“Excellent Two Nights”

Marriott at Research Triangle Park
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Everything was great. Airport shuttle service, nice clean rooms, pleasant staff, good food. It is a older facility, but maintained nice. No restaurants within walking distance, so if you don't have a car you at limited in food choices, but the food at the hotel is good, but rather expensive.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank David S
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We feel we have the cleaniest and friendliest hotel in town. I am happy to hear you had a great experience. You are correct about the restaurants within walking distance, however, we offer shuttle service within a 3 mile radius for your convenience. I look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Marriott at Research Triangle Park

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel is located within Research Triangle Park and so is convenient to many of those facilities as well as to RDU airport. Apart from location, though, there is no reason to stay here. It is remote from anything other than a small handful of fast food restaurants about two miles away and a couple of other similar hotels nearby. The upside to that is the area is wooded, quiet and uncongested. Parking in a surface lot is free. The hotel itself is an older Marriott, which on the interior is indistinguishable from other Marriotts of this vintage -- clean and comfortable, but just basic lodging. Nothing special at all. The concierge club is extremely small and does not offer the same level of amenities and offerings of those in larger clubs. Bottom line is that if you need to be close to meetings in RTP or to the airport this is an ok choice, but otherwise you would do better elsewhere in the Raleigh Durham area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are an older hotel but have kept up with renovations over the years making us modern inside. By year end we will remodel our concierge lounge. We more than make up for our age with our outstanding service. We are in the top 25% for overall satisfaction out of all the Marriott hotels in the United States. Our location is great, just minutes from the airport and I40, as well as, centrally located to Duke, Chapel Hill, UNC and Raleigh.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Very nice hotel, hey, it's a Marriott.

As a Gold Rewards member it is nice to be appreciated and I was at this hotel. From a room upgrade to access to the executive lounge.

Hotel is about three miles from RDU. Used the airport shuttle to and from the airport. Great, free service. The drivers could not have been nicer. All the staff we encountered at the hotel were great.

The room, once again was a typical Marriott, i.e., nice!, Room was clean, well light and had a 42" flat screen TV, with a great selection of channels

There are no restaurants around the hotel so if you don't have a car you can eat in the hotel restaurant, we did, it was OK.

2  Thank TravelGuyNY64

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We feel we have the cleaniest and friendliest hotel in town. I am happt to hear you received great service, I will share your comments with the team. I look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great location......central to RTP and airport. As with business travel, first nigth rates were higher, but other two nights brought total cost to a reasonble level, especially for a full-service Marriott. Reception staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms have very nice updated look and usual Marriott amenities. Didn't eat at restaurant, but had appetizers and drinks at the bar. Was there middle of the week and always had good service. The chef also came out a couple of times to check on patrons......nice seeing that extra level of customer service. Can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are just minutes from the airport and have some of the best service in town, thank you for recognizing that. We are continually looking for ways to update our property and will have a new fitness center for your next visit. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while up in the RTP area. Check in was easy and friendly, and we were up in our room in a matter of minutes.

The room was fine, nothing special. Very standard for a Marriott--and the beds were quite comfortable. The bathroom showed its age--I could see where the shower curtain bar had been removed and replaced with a new one. The TV had a limited amount of channels, which is weird because I had about 70 channels at my last stay at the Fairfield Inn in Myrtle Beach.

We also had access to the concierge lounge. It was...well, average. It wasn't great, but wasn't bad either. Breakfast was a little limited, but fruit and cereal was all I needed. The lounge attendants were fine, but nothing extraordinary.

I would stay here again if up in the RTP, but if another full service Marriott offered a competitive rate, I'd probably go there first.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, without honest feedback we can not improve. I am truely sorry you felt your experience was average. We strive to be far above average and as a result our overall satisfaction scores are in the top 30% of all Marriott hotels. I will share your comments with the team so we can continue to improve our service going forward.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent staff! As a much too frequent traveler with pretty specific preferences in hotels and service, I've consistently been impressed with the quality of the staff: attentive, knowledgeable & welcoming.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be the same
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Miccig,

Thank you for your feedback. It's nice to know you had a great experience at our hotel. I look forward to you staying with us again soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We went on a Saturday and Sunday (Easter Weekend) and there was hardly anyone there, including staff I think. Our room was never cleaned on Sunday. A room with 2 double beds only comes with 2 sets of towels? I had to get more from the front desk which was no problem. BUT come the next day between visiting the pool and having a towel from there and the towels we had from the 4 of us, a towel replacement would have been nice! We had to go back to the desk to again request towels and someone brought up 3 more.
Our room was nice (they are really double beds too sometimes they are queen when they state double not here) and the bed was comfy. However typical to Marriott they give you a SHEET and a heavy comforter with duvet on it! I was dying at night it was too cool for just a sheet and too warm for the comforter. I wised up and took my son's throw blanket he brought and it was perfect the second night. And btw, I was sleeping next to the ac with it blowing on me (which was NOT the issue, I am used to sleeping under a fan). I really wish they would at least put a spare blanket in the closet as an option.
There was this cute little woman working the front desk both days and she was so very pleasant and talkative (in a good way) we really liked her. Ashia I think is her name, I can't remember, but I hope they don't let her go, she is such a friendly face always smiling and seemed happy to be there. The rest of the staff was nice and friendly too, my husband and I had to interact with her for info on what to do around there.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, only one time did we see anyone even on our floor. So I have no complai...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Valerie D,

Thank you for your feedback, without honest feedback we can not improve. My apologies for the missed room cleaning, that should not have happened. I have reviewed this with the team. Thank you for the comments about the great staff. I will share your comments with them. I look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Bill

Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park
Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park
Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#6 of 22 in Cary
SpringHill Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Research Triangle Park

Been to Marriott at Research Triangle Park? Share your experiences!