“Great stay!”

SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights around the Christmas holidays. The room was very nice. Great set up and very clean. We enjoyed the free hot breakfast, manager's reception in the evenings with free appetizers, pool, hot tub, and fitness. Great location close to both Duke and UNC. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. This is my new go to hotel when I visit family in the triangle area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Hello jbdusf,

Thank you for the kind review as well as for your business. Both are greatly appreciated. We're truly glad you enjoyed your stay and are happy to hear you would choose us again next time you're in our area. Happy New Year to you!!

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill

Reviewed December 26, 2012

A+ in all areas. Stayed over Christmas to be near family. Staff was super nice and our room was beyond CLEAN! Nice pool, and lobby sitting area very inviting. Extra lighting in the room with very nice suite design. On our next family visit we plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Hello Timeline01,

Thank you for the very kind review and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope you and your family had a very, Merry Christmas and am glad to hear that you would stay with us again next time you're in our area. Thanks again!!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Chose this hotel as it was close to a meeting location, and because I have had great luck with Springhill Suites recently - and this one delivered as well! The hotel seems quite new, and the layout is very convenient for business. I so appreciate a well thought out work area - convenient lighting, easy to get to and abundant outlets, comfortable chair, and not right in front of the ac unit. The front desk attendant, Theresa, was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We were delighted to learn of the managers reception upon arrival, it was very welcoming after a long day of travel and meetings.
The room layout is similar to other Springhill's I've stayed at, and the 24 hour exercise facility is convenient and sufficient.
This was my first time in Durham, so I don't have anything to compare to. However, i would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this hotel for business travel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Hello wisgirl01,

Thank you for the kind review and for staying with us. Both are greatly appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciated your kind comments regarding Theresa as well as the SpringHill Suites brand. We look forward to having you stay with us again. Happy holidays!!

Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

This was our second stay at this hotel, and both for the same reason: to see a Duke football game and then watch football on TV at the hotel. The seating area in the suite is perfect for a family to gather around the TV with snacks.

The front desk personnel were even kind enough to store our half gallon of ice cream in their freezer until we were ready to eat it. Fridge and microwave in the room as well as sectional seating made it perfect.

I'm not sure why the hot water was at issue. Saturday evening one if our daughters warned us that the water wasn't hot. Two of us concurred in Sunday morning; then suddenly the water began to get hit while our son was showering. We let the front desk know on our way out.

All in all, this was the perfect hotel for our needs.

• Stayed: November 2012
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Hello LyndaWV,

Thank you for the kind review and I apologize for the problem you encountered with the hot water. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with that one exception and hope you will come back and see us again. Thank You and Happy Holidays.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here for about 10 nights while in town for work. First time at a SpringHill Suites and found it to be very nice. The things that I thought were nice included: outdoor gas fire pit with seating, manager's reception on Tuesday and Wednesday nights (with decent food too!), workout room with multiple eliptical machines, divided work and sleep areas in room, decent toiletries, friendly staff and nice location. I did have a temperature issue with my room during one week and when it was not resolved management took steps to make sure that show that they were sorry and appreciated my business. I read others have had issues, but I never had any issues with security, safety or staff. When I'm in town again on business I'll be staying here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello GuyfromILMNC,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review. Both are truly appreciated. I'm glad to hear that you would stay with us again and we look forward to having you back. Happy Holidays!!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I read the recent reviews on the security concerns, but fortunately I have not experienced any issues in the several stays I have had with them. In fact, I find that the hotel is a nice alternative to the normal chains I stay in while traveling on business in the area.

The Springhill Suites is a Marriott chain property that tries to provide a bit more of a livable space while traveling. I normally stay in the King suite, which has a good space that includes a living area (couch/chair), a work desk (a bit small area, but workable), and a king sized bed. There is one TV that swivels between the living and bed areas. The TV is a 42" LG with a good selection of channels. I do wish they would provide a channel guide that is easily accessible, but you have to go on a search-and-destroy mission to find it (hint: it's in the welcome binder on the wall near the desk). They use the local cable network, so they have the majority of the channels you might have access to at home.

The bed is comfortable for me, but some might think it's a bit firm. I like that. The pillow selection is good. I like that they have six pillows and some are feather-like, others are firmer. No foam, but not too bad. At least they give you some options!

The closet space is a bit light, but they have six hangars for you. There is a nice luggage "bench" near the window. Finally, there is a thermostat controlled HVAC system.

The odd thing is that there is two wash areas. One is a toilet and small sink combo. The other is a larger sink area with a walk-in shower. I like it, but it is odd. If you're traveling as a couple, or with children, you will find this convenient. The selection of soap/shampoo is decent quality.

Overall, I think the hotel is pretty quiet. I have not had any problems with noise from other rooms. I do however, travel with my iPhone which has a white noise app, that helps to drown out moderate noise. I have issues when staying in a new place for the first night or two, and that app helps me a lot.

The hotel parking is not the best, as there are only a few spots in front, but the rest of the parking is not too far away. As the hotel is near the main road - 15/501 - I can understand if security could be an issue. Criminals could jump in the parking lot, grab and run pretty easily. Lighting is OK, but could be better.

The lobby area is decent. It's not as sharp as a Courtyard (the nice remodeled ones), but they do have a little shop area (expensive for what you get) where you can buy water, pop, and various snack-type foods. They also have a bar area that stays open to 10:00pm. I've not seen it busy ever, but at least there is an easy way to have a couple of drinks with colleagues where you don't have to drive when you're done...

...but you are pretty close to a couple of decent restaurants nearby. There is a Five Guys, a Moe's Southwest Cooking restaurant, an Applebee's, and a bit further, a Kanki's - which is an upscale Japanese Steakhouse. Only Kanki's do you need to worry about crossing a main road.

I compare this hotel to three others that are nearby. There is a Sheraton that I have used a lot before trying the Springhill, which is about a mile away on 15/501 nearer to Chapel Hill; a Courtyard off of Rt. 54; and an Aloft, which is near to the Courtyard. Overall, I would say the Courtyard is slightly nicer, but only because of the lobby area (bar/coffee/snacks), and is more expensive. It also is not near to anything within walking distance. The Aloft is a bit more trendy, has a lively bar area, and is convenient to a shopping/restaurant area, but it is noisy and the rooms are smaller. The Sheraton is a more traditional hotel, but doesn't have much nearby in walking distance, but they do have a restaurant (Shula's) on the property.

Overall, I would say this is my favorite place to stay when I am in the Chapel Hill/Durham area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Hello ioj27,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate all your feedback. I especially appreciated your comparison with other local properties. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The stay at this hotel was interesting. Firstly, I was shut out from making reservations on-line. Upon calling the reservationist at the hotel, I was informed the my room rate would be 50% higher on "Black Friday". No problem - when mentioned to the on-site manager at check-in, the rate was changed back to normal. Other than that, the Thanksgiving Holiday stay was enjoyable. The suite was clean, well-appointed and comfortable. The complimentary full breakfasts were an additional asset.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Hello chuck_barb,

Thank you for the review and kind words regarding the hotel and your stay. I can not make sense after the fact what occurred during the reservation process. We did not raise our rates due to Black Friday and you should have been able to book on-line. The only explanation I can offer is that we do have higher rates on Football weekends and last week was a UNC home football game. However, once it became known that demand was not as high last week as it was for some football weekends our rates were lowered. That may explain your being able to get a more normal rate once you arrived.

Anyway, we again thank you for staying with us and hope you will come see us again. I'm truly sorry for the confusion you encountered.