“marriott rewards member thinks this hotel needs to clean up their act”

SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Sarasota, Florida
“marriott rewards member thinks this hotel needs to clean up their act”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

prefer to only stay at marriott hotels, and this location has been nicely renovated but . . .
we had a really unfortunate experience at this hotel -
no hot water for showers at 7:20am on a saturday morning-not even warm water. only cold.
and that's just for starters . . .
found multiple urine stains on the sofa sleeper mattress;
hot tub was so filthy that it was foaming with white scum + dirty tile in pool so we couild not utilize this facility;
not enough staffing to handle breakfast volume - tried to eat at 8:25am but buffet was depleted and tables unclean. returned at 9:50am and found the same problem;
and front desk (surprisingly) provided us with a "mattress pad" to use as a blanket (staff member
at front desk did not seem to know the difference).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Xirie
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hello Xirie,

I would like to apologize for the very poor stay you had at our hotel. It was embarassing to read your long list of complaints. We did waive all charges for your night's stay as a way of saying we're sorry for the problems you encountered.

Please note we did inspect your room thoroughly after hearing your concerns. Truthfully, we can not verify any urine stains on the sofa mattress nor could we recreate your hot water problems. The hot water for all rooms come out of the same boiler and we had no other complaints that day. We have put signs in all guest rooms explaining to people to turn the handle to the left for hot water. We put those signs in the rooms because guests would repeatedly turn the handle the other way. We understood that most shower units turn counterclockwise in order to get hot water. Ours do not and as such can lead to confusion for guests who have not stayed with us before. The fact that you had no hot water while our other guests did makes me believe the handle was being turned in the wrong direction. If this is done the water will never warm up regardless of how long it runs.

Again please accept your refund with our apologies for your unpleasant stay.

Ted Franzese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I booked this hotel for a visit to Duke. The staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful during the trip. The breakfast buffet was always fresh, hot & tasty. Any requests were handled promptly & the cleanliness was unparallelled. The only challenge was an issue with the air unit. It was handled within 10 minutes on the night of Super Bowl Sunday and, in the meantime, we were offered an alternative room, if needed. A brand new unit was promptly installed the next morning to fully solve the problem by the nicest & most professional gentleman. I am a frequent traveler and this hotel outshines every 5-star hotel in friendliness, attentiveness, cleanliness & superior service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CWOrlando
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Hello CWORLANDO,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind and flattering review. I will certainly share your remarks with all of the staff including the maintenance employee you mentioned and the housekeeping and breakfast staffs.

Needless to say, it is our goal to have all of our guests leave here with such a positive feeling toward our staff and facility. I am very glad that we were able to provide you with that experience. We hope you will come see us again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The service of Teresa at the front desk has compelled me to write a review on here. It is simply the best I have ever experienced. I am a seasoned business traveler. I have stayed at Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, and JW Marriotts among many, many other hotels. I have experienced excellent service before, but Teresa takes it to the next level. She makes every need or transaction effortless. She has every guest's name memorized (i don't know how she does it) and has never asked me for the same piece of information twice. When I left something in the lobby during one of my stays, she somehow knew it was mine and just gave it to me next time I checked in, to my surprise. Remarkable.
The hotel itself is not anything special, and the rest of the staff is not on Teresa's level, but at this point my loyalty for her is what keeps me coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hello Jack S,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit your review. I truly appreciate all your feedback and have it shared it with the other staff members. I truly hope hope that when you return you will find all of our staff as accomodating and helpful as Teresa has been for you. We hope to see you soon.

Binghamton, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed at this property over the weekend with our college baseball team and couldn't have asked for more. From check-in to check-out the staff made us feel welcome and incredibly comfortable. The hotel is clean and modern, and it's perfectly located near many restaurants. If we are ever in the Durham area again we most certainly stay at this property.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hello CoachBU,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind review. Both are greatly appreciated. You and your team are always welcome here and we wish you luck throughout the upcoming season. I will share your comments with all of our staff and hope we will see you again in the near future. Thanks again!!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We are local and booked a suite to celebrate daughter's 12th birthday with her friends. It was perfect for having a small indoor pool party (changing/bathrooms right by pool). The rate was great (AAA $87) being it was not a busy weekend in the Chapel Hill/Durham area. The suite was big enough for our group and nicely decorated/layout. Breakfast was basic hotel, and they could use more than one waffle iron as there was a big backlog, but otherwise coffee is excellent and lots of healthy choices. My daughter forgot her beloved pillow in the room, and we were thinking it was a goner, but as it turned out, they had it in their lost and found the next day! So happy about that and very thankful to the staff! This is a great location, central to both UNC and Duke, with lots of shopping/restaurant options.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Hello Jomarcus,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit such a kind review. I am truly glad your daughter's 12th birthday party was such a success. Those moments can turn out to be the truly special ones when you look back years later.

I hope you will find reason to stay with us again sometime soon.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Thia ia a GREAT hotel. In a good location, close to Durham and Chapel hill with multiple restaurant and shopping options immediately around the hotel. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are lovely. Large, modern rooms with separated toilet and shower facilities in the room. Both areas have a sink. Have state in both a king and double room (within a week of each other) and they were both roomy and comfortable. The availability of outlets is very good and the set-up of the desk area is very nice. Having a fridge and microwave is just another perk of this suite set-up.

The food options are very nice too. A large market area for various purchase options, plus they held a manager's reception in the evening and had a nice full breakfast in the AM, with choices that worked even for someone who has Celiac like me.

Overall, just a really good property and the one I will frequent when I am in the RDU area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hello efm16,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our property. I am also thankful for your business and hope you will come see us again soon. I will certainly share your comments with our staff and hope we will have another chance to serve you in the near future.

Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Excellent eco-friendly hotel. Rooms are very clean with big comfy beds and comfortable pillows. Could not hear anything from the hall or other rooms. Excellent breakfast buffet, including scrambled eggs, sausage and made-to-order pancakes. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hello Cheryl S,

Thank you for staying with us and for submitting such a wonderful review. It's great to hear that you would definitely stay with us again. That is certainly our goal with all of our guests. I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our rooms, the cleanliness and the quality of our breakfast. I will share those comments with the rest of our staff. We hope to see you again soon.