“A hotel for those who want to get to the Raleigh-Durham Airport fast”

Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Singapore, Singapore
“A hotel for those who want to get to the Raleigh-Durham Airport fast”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is clean but quite far from downtown. However, it provide a hotel shuttle to take guest to South Point Mall. They also fetch guest from airport. It is suitable for those who wants to get to the airport for an early flight fast.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank ALP2012_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed at the Indigo at RTP for several days on business. I wish I could give the hotel a better review because I really like the green and modern concept but...

Every morning of our stay, the restaurant had run out of coffee and did not brew more. What hotel doesn't have coffee basically around the clock but ESPECIALLY in the morning before 8 am? Really?

The air conditioning/heating units sound like they must have been purchased used and installed incorrectly. They are so loud that you cannot run the unit and watch the television at the same time. (Well, you could if you can read lips.)

The walls have been banged up and redecorated with marks from cleaning, table edges, and time. Touch-up painting would go a long way toward sprucing up the rooms.

Damage to the walls has not been repaired. Replacement plaster should blend and not appear as hardened globs on the walls.

The shower head in the room leaked and leaked and leaked and leaked.

On the bright side, the gentleman manning the front desk at night was friendly, upbeat, positive, and the kind of person you would want to represent your business. His enthusiasm went a long way toward upgrading this review from terrible to just poor.

I usually don't write reviews but someone needs to take a look at the restaurant and maintenance issues otherwise this hotel will not survive in such competitive times.

2 Thank Sittingonastar
Samantha M, Director of Sales at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very sorry that we fell short in pleasing you during your stay. All your comments have been delegated to the mangers of the departments mentioned so that they may be addressed with their teams. We strive hard to make each guest stay one they enjoyed and remember in a positive way so that they may look forward to returning. I am very happy to hear your remarks on the front desk and I will pass that along to them. I do hope you will return in the future so that we may have the opportunity to show you what the Hotel Indigo has to offer.

Again thank you for your time and your feedback.
Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife, dog and I stayed for six (6) nights at the Hotel Indigo recently, and we had a wonderful experience. The front desk staff were all incredible and willing to help us in any way possible. The hotel room was large and very clean, and the cocktails at the bar were excellent and reasonable priced.

I would highly recommend this hotel for business and leisure travelers as well as families. My wife and I will be back to stay again in the very near future. This Hotel Indigo is one of the best in the country!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simmrouter
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was very happy with the hotel itself. It seemed brand new and spotlessly clean. The rooms were very spacious and super comfortable. Service was helpful. It's great if you're in the area for business, as there are countless corporate type offices nearby, but don't stay here if you're looking for something to do after hours. There's nothing around. I got tired of eating in the hotel restaurant, so I walked next door to the Hilton I could see from my window to try their restaurant and bar...not exactly happening either...but for RTP business, this is a solid choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JAXcare
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our family of 5 really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Indigo! The decor is beautiful, bright, and fun! The room was very roomy and extremely comfortable. The bathroom is very spacious... Plenty of room for our 3 teenage daughters! We had great customer service as well; the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. One of my daughters forgot her Ipod, we thought we were just out of luck on that; housekeeping found it and they mailed it to us! We will definitely stay here again! Beautiful hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mtnfamily2013
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The quick points:

Do NOT count on the airport shuttle if you are on a schedule.

Do NOT order the pre-paid breakfast.

Do NOT pay for the suite with a balcony unless you are a smoker.

Do NOT plan on using a suite for business meetings.

Do NOT be fooled by the indoor pool.

Do request on the highest floor possible.

Do stay at the end of the hallway.

The details:

This hotel fails to deliver on its promises both from its website and in person. It appears to attempt to appeal to business and leisure travel and does neither well. While the Hotel Indigo might be geographically suited for visitors to the RTP area its suites were not conducive to conducting business.

Upon arriving at RDU I called and requested to be picked up. I was told the shuttle would arrive in five to ten minutes. The shuttle did not arrive until thirty minutes later. The driver gave the excuse that there was rush hour traffic. One would suspect that person answering the phone should have known this and advised accordingly.

After checking-in I asked about the breakfast for which I pre-paid, there was some confusion as to if I was entitled to it, despite my confirmation indicating I was. I was given four coupons. I noticed they indicated for one person only. So, I asked if I was incorrect about breakfast being for two as noted on the website. I was told I was the only one registered in the room despite my confirmation email at the time of booking showing my associate listed as a second guest. The front desk person told me it didn’t really matter to him about me having two sets of coupons, as if I was trying to steal some extra breakfasts, and he prepared four more coupons. Had I known what they call breakfast I might have actually tried to steal more. It sure would not meet the definition of breakfast of anyone I know, it is a snack. It is one coffee, one muffin, and one piece of fruit, and it is served from looks to be a deli counter. Momma may have told you breakfast is the most important meal of the day but the Hotel Indigo must think Momma is a liar.

The Bistro is small and cramped. The photos on the site are deceiving as to its true size. It most certainly is not set up to have any but the most informal and casual of business meals. The service was less than spectacular. With three employees behind the bar, all talking with a small group of customers that appeared to have been camped out for an extended stay, it was a five minute wait to get a drink and place a dinner order and the ice in my glass had nearly melted when someone finally asked if I would like a refill.

The second visit on another day was after 9:00 pm and only one person seemed to be working the bar although there was a second person walking back and forth behind it and doing small tasks not related to serving customers. There were approximately six guests at the bar, and the bartender disappears for a very notable period of time. It is later explained that the bartender also delivers room service and if there is just one bartender then the people at the bar just have to wait. This could have been okay had our orders been taken before leaving.

The suite was very spacious and inviting. The living room, bedroom and bathroom are all very large and very livable. The furniture is ample, sturdy and shows of quality. The bed was very comfortable and I am told the sofa bed was also very comfortable. There are bright colors and large windows. It is a great room for the business traveler that is not planning to spend much time in the suite for business.

Despite all the space there was no work table. There is a desk but any discussions and in-room meals were negotiated around a low coffee table. The balcony is nothing more than an architectural appendix, small and useless. It fit one rickety wicker chair that had a mildew covered cushion and small table. You might be able to get two people on it if one sat and one stood. The only use for the balcony seems to be to circumvent the rules against smoking in hotel itself, if you are on an upper floor and a lower floor is doing that count on smelling the smoke.

Other than a small area rug the rooms are uncarpeted. It provides a degree of visual appeal but without the sound dampening of carpet count on hearing people walking around above you. And if you are lucky enough to be in the bathroom at the same time as the guest above you . . . let’s just say the tile is no more sound proof than the hardwood floors.

The shower was large and has a pretty nice rainfall showerhead. The only issue was it took over four minutes to get the water to come to temperature. After the first day the first thing to do was start the shower and attend to all the other morning tasks and then come back and usually the water was then suitable for showering.

While not something I believe to be routine at the hotel one day we were allowed to enjoy the continual whine of a running motor from a power-washer used to clean the exterior of the building. They must not have made it to my floor as they missed the mildewed seat cushion on my balcony. Another day the hotel suite was without power, or telephones, or Wi-Fi for an extended period of time. When I tried to use my cell phone to call the front desk, those phones were not operational either.

The website indicates that a robe comes with the suite. There was no robe. The site states that a newspaper is delivered to the room every business day. It was, half the time. Neither the robe nor the newspaper would make or break a stay. It is just very symptomatic of poor communication via the website or poor systems within the hotel or poor training and staff or a combination of all. In any case, if they cannot even get the inconsequential routine tasks taken care of it is no surprise that the blow the big things.

Thoughts of unwinding by the pool were dashed but we did get a good laugh. The pool was so small they could have called it the Bistro pool. It is shallow and short and I think if you tried to do laps you would get dizzy doing somersaults after every three or four strokes. It is quite possible that the spa next to the pool was smaller than the tub in the suite. It is unclear as to what one would use the pool for but it did not appear large enough to do laps and there was not much deck around it that would have made it a place to relax.

On the final night before a very early flight out of RDU a party started up on the floor below about midnight. It was loud and noisy and made seemingly worse by the lack of carpeting. A call to the front desk yielded no satisfactory results and the party finally ended at 2:30 am. My wake-up call was on-time at 5:00 am.

I arrived in the lobby just after 5:30 am and was told the shuttle would be back to leave at its 5:40 am scheduled time. The shuttle was back at 5:35 am and my bag was loaded and I was ready to go. The person behind the front desk told the driver to wait as a guest had called saying they were on their way down. And the driver waited until 5:45 am and still no one showed. The person behind the front desk finally decided that at 5:47 am it was okay for the shuttle to go. After getting out of the parking lot and getting on the lane in front of the hotel the front desk person comes running out waving her hands for the driver to return. The driver loads up the other passengers and we leave at 5:52 am. Twelve minutes may not be a huge deal but the shuttle is scheduled every twenty minutes. It is likely the shuttle would have been on its way back from RDU by the time the other guests finally arrived in the lobby. That the front desk person arbitrarily decided that my time could be wasted for others that could not be on time without even asking if I minded waiting basically sealed my opinion about this hotel and the people that supposedly manage it.

Room Tip: Do NOT count on the airport shuttle if you are on a schedule. Do NOT order the pre-paid breakfast...