“So Glad I Stayed Here”

Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“So Glad I Stayed Here”
Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

I loved this place and will definitely stay here again. My room had 2 queen beds, and a separate living room area with sofa, coffee table, and desks. It had 2 half baths which were perfect, microwave, fridge, TV, Internet. Both the lobby and my room were extremely clean and appealing. The towels were very soft and the beds very comfortable. The manager's special in the evening was a treat with wings, chips and dip, various cheeses and fruit and drinks. Breakfast had good variety. Internet was a little slow, but all the other features were worth it. Staff was friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here in the future.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Hello Ronilynn777,

I would like to thank you for your business and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. The title of your review "So glad I stayed here" is also greatly appreciated. I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Ted Franzese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 30, 2014

I am a business traveler and while I have stayed at many Marriott properties, I have not stayed at a Springhill. I was pleasantly surprised by the open lobby with vibrant colors. My room was spacious and had a slight division between the beds and the living space. The desk/work space was comfortable and allowed me to get settled in quickly and get some work down after a full day. I plan many more visit to this area and will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello Myasis Dragon 1,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review. Both are greatly appreciated. I was happy to see that you are planning to stay with us again. That is certainly our goal with all of our guests. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Our room/studio was spacious, attractive and quiet. The price was reasonable. The problems we encountered at this hotel had to do with the severely restricted number of staff members working various jobs. It was particularly bothersome at breakfast, where a large number of eager eaters overwhelmed the two-person staff, who were working diligently. The one toaster available stayed broken during our five-day stay. One day the orange juice dispenser was broken; another day there was no oatmeal. So many guests made accessing the breakfast line, and finding a place to sit, very difficult. When I spoke to the manager, I thought he might go over and help out; he didn't. On another day, we had no fresh towels or shampoo in our room. Probably the maids had too many rooms to clean. I think they may be going bankrupt? I was once a Marriott Platinum, but I will choose Hyatt Place the next time we are in town, and we come often.

Room Tip: The rooms are not the problem.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Paul G
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Hello Paul G,

I would first like to apologize for what was an unpleasant stay. Your service issues will be discussed with all the appropriate team members, managers included. We apparently did a very poor job of covering for one another during our morning rush and for that I sincerely apopolgize.

There is no excuse for what you experienced with our toaster. Apparently one of the two sides had a short in it and it should have been replaced. That was careless on our part and embarrassing to read.

I hope you will call me personally should you decide to give us another chance. I would love the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and the service we provide.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I was extremely surprised when I entered the room, the set up was amazing. This Springshill has put to shame some Courtyards and Marriott at bigger cities. If I am in the area again, I will make this place a home away from home again.

• Stayed August 2014
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Hello Rlmorganjr,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit such a kind review. Both are greatly appreciated. We are truly glad you enjoyed your suite and hope that you will come see us again soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Yum yum... super friendly stafff. Very clean. Make new friends in the lobby! The plans for the future grounds look awesome. Cant wait to come back! Mostly because of Ericka - because she is amazing!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hello Kayla B,

I am sorry to inform you that your review did not go to the new property located in Cary. However, that hotel is under the same ownership as ours and I will be happy to relay your comments about Ericka to the hotel's General Manager. Thank you for staying at the SpringHill Suites. It is appreciated.

SpringHill Suites Durham/Chapel Hill
CT
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

While the suite we reserved was comfortable ( 2 queen beds and a fold out couch sitting area) and the hotel appeared freshly decorated, there were some disappointments. Since responding to a survey from the hotel I have been contacted by the manager re some of this issues. Sadly, some of those issues were explained away by informing me that a recent change to the Marriott family resulted in loss of perks?? I was a Marriott Rewards member for years but drifted away because of disappointment with the chain such charging a la carte for perks automatically included at other hotels. Part of the reason I decided to try a Marriott again was because the Springhill suites still,offered free parking and breakfast.
Some issues: our large suite was designed to sleep 5 people yet we only got 3 bath towels each day. When my sister went to the front desk one evening to request more towels she felt as though she was putting the staff out.
BTW, the front desk was woefully understaffed with only on person resulting in waits to check in, pay for Market items, request room towels or pool towels.
On our first night we gave up on using the hot tub and pool as it was crowded and there were only 6 chairs in the pool room. How is that adequate? Since it was raining the overflow couldn't make use of the outside seating area.
In the second night we waited until 10 pm when the room emptied out. It was obvious that no one was assigned to maintain the pool area as there were wet towels overflowing the small return basket with the remainders strewn in the floor and over every chair. It would be nice if guests at least cleaned up after themselves, but the appearance of this room made it apparent that no staff had been in there for a long while. When we got into the hot tub we found it to be lukewarm with no way to adjust the temp. A visit to the front desk - and the usual wait- resulted in being told that the engineer on duty was no linger in to rectify the problem. The manager has since confirmed that he does, in fact, leave at 10 pm. Does that mean that he left without checking on the pool and hot tub? If he had checked before leaving he would have realized the hot tub was losing temp for some reason.
This is minor, perhaps, especially if you are not a coffee drinker, but I was disappointed to find out that there is no 24 hour coffee in the lobby even though in-room brochures advertise it. The woman at the desk explained that 24 hours meant an in-room coffee maker. I hate powdered creamer so she was nice enough to get me some creamers. But a coffee maker that makes one mug of coffee is a bit silly in a room that sleeps 5. We also had to take turns using the 2 mugs provided. There were no disposable hot cups. The manager contacted me to explain that, now that they are a Marriott they are 'not required' to provide 24 hour coffee in the lobby. Sad. Therein lies the reason that I drifted away from Marriott-withdrawal of complementary amenities.
In summary, Springhill has bee refurbished and looks really nice- but it needs to work on the quality of its amenities and service.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Shaps2
Hello Shaps2,

I would first like to apologize that your stay with us was not a more pleasant one. When our guests are not provided with the quality of stay they expect, we at least try to make proper ammends. I believe we have done so.

The lack of cleanliness at the pool should indeed not have happened and that has been thoroughly discussed since your stay with us. I again apologize for that and understand your disappointment. As for the temperature of the pool and spa, they are checked daily. The spa is kept at 102 degrees. I can not say for certain what the temperature was when you entered the spa but as a general rule we find very little fluctuation from the 102 degree level. Note the Health Department will actually close our pool down if they find the temperature above 104 degrees. That is noted on the pool signage.

The 24 hour coffee service has been ended as we repeatedly found the coffee to be cold and stale by mid-afternoon. We found there to be very little demand for it. I am sorry that not all the literature regarding the coffee service had yet been removed. In conclusion, I again apologize for the quality of your stay and hope that will not prevent you from using the Marriott chain in the future.

Marion
Reviewed August 13, 2014

My family and I stayed At the Marriott Springhill Suites in Durham North Carolina, for 3 months this summer. While our newborn twins were in the neonatal intensive care unit at UNC Chapel Hill.

The hotel manager Ted Franzese and his entire staff were amazing throughout our entire stay. They were all very supportive during our very trying time in life, often asking about the well being of the twins and were very accommodating with each and every request during our stay.

The kindness demonstrated by Ted and his staff allowed us to feel that we had a home away from home.
A comfortable clean upbeat nicely kept place to return to after a long day at the hospital.

One twin is now home and the other is getting stronger. Hopefully our family will all soon be together back in Illinois. We will always look back upon our time at the Durham Springhill Suite with great fondness and will be sure to stay there when we return to visit the many friends we have made over our summer of 2014 at the Marriott Springhill Suites in Raleigh Durham NC

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank TedVanAcker1
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hello Mr. VanAcker,

Thank you for the very kind review. When I am asked what is the favorite part of my job I always respond "it's the truly special people you meet that appreciate what we try to provide". You and your family are certainly among the most special people I have had the opportunity to meet over the years. Your warmth and kindness are appreciated by myself and the rest of our staff.

Our thoughts and prayers remain with the health of the twins and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future. We hope when you return it is for reasons other than the health of your family. Thank You again Mr. VanAcker. You are always welcome here.