Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.
Ranked #56 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, United States
“Home away from home”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Check in was fast,friendly and professional, the room was very clean set up very nice we had a full kitchen and stocked with just about everything we needed, such as dishes , pots, pans, and utensils! it was just a pure pleasure to stay at Homestead Suites, my husband is very ill, and we had to go to the hospital in Durham for his treatments and it was very comforting to us to come to our "Home"away from home, also very conveinently located next to a shopping center!

Room Tip: Just look for the Homestead Suites sign you will get a good room!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
roadwarriornc, Regional Director of Operations at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you felt at home during a difficult time. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

If your looking for comfort, friendly knowledgeable staff, clean, great location...this is it! Many good restaurants some within walking distance and less than five miles to Duke University Hospital. Shopping if thats your thing is within a mile! A great value!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
"I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Clarkston, MI
Reviewed December 1, 2012

If you're looking for a pool, etc. this isn't the place for you. If you are looking for a clean, quiet accomodation, you will really enjoy this facility. The room is spacious and you have a complete kitchen at your disposal. Not just for business or extended stays but a great place for shorter, personal stays.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rachael P, Area Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, December 3, 2012
"I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Ridgeway, South Carolina
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our check in and check out was very quick and efficient. Rooms were clean and quiet and had all needed "stuff" for a long or short stay. A full fridge, stove and coffee maker made eating in a snap.
Excellent value for the money.
Staff very accommodating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed November 9, 2012

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!
I am reviewing this as I sit in my hotel room. My work booked this hotel for me during work-related travel and it is the worst thing I've ever encountered! When I arrived, I stood in line to check in for over 25 minutes. There was one person ahead of me (who had ALREADY started the check in process before I arrived) and one person behind me!

When I got into the room, it looked "clean" before I walked around, then I noticed several things awry. The door wouldn't deadbolt, the mirror is cracked, the iron is missing. The bathroom is dusty and you can see the cleaner residue from where the bathtub was scrubbed (at least it is clean) maybe weeks ago. There are no amenities in the bathroom like the website said there was. There were also several sets of orange and black fingerprints on the door! I'm not a neat freak. I am not OCD, so for me to notice these things means that they were very obvious.

Don't even get me started on the OrderInn service! SKIP IT! Minimum $15.00 for delivery + tax +$2.00 "Packing Fee" and tip. I asked the "representative" if I could give the driver a tip in cash. He said that for security purposes they like to have the tip charged to the card so that drivers don't walk around with cash on them all night. So I left the tip on the card. When the driver got here AN HOUR AND A HALF LATER, he gave me my food (my order was 85% incorrect, by the way) he asked if there was a tip, I told him that I left it on the card and he said he had no idea and didn't see it on his slip. Concerned that he might not get his tip I gave him cash just in case. So when I returned to my room, I found my order to be nearly completely incorrect, smushed to the sides of the boxes and missing any kind of silverware.

This was HORRIBLE. I thought I'd save time by ordering in and I was tired. But I ended up spending more money and eating very little. I should've just gone to the grocery store across the way.

SAVE YOURSELF, DON'T STAY HERE or use OrderInn service!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rachael P, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, November 15, 2012
"Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

It is my pleasure to provide you with an explanation regarding your concern about our amenities. Our company is known for providing great rooms at great rates, without some of the fluff that you find at other hotels. Items like ""complimentary"" shampoos and conditioners are not really complimentary; you do wind up paying for it in the nightly rate. Although we don't place extra amenities into a guest room prior to check-in, we do have a limited supply of sundries available upon request at the front desk. We operate this way because it lets us continue to provide our guests with quality accommodations at an exceptional price. I do regret that we were not able to communicate to you exactly what you could expect before you arrived.

I will also communicate to the "Order Inn" company on your experiences while utilizing them, so that they will be able to provide better service in the future.

Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area."
Staten Island, New York, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I cant ever imagine this place getting a bad review. For what you get for the price, you cant beat it. Our room is very clean ( we are still here, im a duke patient), everything was clean. I think this hotel is beautiful and comes with a great little kitchen, nice size fridge, utensils and cooking supplies too and also a microwave. This saves a lot of money. The staff is very nice too. If you want room service and luxurious amenities, this is not the place for you and it would cost you much much more money.

Room Tip: I cant ever imagine this place getting a bad review. For what you get for the price, you cant beat i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tiffany M
roadwarriornc, Regional Director of Operations at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, August 18, 2012
"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Durham - University. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I had to stay at the Homstead suites for an extended period of time. I was nervous because I read bad reviews of the place; however, I enjoyed my stay there. The rooms were rather small, but comfortable for just one person. The beds are very comfortable and I felt safe while staying there. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was quiet the entire time I was there. The housekeepers are not the best at restocking/ cleaning your room, but it is such a cheap place to stay that I didn't care about the service. Kroger is right down the street and they offer you a free shuttle service to both Duke and UNC. If you are looking for a nice, convenient place to stay that is good for your money, definitely stay here. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
roadwarriornc, Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, August 18, 2012
"It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Durham - University. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way"", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.