“Just not up to par”

Dickey's Barbecue Pit
Ranked #360 of 803 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Barbecue, Fast Food
Description: Taste why Dickey's Barbecue has been the world's best barbecue since 1941! Try our 8 juicy, hot, pit-smoked meats, like our southern pulled pork or our family recipe polish sausage. We even offer 11 home-style sides, like our creamy coleslaw and fried okra. Purchase a digital Dickey's gift card: http://amzn.To/1v7Mj0I Don't forget we're also your catering experts! Any event, any size - let Dickey's do the cooking, and you can take the credit. Graduation parties, weddings, office functions, you name it! Dickey's Barbecue is the perfect catering choice for groups of all sizes - from 10 to 10,000! Kids Eat Free Sundays with the purchase of an adult meal & everyone enjoys FREE ice cream every day!
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Having eaten at Dickey's in the DFW airport many times and enjoyed it, I figured that a non-airport site would be at least as good and quick. I was also hoping to be able to counter some of the not-so-positive reviews of the Durham restaurant on tripadvisor, but alas, I cannot. The pork sandwich was dry and had very little BBQ or smoke flavor. The baked beans were so-so and the macaroni & cheese tasted -- and had the consistency of -- the store-bought packaged variety. Also disappointing was that the time it took from when we placed the order (all of one sandwich and three sides) until it was served was 21 minutes. Yes, we did come at a busy time, but still... All in all, do try Dickeys next time you're traveling through DFW, but you can probably skip this one.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Dickeys has great BBQ, chicken, and brisket. I had the "Baker", which is a large baked potato stuffed with grilled chicken, cheese, sour cream (and whatever else you want) on it. The sweet tea is excellent, and everyone gets free ice cream for dessert!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had my first visit here prompted by a gift certificate I received. I ordered takeout and got the family pack. We chose the sliced beef brisket and turkey breast. Both the brisket and turkey were tender and juicy and very flavorful. The sauces I got were the original sauce which was a standard vinegar based sauce and the Carolina sauce which was a sweet tomato sauce. Both were very good.

The sides we ordered were the jalapeño beans, corn on the cob, and the baked potato casserole. In addition we received about 30 hush puppies which I was told come with the order (no complaints from me). The beans had a spicy kick to them, the potatoes were mashed with bacon, cheese and green onions, and the corn was nicely steamed.

The family pack says it serves 4-6 but we certainly got more out of it and it turned out to be about $1.50 per person. Not a bad deal at all.

I will certainly go back.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have been to Texas, and other than the real location(s) in the Dallas area, you jsut dont get the real feel. It is good food, but too commecialized. Everything is measured!!! NOT IN THE TEXAS SITES!!!

Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is barbecue country, so that a place calling itself "barbecue" etc. ought to be good, and this one isn't.