“Mixed experience”
Review of Dos Perros

Dos Perros
Reserve with OpenTable
Dos Perros is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Parrish
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Reservations are an absolute must here. We waited ~10 minutes past our reservation time of 6:30. There were a shocking number of menu items that were either unavailable or had different sides or sauces.

For appetizers we had guacamole (very good) and the empanada plate (okay). The sauce on the empanadas was once of the above mentioned changes so it might have been better with the sauce that was intended to go with it.

The passion fruit capaipirinha was very good. My husband like the mango-cayenne margarita and said it was not spicy (this coming from someone who eats habaneros).

For our entrees we had the Trucha Rellena – crab salpicon-stuffed trout with guajillo-citrus salsa and lima-green bean puree and the sauteed white gulf shrimp with guajillo-garlic sauce, corn, Mexican squash, and arroz verde. Both were very good but I was not swooning over them.

Service was good and our food came out in a timely manner. Noise was not bothersome despite relatively close tables and some large groups.

My review was impacted by how expensive the restaurant is--I might have been more generous had it at a lower price point.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Fairly good food. Nothing outstanding. We have dined here 7 or 8 times and twice,reservations were not honored. We had a large group with reservations 6 weeks in advance that was confirmed. Restaurant overbooked and filled our tables. I waited one hour and gave up and went home. The rest of our friends just waited-Sat. night,what else could they do.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Recommended:

Potato-masa sopes with braised beef, queso fresco, and crema.
Grilled shrimp, cucumber, mango salad in a citrus vinaigrette.
Lamb enchiladas w/ tomato-red pepper salsa, shredded cabbage, guacamole, queso fresco.

Nice sangrita to chase my mezcal.

About $35 per person, dessert and gratuity not included.

1  Thank HomoQuiScitOmnia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

On Monday's, this place suspends the usual menu for tacos, some of which are apparently specials. My wife and I tried most of the offerings between the two of us, and while everything was good, we probably would only order half the options again. My only complaint was that the fish and shrimp tacos were relatively under-stuffed compared to the others, and they had, we thought, the best flavor. The 5 dollar margaritas did take the edge off, though. We'll be back on another night when the full menu is available.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I love the bar and their modern take on Mexican food. The guacamole is wonderful and it's easy to eat nothing but chips and guac, but for lunch I recommend saving room for 2-3 tacos so you can experience their great cooking! The shrimp is my favorite.

Been to Dos Perros? Share your experiences!