“Great Hotel and Friendly Staff”

Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Much needed renovation and this hotel is awesome. Restaurant is a great added benefit with quick friendly service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed February 22, 2012

I spent three weeks (on three occasions) at this hotel. The hotel is okay, but the construction was getting old. Then, on the last trip the hotel had opened but there are opening pains. On all trips the housekeeping service was erratic. One night I received no service, and one night it was sloppy. I reported it but the front desk response was neutral -- it was as if I interrupted them. Room coffee, shampoo, soap etc. was not delivered regularly. I tired of asking for room supplies.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The staff was friendly; the hotel was your average Fairfield inn. The only minor issue is the bartender not using common sense. I had my I.D. in my room and she would not serve me without it, that’s fine if it’s their policy however they will lose business. The man next to me was 62 and she made him go back up and get it.

Room Tip: I could hear people walking around in the room above me all night, I would recommend getting a room...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Hotel was under construction for remodeling the lobby. Staff was unorganized and ill prepared for the situation. Staff was late arriving in the morning. Lobby coffee was 1.5 hours late and breakfast was 30 min. late. They seemed to not really care about the guests.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I've stayed in many Courtyards, and this one is weak. The lobby is under construction, so front desk services are set up in a slipshod guest room. The workout area is abysmal with no bathroom! I had to go back up 4 floors to my room in the middle of my run! Staff was very friendly, but overall I was not impressed.

PS You need a car to get around Durham, $45 taxi from airport!! Rip off!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed here on a corporate rate for work in the Durham area. Standard Courtyard, but lobby and restaurant are under renovation, so the lobby was relocated to a small room in the back. Not an ideal situation, but the room itself was fine. Did notice no refrigerator which I believe is somewhat standard now in Courtyards, so that was unfortunate. There is not an ideal selection of restaurants immediately around the hotel, but everything in Durham seemed to be at most 10 min away.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I've never written a review but thought after one night here I should. Let me first start off with saying that the only reason my wife and I stayed at this Marriott was because we had a voucher for a free night stay after a terrible experience at a different courtyard in a different state about ten months earlier, if I actually paid money to stay here I would be a lot more upset. Had to go to Duke for an MRI for my wife and instead of staying with family this time we thought we'd cash in our voucher and make it a kinda getaway for the two of us. We called and made the reservation and everything was great. When we arrived, there were signs directing us to the back of the hotel to check in. We had to walk through some sort of circus tent to enter the door which a sign led us into a makeshift lobby( an old room turned into the new lobby) At no point when making the call did the reservation agent ever tell me that the hotel was under construction, had I known this I would've gone elsewhere. The woman at the desk was great, very nice and professional. We requested a ground floor room to make it easier on my wife with her medical condition but were told it would have to be on the 2nd and up due to construction. We continued on since we were not paying and took a room on the second floor. When we got into the room, the window was open, we thought it was to get rid of the lingering smoke smell but we later found out why. That night while winding down we could clearly hear the couple in the room above us talking. Not yelling, arguing or fighting.. TALKING.. You could clearly make out their entire conversation and each step they made in their room.. Maybe I'm spoiled with a very firm bed at my house and most other hotels I've stayed but this one in my opinion has served it's life well and ready to be retired. As the night went on we could not get comfortable, kept turning the AC/HEAT unit down to cool it off and still kept getting HOT air. Now we found out why the window was open when we got there. Never thought I'd be sleeping with the window open in Durham in January.. Needless to say, not the nice little getaway I was hoping for. I only hope that with all the construction going on they are not charging full price. Guess in the future I'll be at the holiday inn express, at least there you get HOT breakfast included...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple