“Above Average but Not Excellent Stay”

Marriott at Research Triangle Park
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Midwest
“Above Average but Not Excellent Stay”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at the property during a weekend visit to the Raleigh-Durham area. The hotel is located off of Miami Blvd in the Research Triangle Park area. The first challenge with reaching the hotel is that the "Marriott" sign on Miami Blvd is small and low to the ground where one can easily miss it, especially at night. To help others, the driveway off Miami Blvd is right across the street from the Hilton Garden Inn. Upon arrival at the hotel, there was a brief wait to check in since the front desk person was in the back, apparently doing something for the one person ahead of me. The desk was only staffed by one person whenever I went to the front of the hotel. Each staff person was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel room I was assigned was on the ground floor. Generally, I like high floor rooms, but the ground floor room was fine. I did not hear any noise from the room above me, nor did I hear noise from surrounding rooms. The room featured an entry way with a hall table and mirror, a flat screen TV, single serve coffee maker, small empty refrigerator, comfortable and spotless bed, bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, blow dryer), etc. In addition, I was greeted by a nice basket with four or five snacks, two bottles of water, and a nice note welcoming me as a Marriott Rewards member. This was a nice touch. There was a problem with the icemaker at the end of the hall not working properly (ice was jammed in the dispenser so no ice could come out of it). In the hotel's defense, I did not report the ice machine issue, as it was late at night when I discovered it. The hotel shower had good water pressure and wonderful hot water. There was also free basic internet (guests have the option to upgrade the internet service). The desk area featured at least four electrical outlets along with A/V ports. There One thing that was missing was a "Do Not Disturb" sign which could have saved me the housekeeper's knock on the door the morning I was scheduled to check out. Also, bathroom cleanliness was average (an errant hair or two from another guest, etc.).

As a previous poster mentioned, it is helpful to have a car at this property. Parking is free at the hotel. There are various dining options on Miami Blvd. Also, the hotel is within reasonable driving distance to the Southpoint mall area, which includes a wide range of dining and shopping options.

I had a pleasant stay at this hotel. I gave the Marriott bonus points for the comfortable bed, arrival snacks and nice handwritten note. I would rate it a 3.5 overall if that were an option on Trip Advisor. I could not give this property an excellent rating since the bathroom was not completely spotless and the ice machine was not functioning properly. I would consider staying here again if I had a reason to be in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AroundTheWorldInADay
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are conveniently located right off interstate 40. There is signage along the highway, on the exit ramp and immediately off the exit, in addition to our ground sign, directing you to us. We feel we have the friendliest staff in town and our overall guest satisfaction scores are in the top 25% compared to all Marriott hotels in the United States. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the snack basket upon arrival to your room. This is not a standard, however something we do here to go above and beyond the norm. We do offer free basic internet, perfect for checking email. If you prefer more bandwidth that is available as an upgrade. Please accept my apologies for the bathroom not perfect. I have reviewed this with our housekeeping team so we can improve going forward. We offer a complimentary shuttle service within a three mile radius and are close to several restaurants and shops. We hope you will consider us again in the future.

Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pasco, Washington
Reviewed September 7, 2013

the RTP Marriott is a nice hotel close to both Raleigh and Durham. The location isn't the greatest; there's nothing really close enough to walk; so transportation is a must.

the hotel has a nice pool, hot tub and decent gym. Haven't eaten there so can't comment on restaurant. the bar is nice and has a great staff; I'll comment that I find the pours a little short for my taste.

rooms are standard Marriott; all the amenities you'd expect.

hotel has internet for a fee (below par for throughput and speed) and free parking.

scrutineer44,

Thank you for your comments. We have a great location just off route 40 and close to 540. It is a great central location to visit UNC, Duke or downtown Raleigh. We offer a complimentary shuttle service within a three mile radius of the hotel, which is close to many restaurants and shops. Our fitness center was remodeled this year and has state of the art equipment. I am sorry you were not a fan of our pours. We follow the Marriott guidelines for bar service. We offer free internet good for basic things like checkling email and offer higher speeds for an additional charge. We have 50 MB capacity throughout the hotel. We have a clean hotel with excellent service. We look forard to your next visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott at Research Triangle for a family reunion during the Labor Day weekend. It was a great experience. From the outside, the building looks old, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The interior of the building is spotless. From the lobby to the rooms. We had a standard room with a refrigerator. There is no microwave, but it wasn't needed for an overnight stay. The bedding was clean and the bathrooms were clean. The lobby area is spacious and had a bar area. You can sit and watch television or enjoy the company of others. The indoor swimming pool area is clean with no soot floating around the water. The hot tub was wonderful and it was also clean. We one of their banquet halls and it was comfortable and the service was great. The food was tasty...nothing over-the-top delicious, but it was a decent meal. The only thing I would complain about is that there are no trash cans or other trash receptacles in the lobby area or outside of the building. I understand that this is done in order to have the staff remove the trash for you but it is an inconvenience when you want to throw away a tissue or a handful of trash. Some trash you just don't want to hand over to someone's bare hand for them to throw away for you because it's nasty. Overall, I was pleased with our stay. The price was outstanding. You don't find nice, well-kept hotels for a price under $100/night. I will definitely go back to this hotel whenever I'm visiting the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tflipp,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay. We feel we have the cleaniest and friendliest hotel in town. Our overall guest satisfaction scores are in the top 25% compared to all other Marriott hotels in the United States. You are correct about the trash cans. We feel the trash cans take away from the overall feeling of cleanliness around the hotel and are happy to assist our guests with their trash. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 19, 2013

we started and ended our North Carolina trip at this property. we chose it because it was in the middle of Raleigh, Durham and chapel hill; all places we wished to visit. Wish I had chosen the Durham Marriott, so we could walk to restaurants. The cities are all very close together. As it was Marriott offers a shuttle to area restaurants which worked out fine, but nothing like walking. Same Marriott standards-very comfy beds and welcoming staff. Inside pool was fine as was hot tub. The lounge for gold/plat. members had a good variety of items for our last night as we were leaving too early in the morning to go out anywhere, for our comfort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your feedback. We are conveniently located in close proximity to several local attractions, universities, etc. We are also conveniently located just minutes from the airport. Our shuttle does operate in a three mile radius of the hotel to include many restaurants and the airport. Our service is the best in the area. We are in the top 25% of all Marriott hotels in the United States for overall guest satisfaction. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The people at the Marriott in Research Triangle provided my absolutely best stay ever for a family reunion. For once, I have thoroughly enjoyed the food, the results of great personal room service and cleaning, reading on the marvelous, wrap-around patio, a perfect poolside, work-out room and simply outstanding desk service. Every worker I encountered was genuinely warm, helpful and courteous. I will not forget my stay at this very warm and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We feel we have the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was feeling pretty good about this full service hotel until I ate dinner in the restaurant. It was abysmal. With a room full of empty tables, I waited at least five minutes for someone to come out of the back and seat me. I should have had enough sense to leave then. The food was average hotel fare, at best, and the service was pretty rough. I left most of the food on my plate.

Any other options for eating require a car, although there are several places within a short drive. There was a small refrigerator in my room, so I could stock up on some supplies from the Walmart Market (south on S. Miami Blvd.)

The front desk staff was very pleasant, although they didn't seem particularly knowledgeable about the local area (like Umstead State Park right down I-40, for example). The hotel in general seems relatively new or renovated, with a nice lobby area and sleeping rooms. My room was comfortable enough, with a huge flat screen TV, a king size bed, an armchair, and desk area. I struggled to find the right balance on the air conditioning, but nothing out of the ordinary for a hotel.

I didn't use it, but the fitness room seemed large and well equipped, with, among other things, four treadmills.

The Marriott is an ideal location for visitors to the Research Triangle Park - my commute to RTI was a whopping two miles door to door. Another option folks have recommended is the Hotel Indigo just south of I-40, also on S. Miami Blvd. Maybe I'll give that a try next time.

Not a bad place to stay as long as you plan to eat elsewhere.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the poor experience in the restaurant. This is not typical. I just finished a six month stay in the hotel and ate most of my meals at the hotel because the food is far better than your typical hotel food. We also offer a complimentary shuttle service within three miles of the hotel for those who prefer to dine out. Our fitness room is modern with lots of space and equipment with built-in TV's. We are far superior than the Hotel Indigo you referenced and are in the top 25% of all Marriott hotels in the United States for overall satisfaction. I hope you consider us in the future.

partridge, KY
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel staff was superb; accommodating at all times. We were given printed and verbal directions when asked where a local store or restaurant was located. We've never been treated any better at any other hotel; from the maids to the manager, the hotel staff was excellent. At different times when a staff member would see me carrying a piece of luggage, they would offer to help.
My son and I were in the area on a business trip. The food was also excellent. It was a wonderful experience! I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the area. It is the best hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: I stayed at the back side of the hotel on the first floor and it was very quiet. I did not use the...