“Perfection!”

Tobacco Road Sports Cafe
Ranked #29 of 782 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tobacco Road is not a sports bar. Brothers Brian, Alex and Rommie Amra share a passion for both sports and good food. Unfortunately, they found that their favorite places to watch the game were never the same as their favorite places to eat, and decided to remedy this for the people of the Triangle. As a result, the Amras are unwavering in their insistence that as much emphasis be placed on the menu as what’s on the 40+ HDTVs that surround guests in the Tobacco Road bar. For a quieter and more formal dining experience, guests can enjoy their meal in the main dining room or reserve Tobacco Road's private dining room for special events. Tobacco Road strives to provide its guests with: 1. Fresh, delicious food. 2. Exceptional service. 3. All that the sports fan could ask for.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I chose Tobacco Road Sports Café in Durham for my daughter’s wedding rehearsal dinner a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be the perfect choice for this big event.

Rommie and his staff more than exceeded my expectations in every way. They were easy to work with as I kept changing the details of the dinner during the many months of planning, and on the day of the dinner quickly made the necessary changes as the weather (ie: Tropical Storm Andrea) required the dinner to be moved from their outdoor patio to the interior banquet room.

And the food was amazing!! Many, many, many compliments about how delicious everything was from the dinner guests. The wait staff kept things flowing at just the right pace, and treated us all like royalty. A splendid time was had by all!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Since Tobacco Road is right down the street from my house I come here or I may even travel to the Durham location to meet up with friends. They have good food and at the Durham location you can have your own recliner with a tray attachment for your food to be placed on. Both locations have outside seating and are located in the downtown area close to everything. They have a friendly staff and great drink specials.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We frequently go to DPAC to see various shows. Every time we go to dinner first at Tobacco Road Cafe which is so convenient to the theatre. That isn't the only reason why we chose to go there as there are more restaurants within walking distance but the others we've tried haven't given us a great experience. They are friendly upon walking in and usher us right to a table where we are greeted very quickly by a friendly server. The menu is large enough with plenty of choices with even for healthier items. When Rommie one of the owners is at this location he goes from table to table asking if all is ok. I like that. This is a great restaurant with good prices and great service but more than that I've never had a bad meal there not ever.

1  Thank Lois D
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Was in town and needed a place to go and see the UF-Tenn football game. Quick searches turned up Tobacco Road so off we went. With the mixed reviews we saw I was a little concerned but was not disappointed at all.

First, the number and locations of TVs was outstanding. There was something for everyone. Smaller rooms, larger rooms, "family room" seating in your easy chair, etc. Not sure why others have complained about this. Saw the Gators chomp up on the Volunteers on multiple screens which was my first priority.

Was also intrigued by the website description that this was not your typical sports bar food. We were not disappointed. Although we did not go through the entire menu it looked like it had choices for everyone, including those looking for standard sports bar food. We had the fried green tomato sandwich and the fish tacos (or gorditas as they called them). Both of these were exceptional. The fish had a chili rub and was grilled and not fried with good slaw and sauce. Dessert was disappointing but we usually do not go to a sports bar for good desserts.

The final interesting feature of this restaurant is the patio that overlooks the Durham Bulls stadium. It was a gorgeous night out and the view was fantastic. No game going on but i could only imagine how great it would be to watch a game from that patio.

All in all it was a great experience.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Pretty simple, this place has decent and tasty food, but the service is HORRIBLE. I ate there two nights in a row since I was staying at the hotel next door. Both nights it took over 10 minutes just for a server to show up at the table. Drink orders were taken both nights and then another 10 minutes passed. By the time I got my beer both nights it was luke warm and NOT cold. On both nights my food was ordered, but came out wrong. First night I ordered a burger with bacon and cheese, no cheese or bacon to be found. Second night I ordered nachos without black beans, and I got extra black beans as there wasn't a single bite without me having to scrape the beans off the chip. Overall the food is tasty, but it is definitely lacking in the service department.