“Great Stay”

Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Outer Banks, NC
“Great Stay”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We totally enjoyed our stay... from the gourmet lollipops for the kids at check-in to the hot breakfast in the a.m. Rooms are wonderfully furnished with partitioned sitting area and we really liked the space-saving feature of the bath & shower doors. Great value, close to good restaurants, shopping, and not a far drive from Duke.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is a great new hotel. I love the modern clean lines of the hotel. I work a lot in my room and the workspace is fabulous. There is a big desk and a big flat screen TV that can be turned either to the workspace or the bed. The shower is in a separate room for the toilet, which is in a little room by itself with a small corner sink. The colors are very soothing and there are little awesome touches everywhere in the room from the pinpoint reading lights on the bed to the awesome shades on the windows. The internet connection is so AWESOME. There are great stores in the parking lot of the hotel, including a Kohl's and a Panera Bread. There is a Barnes & Noble and Starbucks across the street, as well as a great mall less than 10 miles away. The breakfast is AWESOME and the last time I was there they had a manager's reception every evening during the week featuring different specialities like chair mssage, music, etc. The hotel is very peaceful and very customer oriented from the Chupps lollipops at the check in desk, to the great coffee available 24/7. I am a Marriott gold member and I wish I could duplicate this hotel throughout the country. Other hotels should be green with envy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed here while recently visiting colleges in the Durham-Chapel Hill area. Would definitely stay here again! Hotel feels brand new. Extremely clean with modern contemporary furnishings. Friendly, attentive staff. Well-stocked complimentary breakfast (cereal, bagels, pastries, yogurt, waffles, eggs, fruit, and more), plus a hospitality hour with hot/cold finger foods, soft drinks, beer, and more. Dining area could be larger, although there's an outside patio which helps when the breakfast crowd is large and the weather is nice. Plenty of free parking. Many retail stores (Walmart, Kohls, others) and restaurants within walking distance or a short drive. Easy access from/to I-40. Small fitness facility with ellipticals and recumbent bikes. One drawback: bathroom doors have frosted glass which causes a lot of light to spill into your room during the middle of the night!

Room Tip: If you qualify, ask about government rates--much cheaper than best available or rack rates
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My family stayed at SpringHIll Suites the end of July while in town to retrieve our daughter from her summer stay at Duke University. Our stay was perfect. I wish I had known how convenient this hotel was to Duke as we stayed at another Marriott property billed as convenient to Duke and we had a less than desirable experience there. The hotel was simply lovely from the attentive staff to the modern decor. While we were there construction was being done to the breakfast area to expand the area and I was told by staff that it was also to allow them to serve light bar food in the evenings for their guests. Being as this was only our second time in Durham we asked for restaurant recommendations and were not disappointed. The staff referred us to several local restaurants as we did not want a chain eatery. Their recommendations were excellent and we even ran into a one of the staff members picking up take out one evening. The hotel was quiet and relaxing, our room was spacious and clean. The advantage of the refrigerator and microwave in room wonderful for a family. I wish we had cause to be in Durham again soon but until our daughter returns to Duke next summer we will have to wait. We will most assuredly be staying here !

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
StvKoehler
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We liked this hotel a lot. Aside from rather hard beds, it was great. I liked the modern decor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This hotel has the feel of a very nice European hotel; the room was very modern, with the shower and toilet separate. (Very nice touch). The room is quite spacious with living and sleeping space separate with a glass divider. The staff was very attentive and friendly and in my view it was a great location. Ten minute drive to Chapel Hill and about the same to downtown Durham. I will certainly stay there again on my next visit to the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed August 20, 2011

As a loyal Marriott customer I was extremely impressed with this hotel. The hotel was clean, crisp and our room was beautifully arranged. The staff was very friendly. I was there with my family to visit college campuses. I will gladly return to this one. Not only was the experience great but the room was so affordable. I recommend this hotel for families and business travelers. Now when I travel for business I always look for the SpringHIll Suites brand.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family