“Room Size Very Disappointing!”

Holiday Inn Express Durham
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed December 27, 2010

My family and I were in the area for the NC High School Football State Championship Finals. I booked this hotel because it had suites and we had 5 people in our room. I've stayed in many hotels and choose Holiday Inn Express if available, as the brand is usually very consistent.
When we arrived the hotel staff was very nice & helpful, but we were very disappointed at the room size. This "Suite" advertises sleeps 5 but the couch (which was smaller than a love seat) didn't even fold out into a sofa bed. Where exactly is the 5th person supposed to sleep? The room was so small there wasn't even space for a rollaway bed. My husband and I were traveling with 2 teenagers and our 11 yr old daughter. The couch was so small that she couldn't even sleep on it comfortably. She wound up sleeping on the floor. Breakfast was also a bit disappointing as well. No fruit, hard boiled eggs were still frozen and food selection was limited. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for families.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed November 24, 2010

The hotel was situated right off I-85 and only 1 exit away from Duke University. We had a room on the second floor. It was very clean with a mini-fridge and microwave. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The only thing I did notice was that the water pressure in the shower was not as high as Holiday Inns normally have ... But otherwise our room was perfect. The free breakfast in the morning had tons of options. And the staff, especially Joshua at the front desk, were very helpful by providing directions and accommodating to our needs.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I arrived in Durham late one evening and was not at all happy with the accommodations at the hotel where I had made reservations. I call the Holiday Inn and inquired about room availability and was given a non-smoking room with a King Sized bed at the end of a hallway. The night desk clerk knew I was a woman traveling alone and took this into consideration when assigning my room. What a nice room!!! Large, flat screen TV, refrigerator, microwave, a work desk with great lighting, loveseat and coffee table. This hotel has to be new because everything looked new. It was a very quiet in the room. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. This hotel is right off a highway and not necessarily in the best neighborhood but the doors are locked at night and there are security cameras in the parking lot and throughout the facility. I felt very safe because I was coming and going at all times of the day and night. My stay was for 6 nights and the breakfast every morning was a welcome addition. I would recommend this hotel to anyone! It may not be classified as "luxury accommodations" but it was more than I expected for a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My wife and I were returning from family business and were running way behind schedule. We did not arrive at this hotel until close to 1AM. We did call ahead to hold the room but it sure was nice to get a nice, warm welcome by the desk clerk.
He explained the free breakfast, etc. and we were on our way. The room was very clean and all amenities were where they should be.
Holiday Inn Express is quickly becoming my preferred hotel chain and this particular one did not disappoint.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2010

This hotel is very adequate for staying while on the road. The hotel is directly on Interstate but was very quiet. Room was clean and neat and had a new LCD TV with lots of channels. It is not located in the best neighborhood but food sources are available within a short drive. The pool was large and well kept and refreshing. Bed and shower were Holiday Inn quality which is Good! Staff was very helpful and polite.
We would stay here again while traveling through the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MickeyD777
Reviewed March 11, 2010

First time stay was 02/2010 and found the rate for 2 double beds to be a good value. As a Priority Club member, I found the room clean but the welcome package was somewhat 'lean' when compared to other cities.
I also thought it odd that it seemed that there were no rooms with king-sized rooms (non-smoking) on the property!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Second stay at the HI Express in Durham. The staff is very friendly and helpful and my room was clean. There are the basic amenities here, breakfast is included. Good location for easy access to highway and university. No complaints.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo