“Beautiful Oasis in Durham”

The King's Daughters Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Midlothian, Virginia
“Beautiful Oasis in Durham”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

While traveling to Duke University with friends for a medical consult, we found this wonderful place to stay while we were there. It was amazing! The website, pictures and descriptions didn't hold a candle to the comfort, beauty and hospitality they offered at this wonderful Bed and Breakfast.
We didnt' get to meet Colin because he was away on family business, but Deana greeted us with a smile, warmth and immediately settled us into our room. While showing us to our rooms she explained the schedule of tea and turndown, gave us a quick tour of the Inn, suggested places to go, directions to Duke and answered all of our questions with patience and pride.

There were four of us and we stayed in one of the suites. The bedroom was amazing w/ a king sized bed and gorgeous furnishings. The sitting room was very comfortable and we really enjoyed the Mac/ TV combo. We went out to explore Durham for a while and came back to our room to relax before dinner. Our beds were turned down, Port and chocolates were on the bedside tables and we called for a bottle of wine which was delivered by Deanna w/ a smile and a story.

We were so delighted with the decor and the story of how Deanna and Colin brought this wonderful turn-of-the-century jewel back to life with the charm and beauty of one of today's Southern B&B offerings. Durham is so lucky to have them! I will never stay in a hotel in Durham when I go there! I just wish I had been able to stay longer. Maybe next time!

Thank you Deanna for making our stay so wonderful! See you next time!

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Omg what an amazing place...its beautiful I love all the rooms, the breakfast its yummy I would love to go back...the ppl that works there is so nice from the owners to the housekeepers...they are so friendly, and everything is so clean they do a great job...congratulations for such a wonderful Inn =)

• Stayed February 2011
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My third stay at the King's Daughters Inn and I finally realized what a great nights sleep I get every time I stay. The air quality is wonderful! They have a state of the art HVAC system that creates great clean air! No middle of the night stuffy feeling! Thank you.

Besides the great nights sleep, the rooms are beautifully appointed (check out the website to find your favorite decor). The breakfast is always yummy and it is great to just relax in the beautiful parlor or sunroom.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2011

This inn was truly lovely! It felt like being a guest in someone's amazing home, but with more privacy than B&Bs. My room was such a comfortable space with nice furnishings, and I especially loved the amazing sheets and bed linens, which felt luxurious against my skin. Also, each night there was a small glass of sherry and a wrapped chocolate left for me on my night table! There was a wonderful and varied breakfast in a nice, light-filled breakfast room. Everyone who works at the inn, including the owners, were very responsive and helpful. If I ever return to Durham, I'd love to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We stayed at the KDI in January and it exceeded our expectations. I am not a B&B type at all, but wanted to try this as it's close to Duke. The rooms are some of the most beautiful I have seen anywhere, including 5-star hotels around the world. The beds are on my list of top-3 most comfortable hotel beds ever! You sink into the clean, white, triple-sheeted beds and never want to get up again. Every room is different and since the doors to empty rooms are kept open, you can peek around and see the variety. Every need is anticipated, whether it be toiletries, make-up mirror, good reading lights near the sitting areas, etc. The public areas are elegant and bright. I always find B&Bs to be a tad dark with slightly shabby, Victorian-era furniture and creepy lighting, but this place looks like the living rooms and sunrooms on the covers of upscale home magazines. The fabrics are crisp and clean and modern and the furniture is a nice blend of antiques and modern pieces.

Colin (innkeeper husband) is indeed a bit laconic but I really think he is just a quiet sort, not sour as some have mentioned. He could perk up a bit, though, especially when guests first arrive as some might feel he does not care that they are there. Deanna makes up for this with her pleasant personality. All in all, this is a great addition to the Durham hotel scene.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I was sad that our night activities kept us out so late because we had a GORGEOUS suite in which we didn't spend enough time! The room itself was large and had tons of character, with different colors on the walls and the furniture suited to the 1920s style. In such an old building, I was pleasantly surprised that KDI is so environmentally friendly-for instance, reusing the laundry water to flush the toilets. Their toiletries are locally made, too. While modern amenities like a gym are absent, these hip Durhamites aren't afraid to come back down to earth and remind guests that Duke East Campus is just across the street, with a multi-mile running/walking path.

KDI offers a great location, friendly and personal service, as well as historical accommodation with modern concern.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Youngsville, NC
Reviewed January 16, 2011

My Mom and I stayed here for Mother's Day this past summer and while visiting I read in a magazine that The Lion King Musical would be at DPAC in January 2011. I immediately scooted downstairs to talk to Deanna (owner) and she said since they are affiliated with the DPAC for visitor stays that they get tickets and I could go through her for best seats, picking dates, etc. She assisted with this along with choosing a room this time for 3 ladies for our overnight experience! We arrived early on Saturday as I had emailed to let her know not expecting to check in and they already had cleaned our suite first so we could bring our bags up and hang a little bit before the 2 p.m. matinee. She also had already arranged a taxi per my email which is a 1 mile ride from the Inn to DPAC at a cost of $10.00 to be dropped at the front entrance. What service! After the amazing show we taxied back to the hotel to have some wine and relax before heading to dinner at Brightleaf which is only a few blocks away with lots of varied restaurant choices. Breakfast on Sunday morning from 8 to 10 a.m. was wonderful with homemade granola (self serve, fruit, muffins, juices, coffee) and then they take your order for eggs, bacon or sausage, homefries, toast or english muffin in a gorgeous dining area! We love the Kings Daughter Inn and can't thank them enough for the service and quality they provide! We will be back for more celebrations in the future I'm sure!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends