“Solid Choice for RTP”

Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was very happy with the hotel itself. It seemed brand new and spotlessly clean. The rooms were very spacious and super comfortable. Service was helpful. It's great if you're in the area for business, as there are countless corporate type offices nearby, but don't stay here if you're looking for something to do after hours. There's nothing around. I got tired of eating in the hotel restaurant, so I walked next door to the Hilton I could see from my window to try their restaurant and bar...not exactly happening either...but for RTP business, this is a solid choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JAXcare

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our family of 5 really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Indigo! The decor is beautiful, bright, and fun! The room was very roomy and extremely comfortable. The bathroom is very spacious... Plenty of room for our 3 teenage daughters! We had great customer service as well; the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. One of my daughters forgot her Ipod, we thought we were just out of luck on that; housekeeping found it and they mailed it to us! We will definitely stay here again! Beautiful hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mtnfamily2013
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The quick points:

Do NOT count on the airport shuttle if you are on a schedule.

Do NOT order the pre-paid breakfast.

Do NOT pay for the suite with a balcony unless you are a smoker.

Do NOT plan on using a suite for business meetings.

Do NOT be fooled by the indoor pool.

Do request on the highest floor possible.

Do stay at the end of the hallway.

The details:

This hotel fails to deliver on its promises both from its website and in person. It appears to attempt to appeal to business and leisure travel and does neither well. While the Hotel Indigo might be geographically suited for visitors to the RTP area its suites were not conducive to conducting business.

Upon arriving at RDU I called and requested to be picked up. I was told the shuttle would arrive in five to ten minutes. The shuttle did not arrive until thirty minutes later. The driver gave the excuse that there was rush hour traffic. One would suspect that person answering the phone should have known this and advised accordingly.

After checking-in I asked about the breakfast for which I pre-paid, there was some confusion as to if I was entitled to it, despite my confirmation indicating I was. I was given four coupons. I noticed they indicated for one person only. So, I asked if I was incorrect about breakfast being for two as noted on the website. I was told I was the only one registered in the room despite my confirmation email at the time of booking showing my associate listed as a second guest. The front desk person told me it didn’t really matter to him about me having two sets of coupons, as if I was trying to steal some extra breakfasts, and he prepared four more coupons. Had I known what they call breakfast I might have actually tried to steal more. It sure would not meet the definition of breakfast of anyone I know, it is a snack. It is one coffee, one muffin, and one piece of fruit, and it is served from looks to be a deli counter. Momma may have told you breakfast is the most important meal of the day but the Hotel Indigo must think Momma is a liar.

The Bistro is small and cramped. The photos on the site are deceiving as to its true size. It most certainly is not set up to have any but the most informal and casual of business meals. The service was less than spectacular. With three employees behind the bar, all talking with a small group of customers that appeared to have been camped out for an extended stay, it was a five minute wait to get a drink and place a dinner order and the ice in my glass had nearly melted when someone finally asked if I would like a refill.

The second visit on another day was after 9:00 pm and only one person seemed to be working the bar although there was a second person walking back and forth behind it and doing small tasks not related to serving customers. There were approximately six guests at the bar, and the bartender disappears for a very notable period of time. It is later explained that the bartender also delivers room service and if there is just one bartender then the people at the bar just have to wait. This could have been okay had our orders been taken before leaving.

The suite was very spacious and inviting. The living room, bedroom and bathroom are all very large and very livable. The furniture is ample, sturdy and shows of quality. The bed was very comfortable and I am told the sofa bed was also very comfortable. There are bright colors and large windows. It is a great room for the business traveler that is not planning to spend much time in the suite for business.

Despite all the space there was no work table. There is a desk but any discussions and in-room meals were negotiated around a low coffee table. The balcony is nothing more than an architectural appendix, small and useless. It fit one rickety wicker chair that had a mildew covered cushion and small table. You might be able to get two people on it if one sat and one stood. The only use for the balcony seems to be to circumvent the rules against smoking in hotel itself, if you are on an upper floor and a lower floor is doing that count on smelling the smoke.

Other than a small area rug the rooms are uncarpeted. It provides a degree of visual appeal but without the sound dampening of carpet count on hearing people walking around above you. And if you are lucky enough to be in the bathroom at the same time as the guest above you . . . let’s just say the tile is no more sound proof than the hardwood floors.

The shower was large and has a pretty nice rainfall showerhead. The only issue was it took over four minutes to get the water to come to temperature. After the first day the first thing to do was start the shower and attend to all the other morning tasks and then come back and usually the water was then suitable for showering.

While not something I believe to be routine at the hotel one day we were allowed to enjoy the continual whine of a running motor from a power-washer used to clean the exterior of the building. They must not have made it to my floor as they missed the mildewed seat cushion on my balcony. Another day the hotel suite was without power, or telephones, or Wi-Fi for an extended period of time. When I tried to use my cell phone to call the front desk, those phones were not operational either.

The website indicates that a robe comes with the suite. There was no robe. The site states that a newspaper is delivered to the room every business day. It was, half the time. Neither the robe nor the newspaper would make or break a stay. It is just very symptomatic of poor communication via the website or poor systems within the hotel or poor training and staff or a combination of all. In any case, if they cannot even get the inconsequential routine tasks taken care of it is no surprise that the blow the big things.

Thoughts of unwinding by the pool were dashed but we did get a good laugh. The pool was so small they could have called it the Bistro pool. It is shallow and short and I think if you tried to do laps you would get dizzy doing somersaults after every three or four strokes. It is quite possible that the spa next to the pool was smaller than the tub in the suite. It is unclear as to what one would use the pool for but it did not appear large enough to do laps and there was not much deck around it that would have made it a place to relax.

On the final night before a very early flight out of RDU a party started up on the floor below about midnight. It was loud and noisy and made seemingly worse by the lack of carpeting. A call to the front desk yielded no satisfactory results and the party finally ended at 2:30 am. My wake-up call was on-time at 5:00 am.

I arrived in the lobby just after 5:30 am and was told the shuttle would be back to leave at its 5:40 am scheduled time. The shuttle was back at 5:35 am and my bag was loaded and I was ready to go. The person behind the front desk told the driver to wait as a guest had called saying they were on their way down. And the driver waited until 5:45 am and still no one showed. The person behind the front desk finally decided that at 5:47 am it was okay for the shuttle to go. After getting out of the parking lot and getting on the lane in front of the hotel the front desk person comes running out waving her hands for the driver to return. The driver loads up the other passengers and we leave at 5:52 am. Twelve minutes may not be a huge deal but the shuttle is scheduled every twenty minutes. It is likely the shuttle would have been on its way back from RDU by the time the other guests finally arrived in the lobby. That the front desk person arbitrarily decided that my time could be wasted for others that could not be on time without even asking if I minded waiting basically sealed my opinion about this hotel and the people that supposedly manage it.

Room Tip: Do NOT count on the airport shuttle if you are on a schedule. Do NOT order the pre-paid breakfast...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave O
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Dave O,

Regards,

Karen C

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel decor met my expectations from the descriptions of the concept behind the Indigo brand - reminding me more of a spa/resort than an airport hotel, with the bold colors, no carpets, and natural based design elements. The room was comfortable, with a nice working area and large tv viewable from the desk or bed, and was generally clean so I have no complaints. FYI - there is no fridge in the room, and the continental breakfast is light (i.e., juice/coffee, danish, and muffin) but also reasonably priced. Plenty of parking out front too. I will return assuming that the room rate is similar - I would consider what I received exceeding the price I paid for this trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I'll start by saying that I'm a loyal Intercontinental Hotel group patron so my experience with Holiday Inn hotels is pretty extensive. I can honestly say that I've never had such a negative experience with this hotel group as I had the night I stayed here. From the painfully slow check in to the inflexible and sometimes rude staff, service was atrocious.

I've heard the motto "the customer is always right;" that is something that you cannot expect at this hotel, even if the information the customer has is from the hotel. The brochures given to me at check in listed the wrong times for breakfast. When I came during the printed time,
I was offered a cold, curt apology and told to find another option.

Now the good: the building is gorgeous, with a great design and very comfortable accommodations. The hotel design and layout are the best I've seen in the local area.

So in summary, I think I'd have a hard time going back to the hotel just because of how poor the service was.

• Stayed: November 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear DanPauEli,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate the positive comments and are glad you were pleased with our accommodations. We sincerely apologize for the incident you described. It is not a common occurrence at our hotel. We will be addressing the matter with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. We hope to have you in the future as our guest if you are willing to reconsider.

Myrna M

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel is overpriced for quality by about $100. You can get a room in NYC for the same price. While pleasant and clean, it is not what I would call a deluxe hotel. We did not have hot water one morning and the shower water pressure was always poor. Location is great and was the primary reason we stayed here. The valets, especially Joel, were also great.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Maurine M,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us a review. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on and sincerely regret that your stay was not up to your standards. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Once again, thank you for your time and staying with us.

Connie D

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Decided to stay here on a Friday night before a flight. Wrong idea. Sure the place is trendy, modern, European but who chose the air conditioning units? Frig - not even ear plugs were enough to block out the noise. And I don't mean hum rattle hum, more like standing next to a jet engine during take-off. Wow. Just be prepared.

As for the rooms, looking a bit beat up. Many marks on the walls from being bumped by cleaning carts, suit cases, etc. Some of the furniture is also looking tired. Worst of all was the toe nails sticking out of the scatter mats. Ouch! nothing like getting stabbed in the foot with an evil toe nail. Guys - the scatter mats are nice to look at but they gotta get cleaned!!!

On a positive note, the bathrooms are fantastic. Love the walk in shower.

Room Tip: Bring hearing protection and slippers to avoid the toe nails.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Vancouver_CanadaRick,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the loud amenities and condition of the room accommodations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N