“Peanut Butter, Banana & Bacon - Who Knew!”
Review of Parker and Otis

Parker and Otis
Ranked #39 of 764 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Newport Beach, California
“Peanut Butter, Banana & Bacon - Who Knew!”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Ok, too many fun things to look at in their shop and you get to eat creative food too. We sampled a few sandwiches - Shrimp BLT, Turkey w/mango chutney, bacon, lettuce, red onion, yellow cheddar on sourdough and Tomato & mozzarella w/ mixed greens, balsamic vinaigrette on focaccia. But the Peanut butter, banana, bacon w/honey panini was by far my favorite. It sounds weird, but it’s the right blend of creamy, salty & sweet. Had a Buttermilk cupcake, which was just ok when you compare it with other specialty cupcakes. I’d try something else for dessert next time. But the best thing about Parker & Otis is it's not a chain and it has a ton of local personality. Love, Loved it!

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Broccoli soup???”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My extended family and I went for lunch on a Saturday. We ordered the broccoli soup and a grilled cheese, a chicken and tuna sandwich and potatoe salad. The broccoli soup was almost inedible. They charged us double for the chicken sandwich and even though we asked for no peppers on that sandwich, the sandwich was full of peppers. When we returned to the counter to ask about the double charge they apologize and if we wanted to substitute a side on the new order. We asked for the soup, and were charged an additional $3.50 for it. Eventually, the $3.50 charge was removed. Not sure what all the hype was about, but there are plenty of other lunch places in Durham.

• Visited March 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“Good, fresh food; slow, slooow service”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I went for brunch on a Saturday (mid-late morning), to give some context. Very good food here, at about the normal price point for this kind of food around here (maybe a bit on the expensive side, given that you have to line up to order and then wait for food to come to you). A reasonable selection, and the portions are *huge.*

However, if it's busy, you should expect to wait 30 to 45 minutes to *get* your food after you've ordered. Then again, during that time, you can try to find somewhere to sit; tables are packed and people are always hanging around like vultures trying to get one. At your table (did you remember to get your coffee? did you have to wait for ages at the uber-slow coffee bar?), you need to then make sure you strain to hopefully hear the person call your name over the normal discussions that everyone has during brunch.

Personally, I recommend Elmo's over Parker & Otis: the wait time is the same (or less), they'll make sure you have a table, and, when you're seated, you get as much food for the same price - without having to box out anyone to have a place to sit. P&O *really* needs to revamp its kitchen operations; it's just ... ridiculous.

Visited February 2012
North Carolina
“My favorite place for great coffee and breakfast”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

This place is amazing. I drive 45 minutes just to have their spectacular House blend coffee (Counter Culture roaster) and whole wheat blueberry banana bread. When my sister was in, we decided to order hot breakfast. My first time and I am so glad I branced out. The tomato and broc scramble with white cheddar was amazing. My sister had the breakfast sandwich and was equally wonderful. The portions were huge and were served with fresh fruit. After we ate, we hung around the gift shop and wine selection and the hour just flew by.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice local deli and bistro with excellent homemade food”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This little
Deli and bistro located in the heart of Durham, in a repurposed tobacco warehouse offers a nice selection of homemade soups, sandwiches and desserts at modest prices.