“Trip to Duke”

Holiday Inn Express Durham
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Great hotel. Great staff and easy location to find. Breakfast was great and the service #1. If in the Durham, NC area check out this hotel you will like it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 15, 2009

Stopped at this hotel as my halfway point returning from Montgomery, Alabama to Philly. Hotel has free Wi-Fi, but my old win98se laptop isn't usable. I miss the ethernet cable! Business center is great. Staff is friendly. Location is just off of the interstate and food joints are plentiful...just ask the staff. Room was clean, had a small fridge, microwave and complimentary gift for the Priority club member. I always bring my surge protector in my laptop bag for additional outlets for my recharging needs. Will make this hotel a favorite on the sites.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Flew in to watch Duke basketball game and stayed one Tuesday night. Booked one double-bed room online via ichotelsgroup website for $94 night. Staff was friendly. Was told at check-in that I had reserved a room with king bed, but was quickly remedied by pleasant staff member I believe is named Gwen. Located right off the highway and easy to find. Room located on fourth (top) floor facing freeway. Did not have any problems with noise while sleeping- and I consider myself a light sleeper. Duke campus was nearby and drove through downtown to eat before the game. Property was probably on the older side as the room did not have a flat-screen tv as in other properties which was fine to me. Also bathroom had a chip near toilet paper holder and a broken tile in the shower ceiling. Hot water seemed to get hotter throughout my shower at night but that can be expected when it’s near 20 degrees outside. Took advantage of the complimentary breakfast in the morning which was served by a very friendly and professional female staff member. Enjoyed the free USA Today newspaper. It’s not Sunday brunch with omelettes made to order, but the eggs, biscuits and cinnamon rolls fresh out of the oven and apple juice were enough for this vegetarian to make it to the next meal. Overall a nice, comfortable stay where the friendly staff more than make up for what others may not consider ‘perfect’. Definitely hope to be back for a game next year!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2008

The hotel is directly off the exit so very convenient. Staff was friendly and able to give us ideas on where to eat dinner. Our room was nice except that there was mold in the bathtub. I didn't see it since I didn't lay down in the bathtub, but my hubby did and didn't tell me about it since he knew I'd want to switch rooms and he didn't feel like lugging the luggage. One thing that is annoying is the ac unit is the room was very loud. You kind of get used to it after a while though.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2007

My friend and I stayed here for a night on our SE USA road trip. We wanted something off the highway for easy access to Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Durham is in between those two places. It's also close to the airport.

We got a room that was a little bit bigger since I'm a Priority Club member, which was a complete surprise to me since I never got any perks before. Our room was at the end of the hall so it was quite. The room was clean and modern. Internet and parking were free so that was good.

There's no restaurant around the area, but that didn't bother us since we wanted to go to downtown Durham for dinner. However, it would be a problem for someone who wants a restaurant nearby.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank cooknsew105
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Excellent Value for the money. Excellent and very friendly service. Unlike previous reviewer, we had no trouble at all connecting with the internet. The room was spacious and very clean. It was also very quiet, even with the road work going on outside. They have a shuttle to Duke Med, but we did not take advantage of it. Overall, an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank MetMom
Reviewed February 17, 2007

This was typical Holiday Inn Express except we overlooked the highway! There were no convenient places to eat nearby and we were on the third floor which made taking our dog out very inconvenient. We also had major problems connecting to the internet and spent time on the phone with their support people. I guess we would stay here again if only for the cinnamon rolls and cookies!!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple