“Toast is gross!”

Toast
Ranked #32 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Cafe, Italian, American, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Toast is gross!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Toast almost ruined my day.
I met a friend here for lunch; it was a complete accident. We had plans to go to a place that was closed. Toast was close so we walked in. The line was long and I noticed several tables still waiting on their food. When I finally got to the front of the line, I ordered the bruschetta with nc shrimp, pancetta and radicchio. It seriously took 20 minutes to get our food!! This was a problem as my friend had to be back to work soon. My bruschetta was inedible. The radicchio was just BAD!! I couldn't eat this. I took it back to the front counter. The cashier was RUDE. In front of other customers, she explained what radicchio was. I know what it is; I've cooked with it several times--you guys just suck at cooking it.
In the end, I walked away with a gift certificate. I'm giving it away. I don't have 20 minutes to waste waiting on food or deal with bitter cashiers during my lunch time.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Mapsandstamps

Durham NC (USA)
“Very good sandwiches and soups”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

In a rather bare-bones setting downtown, you will find excellent sandwiches, salads, and soups, but a wonderfully eclectic assortment of drinks both alcoholic and non. The panini (toasted sandwiches) are the best -- the Bruschetta are a bit odd if one is familiar with the true Italian version. But I've never disliked anything I've eaten here, and it's always served with a big smile by Kelly, who is a terrific host.

Visited September 2012
Morrisville, North Carolina
“Fun Lunch at Popular Toast”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've been to Toast a couple of times now for lunch duing the work week. Parking is often a challenge but worth it for a yummy lunch at this fun, energetic spot. The panini + side salad is a winning combination. I usually get the Three Cheese Panini, as I'm a sucker for a good grilled cheese sandwich!

• Visited October 2011
Orangeburg, South Carolina
“Loved it!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Wife and I ate here for lunch. Lots of choices on the menu to please just about anybody. She had the crostini plate with a salad, and I had a panini with a salad. Salads were simple but delicious--a nice mix of spring greens and fresh herbs. Service was friendly but just a little slow--especially considering how popular and packed the restaurant was.

• Visited August 2012
North Carolina
“Great food downtown”
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I got the dreaded letter- You've beeb selected for jury duty...
I decided to take this (unfortunate) opportunity to try a downtown restaurant. Toast is close to the courthouse; easily within walking distance. When I went down there at 1pm, the lunch rush was just ending. Their menu is not expansive, but there did seem to be something for everyone. I had the sweet Italian sausage panini and a cup of the onion soup (tomato based, not beef). Both were excellent.
The next time I have jury duty, I'll be back. And probably sooner, too!