“Possibly the best in town!”
Review of Sitar

Sitar
Ranked #162 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Durham, North Carolina, USA
“Possibly the best in town!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Have tried many Indian restaurants in the Durham/Chapel Hill area, and have been pleased with some and disappointed in others. But Sitar seems to consistently satisfy our expectations. Good food, nice atmosphere, good service, reasonable prices. If someone asked me where to go for good Indian food, this is where I would send them.

• Visited September 2013

Southport, North Carolina
“Good Food”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the Buffet at this, our first visit to Sitar. The staff were very pleasant and welcoming and drinks service was prompt. The buffet was well laid out and appealing. There was a mixture of vegetarian and meat, mainly chicken, with one shrimp dish, serving as the non-veg selections.
The desserts were excellent.
Overall, a pleasant evening and a meal that was good value for money

Visited August 2013
Bahama
“Dynamite Supper Buffet”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We typically order from the menu but went with the buffet and were very impressed. An excellent variety of meat and vegetarian dishes, salad, rice, salad, nan, appetizers and desserts. The only thing we ordered extra was the spiced hot tea. This is a must do again and soon!

• Visited May 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Best Indian restaurant in Durham NC”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm no vegetarian, actually have been off and on on the Atkins diet which is mostly meat and eggs. BUT , I could eat most of my meals there because of the terrific way they combine their vegetables. Many are almost "stew", and they make mundane vegetables great with spices and combinations and cooking skills. I only go buffet because I can't remember what's what's and just put a tiny portion of almost everything, eat slowly and remember what I liked best, then go for seconds and get half as many choices but larger portions of those.
I eat out all the time but this is the only restaurant that I do this, partially because the owner who is a friend from my gym tells me none of his food is too "spicy". Easy for him to say, he is Indian and I'm southern. Grits with pepper is spicy to me. It's not cheap at lunch, I eat too much there but highly recommend that you do if you are in Durham, NC. Bob Ross

• Visited February 2013
Portland, Oregon
“great music, accommodating staff, spotty food”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

we ate in Sitar twice in the past several weeks, and enjoyed the sitar/tabla duo immensely. Our first dinner (generally, the buffet is our first choice) was excellent. On the second night, many of the dishes were over-peppered. We mentioned this to our server. Within a minute, the manager approached, apologized, offered to make any dinner dish we wanted, and did all he could to be accommodating to us. We could never quite understand what had changed, so this note is meant as a caution to readers rather than a kibosh on a basically-good restaurant.

• Visited April 2011