and really long arms. It's really low to the ground, and you can barely reach the toilet paper dispenser while sitting on it.
- The a/c gets too cold, even on the lowest settings.
- The hair dryer sucks at drying.
- Housekeeping knocked on my door at around 9 am the morning I was due to check out, to ask when I was checking out.

For the $59/night that I paid, it was definitely worth it overall. The room was spacious and clean (with the exception of one hair on a mirror), and the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank chicken260
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

Used Marriott points to stay.

ok - location- very weird location in a business park or something?

NO ATM ON SITE!! There is a small "market" in the lobby that has frozen dinners, ice cream, microwavable foods and toiletries.

Missed the breakfast (it ended at 930am on Sat.) so I cant comment- apparently its a decent spread! Eggs, sausage, biscuits, etc.

The room - there were two beds and a pull out couch - more than enough space! - two TV's, microwave, small fridge, a desk for working (free internet!). The bathroom was a bit small - the sink is outside of the actual toilet area. Good water pressure and good water temperature. The bed was comfy - the walls are T H I N (so if you are *ahem* loud.. take note!!!!)

there are lotttttts of food choices within a 3 minute drive- sushi to fast food - you will find it.

I would stay here again but I would like to try other nearby choices first.

• Stayed February 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Ms.Me2
usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

This was our second stay at the SpringHill Suites, and we have no complaints about the staff/property. Yes, the rooms are showing some signs of age, but I understand that a projected renovation of the property has been put on hold. Our room was more than adequate for two people, and our requests at the front desk were handled promptly and courteously. I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple