“Clean hotel but not for the light sleeper”

Holiday Inn Express Durham
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Charlotte, NC
“Clean hotel but not for the light sleeper”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located right next to a major interstate. While it is a clean hotel with a friendly staff, the walls of the building are paper thin- much like you would experience in a cheaper hotel. For $115-120 a night, we expected a better built facilty, especially considering the location next to heavy traffic. The hotel had a nice breakfast buffet, although limited, and the dining attendees were very helpful. For heavy sleepers, not a bad place but if noise keeps you awake, skip this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

Second time staying at this hotel, first time was fantastic, had it not been for the desk lady's attitude toward me on the last day I would've rated it very good. Rooms, breakfast and everything else was fine. It is the closest hotel to where I needed to be which I why I choose to stay here.

The day I left I requested a late checkout for 2pm. I'd fallen asleep and woke up around 1.50pm and gathered my things. At 2.05 the desk lady rang me and asked when I was leaving in a very rude way. I explained politely I was on my way out just had to get some stuff together, she was still very rude. I was walking out the door not even 5 minutes later when the phone rang again, I ignored it as my hands were full and continued down to the lobby. As I left I apologised for taking my time as I had so many shopping bags and luggage and the desk lady just looked at me rudely and ignored me. I asked if there was a problem and she started going on about how I requested a late checkout and that it was 2.15 and that I shouldn't still be there. I was so shocked at the way she spoke to me. I asked her why she was acting that way and she replied with some smart comment. I was just stumped! I did not expect any special treatment for this but the worst thing is that I am an employee of IHG in Australia and she was aware of that, I am also a Platinum Priority Club member. If this is how she treats customers of my status then I am just astounded. I had to walk out of there before I lost my cool so I didn't manage to catch the name on her badge. I'll be finding out who she is and complaining directly to IHG, and because of this experience I will most likely never stay at this Holiday Inn again.

The lady who I dealt with was the older African-American woman. Maria wasn't at breakfast this time either, it was another woman who never smiled at me once. 0/10 for her. The security man is absolutely lovely though, really nice guy and so are the rest of the desk attendants. Such a pity that one employee can change my whole opinion on the place. Shame on you

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

I stayed in Durham w/ my husband over a weekend & had a comfortable stay at the Holiday Inn Duham. Our hotel room was clean & spacious, we stayed in a double bed room. Flat screen TV was nice. Complimentary breakfast was good, the lady working the breakfast bar was very friendly. I had read some reviews about noise, but I didn't notice & we stayed in room 218 on the side that faces the road. My only complaint was a slow elevator, which is nothing really. We took the steps.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grapebgirl
maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

Can't find a thing to complain about here. Clean, comfortable, nice-sized king room, flat screen, microwave, mini-fridge, close to Interstate 85, breakfast included. Can't ask for much more than that. Kudos to Angie for the quiet room! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Bedfordshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

Very good. Pretty much impossible to fault. Reviewed on the basis of it being a hix and not the Ritz, it gets top marks. The hotel is right on the I85 but we could only just hear a rumble of traffic and we were on that side of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Providence, RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed in a king bed non-smoking room. The room was well appointed, large, and comfortable. Everything in the hotel was very clean. The bathroom was very nice and full of fluffy towels. Fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in the room, as well as ironing board and hair dryer. The staff was very friendly. The area was industrial, so you had to drive if you wanted to go out to eat, but that was fine. The hotel is right next to the highway, which was convenient. We had the fan on in the room all night - a quiet fan - and we were not able to hear traffic noise from the freeway. The bed was very comfortable, even for a traveler in 3rd trimester of pregnancy! The bed had a firm foundation with a soft top. The pillows were plentiful and nicely squishy. We will definitely stay here again if we visit the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

This hotel was nicer than we expected for such convenient lodging at a moderate price. It's a lovely little hotel with nice landscaping, large parking lot and comfortable seating areas in the lobby.

Pros:
Convenient to I-95
Fast, friendly check-in with a "Welcome Gift" of bottled water and trail mix
Large room with comfortable love seat couch
Plenty of usable surfaces - bench for suitcases, coffee table, desk, etc
Comfortable beds
Oversize mini refrigerator and microwave
Great tasting water
Bright task lighting everywhere it's needed
Clock radio dims at night
Free Wi-Fi and USA Today
Large, LG flat screen TV
Powerful shower and soft, absorbent towels
Great variety at free breakfast - eggs, sausage, biscuits, etc
Mery, the breakfast room attendant, was friendly, efficient and helpful
The breakfast room is large with lots of very comfortable seating.
There is also an outdoor seating area for breakfast
Express check-out available

Cons:
Some highway noise because of proximity to I-95
Toilet is very low to the ground
The ice maker was broken on our floor
Lumpy, uncomfortable pillows
No exhaust fan in bathroom

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from I-95