“Thank you to Mrs. Kim Simmons and staff.”

Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.
Ranked #55 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I won't stay anywhere else when I travel to Durham. The staff was so helpful and the rooms are always clean. It's located in a great area close to shopping dining and entertainment. I travel most of the year and have stayed in many hotels. I'm always satisfied with the all around service and hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I thought they would be more accommodating considering I had planed to stay 9 months managing a major construction project near the college campus. The reservations I made seem like a switch and bait scheme. The rooms were dirty and in disrepair. The tub drain had to be unclogged and the refrigerator replaced. The microwave stilled smelled of burnt popcorn. What can I say? Disappointing!

Room Tip: Check the room carefully before agreeing to stay as many are dirty.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The situation you described regarding the condition of the rooms you were shown is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is undergoing further training.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at dur@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at the Ivy Creek Blvd "Extended Stay". Our room was very nice and clean! I was concerned after reading some of the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. Staff was always friendly and helpful. Everything was great for our 4 night stay while my husband was undergoing treatment at the Duke Cancer Center. Priced right and will use again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Susan - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am so glad to read that we provided you with great customer service and you weren't deterred by past reviews. We hope your Husband's treatment is going well.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you are looking for a vacation place, then, no, but if you are in Durham, as I was, to tend to family getting treatment at Duke, then stay here. I found the staff very nice and accommodating. Extremely polite and helpful. The breakfast is simply coffee, oatmeal and breakfast bars. The shuttle is a wonderful service, and the drivers so nice. However, I noticed no one tipped them and I feel they should. Yes, shuttle is part of the service, but, people, they are doing you a favor and it is truly cheaper than parking. Silverware in the rooms is very limited, so if you plan on eating in your room, bring your own. The rooms were clean and everything in the room worked as expected. There is no oven, but a stove top ,microwave, coffee pot, and full size fridge. Grocery store, drug store , bagel place, pizza place within short walking distance. The free wifi worked fairly well, TV channels are limited, laundry facilities are good. Overall, I was pleased with the place, customer service, and location- in which I never felt threatened, no matter what time I was out. If you have to be in Durham, for the purpose of going back and forth to Duke for medical services, then, stay here. It serves the purpose at a reasonable price. Pets are accepted. The reviews of poor service were not my experience. I would stay here, again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mtngolfer_8
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I would advise any and everyone do not stay at this hotel. It is dirty and disgusting. The bathroom had mole all in it and the microwave did not work. The area did not feel clean or safe for me and my family. I ended up leaving this hotel and getting a room at another hotel which was further away but much cleaner and safer.

I live in New Jersey and there is a great Extended Stay in Secaucus, New Jersey. This one in Durham just had no class about it what so ever.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Apologies for the length of this review.

I had chose this location following a poor experience with the Tower Blvd location. I had reserved a non-smoking room for 3 weeks for a business trip. This location is convenient to my job and has a pharmacy and grocery within walking distance. The room amenities are great for a long-term stay and the price is very reasonable.

However, I have received very poor customer service since checking in. My first room had no working iron. My second room was clearly a smoking room (musty smell, ashtray in room). I was told I would either need to wait 2 days or pay the difference to move into a larger, non-smoking room. I am displeased and considering moving to another property.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed in 2013 summer for a month. The room was very comfortable and service was prompt. Cleaning is once a week and therefore non intrusive. For the price, it is great value for money and very well located - Starbucks, Harris Teeter, CVS, Quiznos and a theater across the road as well. Little India, Food Lion, Super Target, Toys R US, Pizza Hut, Sam's Club and Ross are walking distance. Some more options in breakfast would have been nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business