Marriott at Research Triangle Park
Travelocity
$81
$68
Priceline
All reviewsthe concierge loungefront deskresearch triangle parkgreat hotel for businessclose to the airportbusiness tripindoor poolthe raleigh durham areacomfy bedexercise roomlobby areanice staynorth carolinashuttle servicertpjohannaibm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott at RTP for a multipurpose trip. The hotel is clean and neat. Our room was kept tidy, well stocked, and in good working order. The staff is awesome. The food was mediocre. The bar had a good selection. Parking was free.

Now the ugh part, breakfast was cold. I ate a made to order omelette which was "dry". Tiramisu that I got with room service was so bad/sour neither of us could eat it. We booked an advertised "Romance Package". The package was suppose to come with a bottle of Champagne on arrival...still waiting. Upon reservation I requested extra towels and pillows (this was a romance package). On the confirmation the requests were duly "noted". I assume those items are with the Champagne, wherever it is. Okay, what also made it a romance package was complimentary snacks, hors d'oeuvres, and so forth. These were available in the exclusive Concierge's Lounge. Upon arrival, we realized that the Concierge's Lounge is closed on the weekends....this was to be part of our weekend romance package. Movies are not available to be purchased. So remind me again what exactly we got out of the package that we paid extra for?

The sink faucet was so loose that it moved all around when in use (Room 650). There is not a single place to get free internet access in the hotel. Dial up and DSL are available in the rooms for a fee. Wi-Fi is $10 a day. The most I have paid in a LONG time. This is a business/conference hotel, give me a break.

If any consolation the staff refunded the price of the horrible tiramisu. We also got offered chocolate strawberries on arrival that we did not ask for and happen to be allergic to. I left this hotel feeling deceived and angry. I have waited a couple of days to think this through before I wrote this review.

Room Tip: Book across the street
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank mkennedy38
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The hotel was very current in design, the staff was very friendly, they took the time to chat with me at the desk. Great location, close, but not too close to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I travel to RTP often for work and typically stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center in Durham. I chose to stay at the Marriott for my most recent trip primarily for the indoor pool and exercise facilities. The Sheraton has neither one. You need to go to the Gold’s Gym (for a fee) and they only have an outdoor pool. Unfortunately, I got more than I bargained for at the Marriott. My first night, the A/C died, which was unpleasant as North Carolina is rather warm in May. They sent someone to repair the unit and it turned out that it wasn’t going to be an easy fix. I was promptly transferred to a different room. My second room seemed to be comfortable enough until about 2am when the bathroom sink decided to overflow on its own. Yes, the water backed up into the sink and onto the floor. There is nothing more soothing than waking up to the sound of water trickling onto the tile floor. I called the front desk and the night manager came upstairs with a handful of towels to clean up the mess. Apparently they do not have 24-hr maintenance. Prior to leaving for the morning I stopped by the desk to ensure that the issue would be resolved. I did not opt for a new room as this was already the second one for the trip and it was only the second day. I should have switched rooms because the mystery waterfall appeared the next day as well. At this point, I was tired of the whole stay and couldn’t wait to leave. I will have to say the front desk was very apologetic and attempted to rectify the situation. I was offered Marriott Reward points for my trouble but was never actually awarded the points. I did not bother contacting the hotel because you should not have to ask for customer service especially after my stay there. There are plenty of hotels within the area that will have my business instead.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I walked into the Marriott RTP and was wowed by the excellent service I received at the front desk. Unfortunately, my stay was plagued with problems.

First, my room was not serviced at all for two days -- I returned to the room temporarily in the middle of my second day when the cart was next door, and when I returned in the evening, they had never come back! Really unimpressed.

My heater is propped up with a wooden board, and the space between the heater and the window frame, which is several inches, is just letting in cold air (it's winter). Seriously? Also, the heater is really loud -- bad bad bad for light sleepers; it woke me up turning on and off every 10 minutes.

Second, the hotel is literally in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you have a car so you can get to the depressing strip malls a couple miles away, or in a perfect world, Durham or Chapel Hill; otherwise, you are stranded here with nothing but an overpriced hotel restaurant.

Finally, the internet issues at hotels has become a major pet peeve of mine, as I cannot do my job without internet access. I stayed here for a conference about online services, so you can imagine my dismay when I discovered I was unable to log in to the hotel's internet. Two hours later (which I wasted on the phone with an IT tech when I should have been working... it's not even MY problem!), they had me move rooms, where I discovered still nothing was working. 24 hours later, I still barely have internet, like most of the folks here for the conference. Good thing I'm not actually paying for it, which I really discourage you do!

The one saving grace about this hotel is the excellent staff.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Wonderful location with big rooms spacious enough for our family with wgood room service.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family