“Not impressed”

SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this location for a business function. I was very disappointed. Our meeting room was cold all week. My room was cold all week. My shower was cold all week. The rooms were nice enough, but temperature is a basic comfort and it did not meet my expectations. They also ran out of sugar for 2 days. We are in urban Durham. It seems as if they could have went out to get sugar. Also the lobby bathrooms were dirty and unflushed the entire stay. The housekeeping services were also lacking. Very disappointing for such a prime location.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank JodieBC
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Hello JodieBC,

I sincerely apologize for all the problems you encountered during your stay. I can be reached at 919-403-1111 to discuss what we can do to make proper ammends. I truly do hope you will call either myself or Joshua White, the assistant General Manager. You are correct regarding issues such as bathroom cleanliness and no sugar avaiablility. There is no excuse for either of those to happen.

As for the meeting room temperature, the hotel is truly in a no win situation. We had a couple of complaints saying it was too cold, we had others saying it was too hot. Our policy is to set the room at the temperature the presenter requests and that was done. As for your cold room and shower I must apologize, but I am also unaware of any complaints made to us that were not handled. Again, I hope you will call us at your convenince and I'm sorry your stay was not a more pleasureable one.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

My company had a week long confernce here at Springhill Suites. The hotel is GREAT!!! Check in was so easy and the front desk staff was so accommodating. The rooms are beautiful and VERY clean. I had to coordinate meals/snacks for the entire week through the Sales/Catering Director, Laura Pelltier--she is AWESOME!!! Coming from Atlanta, GA, she and I emailed and talked by phone to coordinate. She made great recommendations, and EVERY meal and snack has been perfection! Jose' has been a SAINT to work with this week--he has been the MOST accommodating and very polite :-) Big Kudo's to Laura and Jose'!!!

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor--very quiet, very clean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Hello Jlemoine123,

I would like to thank you and your group for staying with us this week. It was truly a pleasure having you here. I also greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding both Laura and Jose. I will certainly share your remarks with both of them as well as the rest of the staff. We hope to see you again in the not too distant future. You and your group will always be welcome here.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here with my coworkers on a trip to the area and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is bright and fresh, the rooms are very pretty. The location was excellent, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. I highly recommended this hotel!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Hello Katie L,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind review. It was great to see your high recommendation of our hotel as that is certainly what we strive for with all of our guests. We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

prefer to only stay at marriott hotels, and this location has been nicely renovated but . . .
we had a really unfortunate experience at this hotel -
no hot water for showers at 7:20am on a saturday morning-not even warm water. only cold.
and that's just for starters . . .
found multiple urine stains on the sofa sleeper mattress;
hot tub was so filthy that it was foaming with white scum + dirty tile in pool so we couild not utilize this facility;
not enough staffing to handle breakfast volume - tried to eat at 8:25am but buffet was depleted and tables unclean. returned at 9:50am and found the same problem;
and front desk (surprisingly) provided us with a "mattress pad" to use as a blanket (staff member
at front desk did not seem to know the difference).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Xirie

Hello Xirie,

I would like to apologize for the very poor stay you had at our hotel. It was embarassing to read your long list of complaints. We did waive all charges for your night's stay as a way of saying we're sorry for the problems you encountered.

Please note we did inspect your room thoroughly after hearing your concerns. Truthfully, we can not verify any urine stains on the sofa mattress nor could we recreate your hot water problems. The hot water for all rooms come out of the same boiler and we had no other complaints that day. We have put signs in all guest rooms explaining to people to turn the handle to the left for hot water. We put those signs in the rooms because guests would repeatedly turn the handle the other way. We understood that most shower units turn counterclockwise in order to get hot water. Ours do not and as such can lead to confusion for guests who have not stayed with us before. The fact that you had no hot water while our other guests did makes me believe the handle was being turned in the wrong direction. If this is done the water will never warm up regardless of how long it runs.

Again please accept your refund with our apologies for your unpleasant stay.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I booked this hotel for a visit to Duke. The staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful during the trip. The breakfast buffet was always fresh, hot & tasty. Any requests were handled promptly & the cleanliness was unparallelled. The only challenge was an issue with the air unit. It was handled within 10 minutes on the night of Super Bowl Sunday and, in the meantime, we were offered an alternative room, if needed. A brand new unit was promptly installed the next morning to fully solve the problem by the nicest & most professional gentleman. I am a frequent traveler and this hotel outshines every 5-star hotel in friendliness, attentiveness, cleanliness & superior service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank CWOrlando
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Hello CWORLANDO,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind and flattering review. I will certainly share your remarks with all of the staff including the maintenance employee you mentioned and the housekeeping and breakfast staffs.

Needless to say, it is our goal to have all of our guests leave here with such a positive feeling toward our staff and facility. I am very glad that we were able to provide you with that experience. We hope you will come see us again.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The service of Teresa at the front desk has compelled me to write a review on here. It is simply the best I have ever experienced. I am a seasoned business traveler. I have stayed at Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, and JW Marriotts among many, many other hotels. I have experienced excellent service before, but Teresa takes it to the next level. She makes every need or transaction effortless. She has every guest's name memorized (i don't know how she does it) and has never asked me for the same piece of information twice. When I left something in the lobby during one of my stays, she somehow knew it was mine and just gave it to me next time I checked in, to my surprise. Remarkable.
The hotel itself is not anything special, and the rest of the staff is not on Teresa's level, but at this point my loyalty for her is what keeps me coming back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Hello Jack S,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit your review. I truly appreciate all your feedback and have it shared it with the other staff members. I truly hope hope that when you return you will find all of our staff as accomodating and helpful as Teresa has been for you. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed at this property over the weekend with our college baseball team and couldn't have asked for more. From check-in to check-out the staff made us feel welcome and incredibly comfortable. The hotel is clean and modern, and it's perfectly located near many restaurants. If we are ever in the Durham area again we most certainly stay at this property.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Hello CoachBU,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind review. Both are greatly appreciated. You and your team are always welcome here and we wish you luck throughout the upcoming season. I will share your comments with all of our staff and hope we will see you again in the near future. Thanks again!!