“Pleasant Experience for an Unexpected Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown

Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #32 of 72 Hotels in Durham
Little Mountain, South Carolina
“Pleasant Experience for an Unexpected Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here one night due to weather conditions in Durham this weekend. After a meeting at Duke hospital, we found the conditions had deteriorated rapidly while we were inside. We could not safely leave the city due to snow and ice, so we found the Courtyard located nearby. I made a quick call to see if they had any rooms available and was greeted with a friendly voice saying they had room for us. When we arrived, the gentlemen working the front desk were cheerful, friendly and very efficient. The lobby was so attractive due to a recent renovation with plenty of spaces to relax yet having an intimate, cozy atmosphere. The bistro had a nice variety of appetizing selections and the young lady working there was also very friendly and helpful. Our room was adequate, though it had a dated decor. I was told the rooms would be under renovation this year. Even so, the beds were comfortable and the room clean, which was basically all we needed for our short, unexpected stay. A pleasant experience overall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here 1 night while visiting daughter, spouse & newborn twins in Durham. Their house was crowded because the twin’s father was sick and quarantined (by wife) to the only guest room, thus I used my Marriott Rewards points to stay here. The Courtyard was near their home. It is a standard Courtyard –clean, with friendly & efficient check-in staff, a supportive bed, but with a small bathroom (very much like one of the Fairfield Inns I recently reviewed). As a Marriott rewards person I typically stay in one of their hotels that provide a lobby breakfast (Fairfield, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites). Courtyards do not – I do not understand that? It is somewhat annoying to have to pay - what I feel is an inflated price - to eat their lobby food!!! I must admit that their towels were thicker that Fairfield towels – but other than that, I saw little to no difference. I would only stay here again due to lack of space when I visit nearby family, otherwise I would not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is a fairly nice property that is reasonably well maintained. I have stayed there several times in the past. Overall, it's a very decent place with in a fairly good location. However, the rooms could benefit from some updating/upgrading. Also, one change for the worse is that they changed the buffet breakfast they used to offer for many years with an a la cart meal that is much less attractive. Most of the front desk people were nice and friendly, though one was exceptionally lethargic and had a bit of an attitude. All in all, a fairly good place to stay, though some improvements are called for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've been staying in this hotel for several years. It's convenient to everything and everyone I need to see. Durham is my hometown and I go frequently. The staff is unfailingly polite and accommodating. Recent trip on December 13th was as pleasant as expected. The room was excellent and I especially enjoyed the yellow rubber duck for my bath. The new amenities were a huge plus. I have stayed at the one downtown several times, but I prefer this one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Compared to other Courtyards that I have stayed at this place was ok. The room was not very big, and not well lit. The internet was horribly slow. The bed was very comfortable as with all Marriott properties I have stayed at, and the room was clean. The ice machine on our floor was out of commission our entire 3 day stay. No free breakfast. I will say that the lobby was very nice, and the staff was A+. TJ at the front desk gave us great restaurant recommendations both nights we were there. The hotel is centrally located and not very far from Duke, which is why I was there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Staff was nice and really liked the location. The bar downstairs was fun and the breakfast was great. For the value you can't beat this place and don't have anything bad to say. I've marked this as my hotel of choice when I do business in downtown Durham.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Overall a great stay, the property is nice and staff were nice and accommodating. Just think they could do a better job of communicating the deposit holds that they put on your credit card at check in. You just never want to be surprised or shut down on using your credit card because of a significant deposit hold on your card when you are on a multi-city business trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business