“Average - Not Worth the Money”
Review of Dos Perros

Dos Perros
Reserve with OpenTable
Dos Perros is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Parrish
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Average - Not Worth the Money”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I went to Dos Perros with my boyfriend to celebrate my birthday. The food was good, but it wasn't the best Mexican food I've had in the Raleigh-Durham area, especially considering the price. Here are some details:
- Salsa (complimentary) - very good!
- Guacamole - I don't think this was prepared fresh. It was very smooth, as if it was blended. It was not chunky. No tomatoes, and no spice at all.
- Yucatan style poulet rouge chicken - It was good. A very large portion.
- Black bean refritos - good, but nothing memorable.
- Fried plantains - okay.

My boyfriend ordered shrimp. He said it was good, but didn't seem to be impressed.

I would go to Mez or Jibarra before going to Dos Perros.

• Visited April 2012

Fairfield, Connecticut
“The most upscale and outstanding Mexican in the Triangle”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

There are lots of wanna-be's in the Triangle competing for this title. They charge a lot, they have "fancy" margaritas, they have unusual menu items - but they all fail. Nope, the title of "Top Drawer Mexican in the Triangle" goes to Dos Perros in Durham!

The menu is spectacular and the food lives up to its promises. The margaritas are kick-your-shoes-off awesome. The service is impeccable. The decor both in the bar and the dining room is warm, very Mex, with a touch of edge for hipsters to enjoy. This place is on par with some of the better Mexican restaurants in the country. Can't wait to go back for more...

Kreskin2207
“Good Upscale Mexican in Downtown Durham”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Luckily my wife and I prefer to eat at the restaurant bar instead of dining room, especially after an afternoon of sampling downtown Durham's finest adult beverages. We walked in around six and heard the hostess tell the group in front of us they were booked solid until 8:30. Impressive. When we walked into the bar the entire bar was a mess, apparently they had just finished a Taste of the Triangle event. So regardless of how the food is they are definitely racking in the business!
I thought all this to be a good sign...

We were one of the only people at the bar, but there were a couple bar table options if the high bar isn't your thing. The service was great, very friendly and attentive enough though they were obviously busy. We started with the special pork & coconut empanadas which were good. The coconut was very faint, which was fine, I just wish there was more of the onion coulis to give the dish an extra kick. We also had the shrimp cocktail which was amazing, super fresh and light with lime juice, avocado, and jicama-cucumber slaw. I hate, loath, despise the martini glass presentation, but I can see past that for the taste. The guacamole was also very good, a little more on the oniony side than I prefer, and not quite as much lime as I like, but gaucamole is terribly hard (note: impossible) to perfect for everyone as this was quite good.

For an entree we split the ribs special which were very good and packed with flavor. I wish the temperature consistency would have been a bit better as some ribs were super tender and some were a bit dry/tough. All in all though they were really tasty.

I also thought the prices were pretty good for a nicer, "upscale" dinner; with tip we paid about $60 for two drinks, three appetizers, and an entree.

Durham, North Carolina
“Delicious!”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

A bit pricy, but great food! I particularly love the chile rellenos

Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“Not you Typical Mexican fare”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Downtown Durham is getting revitalized and has been rebuilt in the recent years. There are quit a few unique restaurants to visit; I would make this a regular stop if you are staying in downtown. This place may be a little difficult to find but, Dos Perros das the only big indicator of the restaurant is their logo on the side of the building. There is nothing in front that you can see or read as you drive by. Once you locate this wonderful upscale Mexican restaurant, finding a parking space directly across.
The atmosphere is lively and the staff is friendly. They get busy during lunch and dinner. You can show up for dinner without a reservation but, prepare to have a small wait. I would recommend calling ahead just in case. If you are expecting a southwest tex-mex or the ordinary Mexican you can be in for a surprise.
The menu has a flare of its own and runs special each night like taco Monday and Margaritas and good enchiladas on another night. All in all, a variety of interesting dishes that you can come in each night and make something different. Steak was outstanding, and lamb was very good. The chips and green tomatillo salsa were surprisingly different from typical Mexican Restaurants.
My experience at Dos Perros was over several months from July 2011 to March 2012. The service was wonderful, attentive and pleasant. Go check it out for yourself. The prices are worth it too.