“Nice hotel”

Ranked #19 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Durham, NC
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are local and I went with my wife for a night away from the kids. Overall we liked the hotel but did have two issues. First, when trying to go to bed, it was constantly noisy. People would walk by talking very loudly to go to their room. We weren't even near the elevator but people from maybe 11 pm to 1 am (and some later) would talk loudly going to their rooms. Each time may last just a minute or two but it would happen regularly during that time. We had trouble going to sleep because of it.

Second, the drinks at your bar were quite expensive. My wife got a bottle of beer for $5 which was rather pricey. But my $14 for a Long Island Iced Tea was insane. I have never heard of a drink being that much money. I bet you could go to New York and have trouble finding a drink for that price. I had no idea it was that much until I got the bill. I wouldn't have gotten it if I had known.

The general manager Bill Clancy apparently sends an email to all guests asking how their stay was. I mentioned the above. He wrote a very professional response back and was happy with how he handled it. If we do get another chance to escape, we will definitely consider this hotel, especially if they have the same low rates when we booked this one.

Room Tip: Before ordering a drink at the bar, ask how much it is.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dwe1978
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, without honest feedback we cannot improve. Please accept my apologies for the noisy guests near your room. Guests are noisy from time to time and it is difficult to manage them when they are just passing through the hallways, I am truly sorry. When we are alerted to any noise we dispatch security to investigate. I did not see any notes regarding noise on our security report.

I have reviewed our beverage prices. Our beer price is typical for a hotel bar and in line with our competition. I do agree with you that our long island iced tea price is too high. This drink typically contains more alcohol than any other we serve and is our highest priced. However, $14.00 is too much. We have changed the price of our long island iced tea to be more in line with our competitors. I look forward to your next visit.

Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The staff went out of their way to be as helpful as they could be and really outdid themselves. The room itself was everything I have come to expect from a Marriott. We definitely were NOT disappointed.

Room Tip: The upper floors (5th and 6th) give you 24-hour access to the hotel concierge
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your feedback. We have the friendliest staff in town that truly go out of their way to please our guests. We look forward to your next visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

In town on business, the client booked this hotel and I'm very glad to have stayed there and would again in that area.

Front desk staff: EVERYone on each shift was excellent in knowledge, helpfulness, and friendliness. High praise especially to Ron who seemed to do lots of different jobs - check-in, help with gift shop, package delivery, order-taking for room service. He is the most even-tempered front desk person I've ever encountered.

Rooms: nothing extraordinary in size or amenities. It was immaculate! The housekeeping staff must be so thorough. I did not spot a spec of dust anywhere. So unusual especially with all the stuff there is in a hotel room. So nice to have that level of cleanliness. I did have trouble regulating the a/c -- it seemed to be VERY cold or not so much. But that's a personal thing.

Bathroom: What I've found in the last few hotels I've stayed in that I find odd in design was here: the grab bar for the tub/shower was on the side where the toilet was. It is not the side from which anyone could comfortably enter or exit the tub! I am always a bit uncomfortable about not holding on when I exit a tub, afraid of slipping on the floor esp. when there's only a bathmat and not a rug w/ suction. Shower pressure was great. Towels were plentiful and of good quality.

Missing was a vanity mirror. For any of us who are nearsighted .. it is a MUST. I am hopeful that seeing this, the hotel and its owners will consider investing in those for all rooms.

F&B: I ordered room service each of two nights for dinner. Excellent food at reasonable (for room service) prices. Highly recommend the salmon.

Lobby Starbucks: It's limited service and they need the cups for cold beverages. What I appreciated when I ordered an iced beverage was being told they only had paper cups that would get a bit soggy quickly. THAT was the best -- the information ahead of time. (I did get an iced drink, knowing I could pour my bev into something sturdier when I got to my client's office.)

Gift shop: It's a smaller one and more self-service than not. It had a great variety of snacks including real food items; electronics; office supplies; even some local items to bring home as gifts. It was missing newspapers. USAToday was available for all; I didn't see the New York Times or Wall Street Journal, both of which would have been a bonus to have.

Airport shuttle: There is one and it runs regularly. I opted for a cab back to the airport and the front desk was helpful in calling one. (I tried Uber which does operate in Raleigh; alas, the hotel is outside its operating area. I didn't try TaxiMagic.)

To the GM and others who hire and train employees: thank you. It was a great experience. My "very good" is high for me -- very few hotels get an "excellent" rating since my standards are so high. When one works and trains others in the hospitality industry, it means I am more discerning!

Room Tip: I was in 312, not too far from the elevators, and it was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Our front desk staff is the friendliest in town. Ron is just of of the many staff members that goes above and beyond to plase our guests. Thank you for noticing our clean rooms. We feel we have the cleanest hotel in town. Many of our housekeepers have been here for several years and they do a great job. We receive great comments about our food and beverage often. The main comment is that our food is not typical hotel food. This is true. Our food is outstanding. Our gift shop (corner pantry) is open 24 hours and our complimentary shuttle is available in a 5 mile radius. Thank you again for your feedback.

WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed here recently on our way to the OBX. The exterior and parking area were clean and well kept. The staff at the check in desk were friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was a wedding party at the hotel the night we stayed there but our room was still very quiet. We didn't hear any noise from the hallway or neighboring rooms. We will definitely stay here again on our way south. We booked this hotel directly through the Marriott site and got a great rate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. C,

Thank you for your feedback. We have the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town. Our friendly staff goes out of their way to please our guests. Our banquet space is away from our guest rooms so our guests are rarely disturbed. I am happy to hear you will stay with us again. We look forward to your next visit.

Tatsfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Fantastic location for business travellers to RTP. Close to the Park but also easy to get out to South Point in the evening for restaurants and shopping. Everything you need, which on first impressions are a little basic without the frills but actually very comfortable. Good bar with a nice atmosphere and a good choice of bar meals. Breakfast great as well. My only complaint is the swimming pool, which is small and an odd shape, so limiting!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Althea,

Thank you for your feedback. We have a great location inside the Research Triangle Park. We are right off I40, close to 540 and just a few miles from the airport. It is easy to get just about anywhere from our location. We have excellent food and beverage options. Besides the restaurant you can dine at the bar too. For breakfast we have an excellent buffet including omlets in addition to the menu. Our pool, although oddly shaped, is fairly large with plenty of room for everyone. There is also a whirlpool. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Greenville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stay at this particular hotel majority of the times that I'm in Durham. The staff is always friendly and helpful. I always get a good nights rest. The rooms are very comfortable. I will definitely continue to stay here and I recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking for a comfortable place to stay, plus it's in a great location.

• Stayed April 2014
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are conveniently located right off I40 and close to 540 and the airport. We have the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town. Our staff goes out of their way to make guests feel at home. We are in the top 5% for overall guest satisfaction compare to all Marriott hotels in the Americas. We look forward to your next visit.

Manhattan, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

The front desk staff was wonderful, polite and helpful. The room was clean and the bed was SO comfortable. The only problem I had was that the walls seemed VERY thin. I had a room that had an adjoining door to the next room. Although I didn't know the person on the other side, I could hear EVERYTHING they were saying to each other. I thought maybe they were just a bit loud, but then realized I could hear through the other wall a bit too. Next time I would probably request a room that didn't have that adjoining door. Other than that, it was a great stay and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, without honest feedback we can not improve. Please accept my apologies for the noisy room. I wish we knew your neighbors volume was too loud. We would have been happy to ask them to quiet down or relocate you to a different room. The rooms with connecting doors can allow more noise than our standard room. Plese feel free to request a non-connecting room for your next visit. I am happy to hear about the polite and helpful staff. We have the friendliest staff in town. We look forward to your next visit.