“Great place for the purpose”

Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.
Ranked #56 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Great place for the purpose”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a vacation place, then, no, but if you are in Durham, as I was, to tend to family getting treatment at Duke, then stay here. I found the staff very nice and accommodating. Extremely polite and helpful. The breakfast is simply coffee, oatmeal and breakfast bars. The shuttle is a wonderful service, and the drivers so nice. However, I noticed no one tipped them and I feel they should. Yes, shuttle is part of the service, but, people, they are doing you a favor and it is truly cheaper than parking. Silverware in the rooms is very limited, so if you plan on eating in your room, bring your own. The rooms were clean and everything in the room worked as expected. There is no oven, but a stove top ,microwave, coffee pot, and full size fridge. Grocery store, drug store , bagel place, pizza place within short walking distance. The free wifi worked fairly well, TV channels are limited, laundry facilities are good. Overall, I was pleased with the place, customer service, and location- in which I never felt threatened, no matter what time I was out. If you have to be in Durham, for the purpose of going back and forth to Duke for medical services, then, stay here. It serves the purpose at a reasonable price. Pets are accepted. The reviews of poor service were not my experience. I would stay here, again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mtngolfer_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I would advise any and everyone do not stay at this hotel. It is dirty and disgusting. The bathroom had mole all in it and the microwave did not work. The area did not feel clean or safe for me and my family. I ended up leaving this hotel and getting a room at another hotel which was further away but much cleaner and safer.

I live in New Jersey and there is a great Extended Stay in Secaucus, New Jersey. This one in Durham just had no class about it what so ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
East Palo Alto, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Apologies for the length of this review.

I had chose this location following a poor experience with the Tower Blvd location. I had reserved a non-smoking room for 3 weeks for a business trip. This location is convenient to my job and has a pharmacy and grocery within walking distance. The room amenities are great for a long-term stay and the price is very reasonable.

However, I have received very poor customer service since checking in. My first room had no working iron. My second room was clearly a smoking room (musty smell, ashtray in room). I was told I would either need to wait 2 days or pay the difference to move into a larger, non-smoking room. I am displeased and considering moving to another property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed in 2013 summer for a month. The room was very comfortable and service was prompt. Cleaning is once a week and therefore non intrusive. For the price, it is great value for money and very well located - Starbucks, Harris Teeter, CVS, Quiznos and a theater across the road as well. Little India, Food Lion, Super Target, Toys R US, Pizza Hut, Sam's Club and Ross are walking distance. Some more options in breakfast would have been nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pankajjain2k
Junction, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 10, 2013

You couldn't ask for a more helpful and courteous staff. My room was clean and very comfortable. I also enjoyed the shuttle service to Duke Medical University Hospital to visit my grandson before and after his heart surgery. I got a good room rate through Duke University for my stay. The full kitchenette allowed me to prepare my own meals. A grab and go breakfast suited my breakfast needs every day. Plenty of shopping nearby and restaurants within walking distance. This is the place to stay to feel right at home away from home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Eileen R
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Eileen - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It's great to hear that you were so comfortable with your stay. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Somewhere, NC
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have stayed at this property many times. For the price, you can't beat it for an overnight stay. It has all of the basics. The stove, microwave, and fridge come in handy. It's located about 2 minutes from a 24hr Harris Teeter grocery. As a matter of fact, it is located in the same plaza. I have used this store often because of the incredible convenience. Kim, the hotel manager / asst manager has always been a joy to deal with. She is extremely personable and helpful. I will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, April 30, 2013
It is so rewarding to read that you had another wonderful stay with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the Assistant Manager and staff along with the amenities that we were able to provide for you .

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was moving to Durham when I stayed here. It was amazing. The staff were very nice, helpful and courteous. Rooms were not so clean but okay. The most important thing is that they have a shuttle service to Duke

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Manutd_13
The team and I appreciate your positive remarks. It's great to hear that our staff was courteous and helpful. We appreciate you letting us know that your room was not in-line with our company's cleanliness standards, but we are happy that you have provided us with your feedback in order to coach our staff.