“Return trip was a bummer”

SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed here in back in 2011, and my stay was so great that when I moved to NC, I recommended this hotel to anyone who would listen. I've since moved again but travel to NC for business and was excited to stay here again. Unfortunately, it did not meet expectations and I'd be reluctant to stay here again with all of the other great options in the area. Pros: Staff is still great, the location has improved somewhat with a number of restaurants now within walking distance (5 guys, Moe's, Applebees, Outback, Bob Evans etc.); decent location between Chapel Hill & Durham and close to I-40, free simple internet. Downsides: my room smelled very musty- it was very strong- I tried to open the windows to get some fresh air in, but they only open about 2 inches. Second, and not the hotels fault, but frankly it ruined my stay in the middle of the night I was awakened by a party on what seemed like every side of me- loud rap music, swearing, doors slamming- this went on through most of the over night. It seems some kind of group was staying at the hotel and they even left their "Youth Build" calling card under my door. I feel like the hotel could have done more about it- admittedly, I didn't call and demand that they do something about it, anyone in that hotel had to be aware of their presence- they really should have been kicked out. The next night was Duke reunions weekend and so it was again, pretty loud though not as out of control. The bed was adequate but not cozy and the tv didn't work great (scrambly picture). None of these things were the end of the world but the bottom line is it was not the amazing stay I had 3 years ago- and frankly for the asking rate of $130-$160 a night, there are better options in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid 316 and rooms that are right above the outside doors if you don't like the smell of smoke
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Hello Yainey,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We appreciate all feedback, positive and negative in the hopes that we will use that information to improve. I would also like to thank you for the kind remark regarding our staff.

Upon receipt of your review, two managers and I went to your room to see what the smell was that you encountered. At that time there was no smell. I'm sorry for whatever it was you encountered but it appears to be gone now. As for the windows opening just a couple of inches, that is a requirement for safety reasons. You will not find windows that can be opened at any new hotel.

As for the noise, I sincerely apologize to you. I understand that guests top expectation from a hotel is to be provided with a good nights sleep. We failed to provide that to you and you have every right to be disappointed.

Finally, I hope you will call me at 919-403-1111. I would like to speak to you further about your stay and see if we can't find a way to restore your faith in our hotel. Thank You!!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We find this hotel to be an excellent value for the price we pay (military rate). We have 4 kids and are quite comfortable in the double queen rooms with the sofa beds. The rooms are clean, the free breakfast is good, and the hotel shares a parking lot/courtyard with several restaurants. The pool and hot tub area are clean and adequate, although the pool is small! The staff is always professional and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Hello Marcelle279,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a positive review. It's great to see that we are your "Go To" hotel in the area. That is certainly our goal with all of our guests. I greatly appreciate all of your feedback including the comment regarding our professional and friendly staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have been staying at this property on a fairly regular basis for the last couple of years in connection with training meetings that I conduct some distance from the property. While there a number of other options closer to the training site, I have chosen this particular Marriott property due to its convenient location to other amenities. In my previous trip, there was an error in my billing and when I called to get it corrected, Ivanna was more than eager to help, as was Mr. Franzese, the GM. On my most recent stay i was fortunate to meet both of them. Mr. Franzese was able & willing to help me out with an accomodation that I needed and Ivanna was very helpful & gracious. Provided I am in the area in the future, there is no place else I would prefer to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DickC107

Hello DickC107,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and positive review. I have shared your comments with Ivanna and we both thank you for those remarks. I'm glad to see that we solved your billing problem and that "there is no place else you would prefer to stay." We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

After getting over my surprise at the location (in a strip mall - as a new yorker, I'm not used to that at all), my wife & I found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and everyone there to be very helpful. The rooms were up to date and very clean.

The hotel amenities were ample for an extended stay, reasonably priced, hotel (also cheaper if you have AAA). The complimentary breakfast was great, with a variery of options. There is a bar on the premises as well. Loved the pool and hot tub.

The location is perfect for Durham/Chapel Hill without the cost of more expensive, near Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, hotels. Would absolutely stay here again when back in town.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Hello BklynTraveller2014,

I would like to thank you and your wife for staying with us and for taking the time to submit such a kind review. Both are greatly appreciated. I was thrilled to see that you "Would absolutely stay here again" as that is our ultimate goal with all of our guests. Thank you again and we hope you will come back to see us soon.

Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this location for a business function. I was very disappointed. Our meeting room was cold all week. My room was cold all week. My shower was cold all week. The rooms were nice enough, but temperature is a basic comfort and it did not meet my expectations. They also ran out of sugar for 2 days. We are in urban Durham. It seems as if they could have went out to get sugar. Also the lobby bathrooms were dirty and unflushed the entire stay. The housekeeping services were also lacking. Very disappointing for such a prime location.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank JodieBC
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Hello JodieBC,

I sincerely apologize for all the problems you encountered during your stay. I can be reached at 919-403-1111 to discuss what we can do to make proper ammends. I truly do hope you will call either myself or Joshua White, the assistant General Manager. You are correct regarding issues such as bathroom cleanliness and no sugar avaiablility. There is no excuse for either of those to happen.

As for the meeting room temperature, the hotel is truly in a no win situation. We had a couple of complaints saying it was too cold, we had others saying it was too hot. Our policy is to set the room at the temperature the presenter requests and that was done. As for your cold room and shower I must apologize, but I am also unaware of any complaints made to us that were not handled. Again, I hope you will call us at your convenince and I'm sorry your stay was not a more pleasureable one.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

My company had a week long confernce here at Springhill Suites. The hotel is GREAT!!! Check in was so easy and the front desk staff was so accommodating. The rooms are beautiful and VERY clean. I had to coordinate meals/snacks for the entire week through the Sales/Catering Director, Laura Pelltier--she is AWESOME!!! Coming from Atlanta, GA, she and I emailed and talked by phone to coordinate. She made great recommendations, and EVERY meal and snack has been perfection! Jose' has been a SAINT to work with this week--he has been the MOST accommodating and very polite :-) Big Kudo's to Laura and Jose'!!!

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor--very quiet, very clean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Hello Jlemoine123,

I would like to thank you and your group for staying with us this week. It was truly a pleasure having you here. I also greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding both Laura and Jose. I will certainly share your remarks with both of them as well as the rest of the staff. We hope to see you again in the not too distant future. You and your group will always be welcome here.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here with my coworkers on a trip to the area and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is bright and fresh, the rooms are very pretty. The location was excellent, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. I highly recommended this hotel!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Hello Katie L,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind review. It was great to see your high recommendation of our hotel as that is certainly what we strive for with all of our guests. We hope to see you again sometime soon.