“Our "go to" hotel when in Chapel Hill”

SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Richlands, NC
“Our "go to" hotel when in Chapel Hill”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We find this hotel to be an excellent value for the price we pay (military rate). We have 4 kids and are quite comfortable in the double queen rooms with the sofa beds. The rooms are clean, the free breakfast is good, and the hotel shares a parking lot/courtyard with several restaurants. The pool and hot tub area are clean and adequate, although the pool is small! The staff is always professional and friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hello Marcelle279,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a positive review. It's great to see that we are your "Go To" hotel in the area. That is certainly our goal with all of our guests. I greatly appreciate all of your feedback including the comment regarding our professional and friendly staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Ted Franzese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have been staying at this property on a fairly regular basis for the last couple of years in connection with training meetings that I conduct some distance from the property. While there a number of other options closer to the training site, I have chosen this particular Marriott property due to its convenient location to other amenities. In my previous trip, there was an error in my billing and when I called to get it corrected, Ivanna was more than eager to help, as was Mr. Franzese, the GM. On my most recent stay i was fortunate to meet both of them. Mr. Franzese was able & willing to help me out with an accomodation that I needed and Ivanna was very helpful & gracious. Provided I am in the area in the future, there is no place else I would prefer to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DickC107
Hello DickC107,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and positive review. I have shared your comments with Ivanna and we both thank you for those remarks. I'm glad to see that we solved your billing problem and that "there is no place else you would prefer to stay." We hope to see you again soon.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

After getting over my surprise at the location (in a strip mall - as a new yorker, I'm not used to that at all), my wife & I found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and everyone there to be very helpful. The rooms were up to date and very clean.

The hotel amenities were ample for an extended stay, reasonably priced, hotel (also cheaper if you have AAA). The complimentary breakfast was great, with a variery of options. There is a bar on the premises as well. Loved the pool and hot tub.

The location is perfect for Durham/Chapel Hill without the cost of more expensive, near Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, hotels. Would absolutely stay here again when back in town.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Hello BklynTraveller2014,

I would like to thank you and your wife for staying with us and for taking the time to submit such a kind review. Both are greatly appreciated. I was thrilled to see that you "Would absolutely stay here again" as that is our ultimate goal with all of our guests. Thank you again and we hope you will come back to see us soon.

Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this location for a business function. I was very disappointed. Our meeting room was cold all week. My room was cold all week. My shower was cold all week. The rooms were nice enough, but temperature is a basic comfort and it did not meet my expectations. They also ran out of sugar for 2 days. We are in urban Durham. It seems as if they could have went out to get sugar. Also the lobby bathrooms were dirty and unflushed the entire stay. The housekeeping services were also lacking. Very disappointing for such a prime location.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank JodieBC
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hello JodieBC,

I sincerely apologize for all the problems you encountered during your stay. I can be reached at 919-403-1111 to discuss what we can do to make proper ammends. I truly do hope you will call either myself or Joshua White, the assistant General Manager. You are correct regarding issues such as bathroom cleanliness and no sugar avaiablility. There is no excuse for either of those to happen.

As for the meeting room temperature, the hotel is truly in a no win situation. We had a couple of complaints saying it was too cold, we had others saying it was too hot. Our policy is to set the room at the temperature the presenter requests and that was done. As for your cold room and shower I must apologize, but I am also unaware of any complaints made to us that were not handled. Again, I hope you will call us at your convenince and I'm sorry your stay was not a more pleasureable one.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My company had a week long confernce here at Springhill Suites. The hotel is GREAT!!! Check in was so easy and the front desk staff was so accommodating. The rooms are beautiful and VERY clean. I had to coordinate meals/snacks for the entire week through the Sales/Catering Director, Laura Pelltier--she is AWESOME!!! Coming from Atlanta, GA, she and I emailed and talked by phone to coordinate. She made great recommendations, and EVERY meal and snack has been perfection! Jose' has been a SAINT to work with this week--he has been the MOST accommodating and very polite :-) Big Kudo's to Laura and Jose'!!!

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor--very quiet, very clean.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hello Jlemoine123,

I would like to thank you and your group for staying with us this week. It was truly a pleasure having you here. I also greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding both Laura and Jose. I will certainly share your remarks with both of them as well as the rest of the staff. We hope to see you again in the not too distant future. You and your group will always be welcome here.

Kent, Wa
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here with my coworkers on a trip to the area and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is bright and fresh, the rooms are very pretty. The location was excellent, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. I highly recommended this hotel!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello Katie L,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind review. It was great to see your high recommendation of our hotel as that is certainly what we strive for with all of our guests. We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2014

prefer to only stay at marriott hotels, and this location has been nicely renovated but . . .
we had a really unfortunate experience at this hotel -
no hot water for showers at 7:20am on a saturday morning-not even warm water. only cold.
and that's just for starters . . .
found multiple urine stains on the sofa sleeper mattress;
hot tub was so filthy that it was foaming with white scum + dirty tile in pool so we couild not utilize this facility;
not enough staffing to handle breakfast volume - tried to eat at 8:25am but buffet was depleted and tables unclean. returned at 9:50am and found the same problem;
and front desk (surprisingly) provided us with a "mattress pad" to use as a blanket (staff member
at front desk did not seem to know the difference).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Xirie
Hello Xirie,

I would like to apologize for the very poor stay you had at our hotel. It was embarassing to read your long list of complaints. We did waive all charges for your night's stay as a way of saying we're sorry for the problems you encountered.

Please note we did inspect your room thoroughly after hearing your concerns. Truthfully, we can not verify any urine stains on the sofa mattress nor could we recreate your hot water problems. The hot water for all rooms come out of the same boiler and we had no other complaints that day. We have put signs in all guest rooms explaining to people to turn the handle to the left for hot water. We put those signs in the rooms because guests would repeatedly turn the handle the other way. We understood that most shower units turn counterclockwise in order to get hot water. Ours do not and as such can lead to confusion for guests who have not stayed with us before. The fact that you had no hot water while our other guests did makes me believe the handle was being turned in the wrong direction. If this is done the water will never warm up regardless of how long it runs.

Again please accept your refund with our apologies for your unpleasant stay.