“Wear sock when you stay here”

Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Cleveland, Ohio
“Wear sock when you stay here”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had a business trip to Dunham and this is the closest hotel. The first room I checked into had torn sheers (143) the second just had a cigarette burn in the sheers (145). In Tuesday morning I told the desk that the toilet ran every 20 minutes and the carpet was dirty. Wednesday evening I kicked off the shoes again and see the photo below. Would have been nice if someone had discussed the problem with me. Maybe I will try the Holiday Inn Express next trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Walt V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed this weekend for a wedding event at Treyburn Country club. Great option when attending event at Treyburn but in need of upgrades to rooms. I would encourage this property to invest in upgrades and then they would be the ideal location for events at Treyburn. Very convenient to expressway.

• Stayed July 2013
North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel at the last minute and stayed here for only one night. Not the greatest Courtyard stay, but it is certainly clean and comfortable. Convenient to Duke, NCSSM and Ninth Street. If we needed a hotel for this location, we would choose it again.

• Stayed April 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Typical courtyard marriott. The only difference was that they had a coffee shop rather than a normal breakfast area in the lobby. They gave you credit for free breakfast there but I had to pay additional each morning for a breakfast I would typically get for free at other courtyards. The room was average and the staff was nice. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This will be a very basic review since this was a very basic Courtyard.

We had to change rooms twice. Do not stay on the first floor as the ceilings are so thin we could hear every footstep. We happened to apparently have extremely active occupants over us, so we had to change rooms if sleep was our goal. The air conditioner did not work in the second room.

The rooms were the smallest we have seen for a Marriott - even a Courtyard. So, you can imagine the bathroom and vanity area. Marriott is certainly getting their dollar per square foot for this hotel.

The staff was accommodating and very polite. The rooms were clean. There was no free coffee in the lobby, but you could purchase a $4.00 Starbucks in the lobby. There is also a pleasant looking cafe in the lobby that must be open at some point, but was not open when we checked in during the evening or checked out the next morning at 11 AM.

There are the usual nice perks such as a pool andinternet service. The lobby has nice seating if you wish to sit and use your computer, a computer station and a small "convenience store". The hotel is very close to the highway for easy access and, of course, the Duke campus. Again, I guess our biggest surprises were the very thin ceilings and small rooms.

Happy travels!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed June 13, 2013

On arriving I was asked to supply a credit card, I thought this a bit unusual as our room had been prepaid by my daughter. However, I complied thinking perhaps I would be charged for any extra charges we might incur. In the morning a receipt was under the door, I noticed that wy credit card # was on the receipt (not my daughter's). I immediately went to the desk and presented the receipt to the lady at the desk and asked if the room had been charged to my credit card. She looked at the receipt, and asked if that was my credit card # , i said it was , she then said then thats what was charged. I told her there must have been a mistake because the room was to have been prepaid, she made no response just looked back at me with a condescending stare, after a few awkward moments I said never mind I will check with my daughter, and wenr back to our room. At no point in time did she ever offer any assisstance in resolving the situation. We then went to breakfast at your bistro. What a disaster, my wife ordered for both of us, while we were waiting for our food my wife mentioned that the order taker didn't know what she meant by eggs over medium(she apparently only knew eggs over hard).When our meal came both our eggs were hard, we got wheat toast instead of white, and the meat was cold. I intended to complain then but my wife said we needed to move on, which we did. When we arrived home my wife confirmed from our daughter that indeed the room was to have been prepaid, because she had spent considerable time on the phone when making the reservations.

Room Tip: Stay away from here.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alfred R
Somerville, MA
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I have decent enough sense of humor...Our stay at the Marriott Courtyard would be almost funny if it wasn't happening to us. Let's start with the toilet clogging and overflowing the night of arrival. We telephoned the desk. Nice man arrived with towels and a plunger and attempted to repair. After he left, it was only good for a couple flushes, then clogged again. Next morning, went down to the front desk in person and asked them to send a more experienced person with a snake. They said "oh yes, we have engineering here today". (My thought "you don't have engineering there EVERY day???". Anyway, we happily departed the room at 10:00 am, secure in the understanding that all will be taken care of. We return at 4:00 pm to find not only the toilet had not been repaired, but the room had not been ;made up either! Okaaay. Call the front desk again. "Maybe you left the do not disturb sign hanging?". Noooo, we never placed the do not disturb sign out at any time during our stay. Finally, they sent up "engineering" with a snake ("Apologies, we went to the wrong room") and got housekeeping there at 4:30 pm to make up our room. Be aware we were tipping housekeeping $4.00 a day (that's more than my usual, but my friend insisted.)
Day two was uneventful. They even left extra shampoo as requested.
Day three was the really really interesting day. Again we departed the room at 10:00 am (no do not disturb sign hung at any time), again we returned at 4:00 pm. Room not made up. At 4:00 pm??? Come on. After tipping $4.00 a day, you'd think they'd be able to find us. Again, we called the front desk. Eventually, room gets taken care of. About 9:30 pm that evening, toilet clogs and overflows (a lot). I call the front desk again. Ten minutes later, a loud knock at the door. Man there with a stack of towels and a plunger. He HANDS ME THE PLUNGER and the towels without a word, turns around and walks away. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So, that's my story. You decide.
Need to say one more thing... there were a lot of staff (most of the time) that were nice and seemed to be hardworking. I have to point to management ...really disorganized communications.

• Stayed June 2013