“Our "go to" hotel in Durham”

SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Western New York
“Our "go to" hotel in Durham”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I should have written this review a long time ago. My husband and I stay here regularly. It has been our preferred hotel in the Durham area for several years when we come for Duke basketball games. It is an easy drive to campus, conveniently located near shopping and dining. But most importantly, it is consistently clean, bright and welcoming. I love that they have both foam and feather pillows! Beds are very comfortable. The staff is always friendly and willing to go the extra mile. We love the modern design and the amenities, and hope to continue our stays at our "home away from home" for years to come.

Room Tip: If you don't want to look at the parking lot, ask for a room facing the park in the back.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hello skippysand,

I would like to thank you for your wonderful review. Being called "A home away from home" and your "Go to" property is everything we could ask for. I particularly appreciated your comments regarding the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Ted Franzese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
London, Canada
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Good well maintained building that is close to both Chapel Hill and Durham. Also conveniently located near shopping and casual dining options. We will definitely be coming back. Interesting room design. Very well maintained.

Room Tip: Rooms with one queen sized bed are roomier and give more seating area.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hello Gail B,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review. Both are greatly appreciated. I would also like to thank you for your comment regarding the very freindly and capable staff. That is certainly what we attempt to provide and I'm very glad we were able to do so during your stay. We hope to see you soon.

Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night this past weekend. We are Marriott rewards members and we typically stay at Marriott when we can. This property lived up the Marriott standards we are used to. Very clean and great staff. Quick check in. My only issue is with the Springhill brand in general.....I wish they would add fans in the two bathroom areas. I am not sure why they don't have them. Minor issue but worth a mention. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: First floor away from lobby is good if you have kids. Easy to get to pool and breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hello kkgump,

Thank you for your kind review, in particular your comment "very clean and great staff". That is certainly our goal and it's great to hear that is what you experienced. Above all, it's great to hear that you would stay with us again.

Thank you as well for your comment regarding the bathroom fans. We do indeed have them, but they are set on timers. That can be confusing to our guests, but being put on timers is done to help control temperature and humidity levels in the guest rooms.

We hope to see you again soon.

from everywhere
Reviewed November 3, 2013

- Very interesting interior design; by some miracle all the odd items match together to a cool hotel
- They use real plates and real forks and knives at breakfast, not the plastic/paper stuff! Environmental AND classy; loved it!
- Room layout was good and it was clean
- Good gym / pool amenities

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hello traveleverywhere 006,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and I'm truly gald you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds as though you were able to use most all of our facilities and I appreciate your comments on them as well. We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Booked this hotel for a few nights and was totally disappointed . The rooms are designed where the toilet area is behind one sliding see thru shadow door and the shower/vanity is behind another. Not much privacy on either. Also 30 minutes after breakfast was being served most of the food was gone , I think due to a sports team coming in early.
Not a good design Marriott!

Room Tip: Pick another place.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hello LKay113,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review. I truly am sorry that you did not care for the room design. It is certainly different than the standard hotel room design and as such some guests are not comfortable with it. Many of our guests love it while others are more comfortable with a more traditional design. Regardless, I am sorry it was not more to your liking.

As for the breakfast, food is available to replenish the buffet even after a rush. I was embarassed to read that the food was not properly restocked and your remarks will certainly be shared with the staff. Hopefully such a situation will not happen again. Please accept my sincere apology for your unpleasant stay.

Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a beautiful building that is convenient to almost anywhere in the Triangle area. The facility is new and appears well maintained. There are two downsides to staying here. The first is the food is of poor quality for a Marriott! The second is the staff really is reserved, not friendly, and preoccupied. Sad! It takes away from a hotel that could always be a 5!

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be a good location; I have stayed twice and both locations were quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hello NCJim397,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us. Both are greatly appreciated. I was very disappointed to read your comments about our staff. Those remarks will be shared with all staff members and will hopefully remind us that we are here first and foremost to service our guests. Shame on us for being too preoccupied to remember that.

I'm not sure what in particular you found to be of poor quality with our breakfast. Regardless, I'm sorry you did not enjoy it. I can be reached at 919-403-1111 if you would like to discuss it further. I truly would love the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and our staff. Please accept my sincere apologies for your unpleasant stay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels in the Raleigh/Durham area. The rooms are large, ultra clean, modern and the breakfast is great. I know this hotel probably caters mostly to business travelers but I think this is a great family hotel, as well. There are lots of shopping options in the area, as well.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hello JohnNYPlus,

Thank you for the kind remarks and for taking the time to submit a review. We truly do appreciate that as well as your business. We hope you will come see us again sometime soon and again thank you for everything.