“Couldn't Find a More Friendly Staff”

Marriott at Research Triangle Park
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stay at this hotel every other month or so for business. I have a choice of many other hotels but always come back to Marriott RTP because of the people. Whether you are checking in, in need of something in your room or eating in the restaurant you feel like you are in great hands. There is a real sense of engagement and ownership of the customer experience. Just a few months ago I was there and it had snowed a bit. My rental car had no ice scraper so I started up the car and resigned myself to the fact that I was just going to have to sit patiently until the windshield/windows melted a bit. When out of nowhere a Marriott staff member startled me by scraping the snow off the car and windows. What a pleasant surprise! I attempted to tip him and he refused multiple times. How's that for service?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Bethabum,

Thank you for your feedback. What a great story about the window scraping. We truly care about service and try to go out of our way to help our guests. It's great to hear you experienced this. I look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Marriott at Research Triangle Park

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This Marriott appears to be "older" from the building, but it is updated and extremely clean. The staff is very friendly. I would definitely stay here again. Located only about 4 miles from the airport. Has a Starbucks and a large lobby.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank travelingcircus38

Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We try very hard to maintain cleanliness and friendly staff. It is great to hear you encountered both. We look forward to your vext visit.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

After a 15+ hour day, and away from home on Valentine's Day, the staff, accommodations, food and comfortable room/bed get an A+. I will always return to this hotel when I am in town - for business or relaxing. They even gave me a small bag of chocolates ;0)

Room Tip: All around excellent! I didn't have time for the spa (on business) or know if they had one but...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dianne D

Dianne D,

Thank you for your feedback. We wanted to something special for our Valentine's Day guests to show we cared. I am pleased to hear you were happy with the chocolates. For next time we do not have a spa but do have a pool and hot tub. I look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I come to RTP several times a year and I have finally found the hotel I will always use there. Service is impeccable... The lobby is sleek, and not so giant that you can navigate and move around easily. I need to note that Newton's, the in-house fine dining, is absolutely excellent with a diverse menu. The bar has a great atmosphere too. All staff I have encountered were extremely good. The shuttle service is seemless and friendly and efficient. The property is extremely close to the airport but it is nestled back in a peaceful wooded area. I have stayed at a few places in Raleigh Durham.... this one stands out.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your comments. It is wonderful to hear you had such a good stay with us. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a nice, clean, well-run hotel with a friendly staff and convenient location. My only disappointment is in the constant rumble and noise coming from below my room on a conceirge floor. If there was work being performed in the hotel, the staff should have notified guests of this in advance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for you comments about our staff, we pride ourselves on having friendly staff. Please accept my apologies for the noise. We have recently made some repairs to our elevators that has eliminated this. I look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stay at this hotel everytime that I am in town for business. The hotel is ALWAYS clean, Im always greeted with a courteous and genuine smile. I always feel like this is my home away from home when I am here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear Elijah,

I was delighted to read your review this morning and wanted to sincerely thank you choosing to stay with us each time you visit for business. I know each of our team members want this to feel like your home away from home and we will do our best to go above and beyond to ensure you have a productive and wonderful experience. I will be sure to share your review with our entire team.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We know we will see you soon and look forward to thanking you in person! Have a wonderful New Year and again, thank you for making us your home away from home.

Always at Your Service,

Maria

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This property was recommended to me by my client and I have stayed there 10 times in the past 8 months ... before switching to another hotel in the area. My observations are as follows:

1) this hotel appears to working at minimum staff levels in all departments - there is rarely more than one bellman, one front desk agent, one waiter, and so forth on at any time. The impact on service is not necessarily severe, however, you can also tell that there isn't any slack in customer service interactions. Phone take longer to get answered for room service or at the front desk, room service is just a bit slower, even with a buffet breakfast, finding wait staff to organize your bill and such all takes just enough longer that you notice it and that you would typically expect of a hotel that caters to business people on the move.

2) front desk staff is pleasant and generally helpful - nothing special, but nothing negative either

3) bell staff - wow, what miserable attitudes. One guy NEVER smiles, NEVER talks, NEVER makes contact of any kind with you when picking you up from the airport or dropping you in RTP. Another is a pissed-off NASCAR driver - again, no conversation, no greeting, no nothing except to lurch furiously from one corner to the next ... talk about "driving angry"! These guys need an attitude adjustment ...

4) rooms are "close" - clearly this hotel was a make-over from some other owner previously and the rooms are adequate, but nothing spacious to be sure. You will need to be prepared for some gymnastics in the bathroom, however - hard to get the door closed when you're occupying the space between the tub, the commode and the sink.

5) Wifi is generally okay, but can be slow on occasions

6) TV channels are restricted - only those Marriott thinks you should watch.

7) Property is near to the airport and near to RTP - all upsides if you're in a hurry.

Again, this hotel simply feels "tired" - the rooms feel tired, the staff appears tired, the food is tired ... and while there's nothing particularly wrong or bad with this property, it's not an uplifting or particularly positive experience staying here either. Would I use this Marriott again if I needed to ... yes, but it's not my first choice by far.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChangeDoc
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear ChangeDoc,

Thank you for submitting your review. I, along with our team, were completely taken aback by your review of your recent stay with us. We strive to ensure every guest has an exceptional stay and I sincerely apologize that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations.

As a Marriott, I want to ensure we have the most engaged team members here to serve our guests at all times. We offer amenities such as the shuttle, the restaurant to be a great benefit for our guests. However, we did not impress and several of our team have already gotten together to discuss.

I sincerely value your feedback and would ask you please contact me directly to discuss your stay, so that I may get the details so I can handle these situations and address with individuals that you encountered so that we personally discuss this review. This is not up to my standards as a General Manager or as a Marriott.

I thank you for your feedback and I do look forward to hearing from you soon.

Always at your Service,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park
Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park
Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle
SpringHill Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Research Triangle Park
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#6 of 22 in Cary

Been to Marriott at Research Triangle Park? Share your experiences!