“Very good sandwiches and soups”
Review of Toast

Toast
Ranked #45 of 784 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed September 27, 2012

In a rather bare-bones setting downtown, you will find excellent sandwiches, salads, and soups, but a wonderfully eclectic assortment of drinks both alcoholic and non. The panini (toasted sandwiches) are the best -- the Bruschetta are a bit odd if one is familiar with the true Italian version. But I've never disliked anything I've eaten here, and it's always served with a big smile by Kelly, who is a terrific host.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've been to Toast a couple of times now for lunch duing the work week. Parking is often a challenge but worth it for a yummy lunch at this fun, energetic spot. The panini + side salad is a winning combination. I usually get the Three Cheese Panini, as I'm a sucker for a good grilled cheese sandwich!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Wife and I ate here for lunch. Lots of choices on the menu to please just about anybody. She had the crostini plate with a salad, and I had a panini with a salad. Salads were simple but delicious--a nice mix of spring greens and fresh herbs. Service was friendly but just a little slow--especially considering how popular and packed the restaurant was.

Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I got the dreaded letter- You've beeb selected for jury duty...
I decided to take this (unfortunate) opportunity to try a downtown restaurant. Toast is close to the courthouse; easily within walking distance. When I went down there at 1pm, the lunch rush was just ending. Their menu is not expansive, but there did seem to be something for everyone. I had the sweet Italian sausage panini and a cup of the onion soup (tomato based, not beef). Both were excellent.
The next time I have jury duty, I'll be back. And probably sooner, too!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We researched restaurants in Durham and ran across Toast. It's a little cafe/eatery in downtown Durham. It got great reviews so we thought we would try it out. Wow! is all we can say. Best lunch we have had in years. They use local products to make their dishes and everything is from scratch. They have meat sandwiches and non meat sandwiches. But the best things we had there was the salad and soup. The salad was very simple.... mix greens with fresh basil, mint, parsley, thyme and tossed with a red wine vinegar dressing. So clean and fresh..... the soup was amazing. It was a cold cucumber soup, with pickled onions and buttermilk. It was amazing. you have to try this place. The owners are a husband and wife team and very friendly. prices are great. Sandwiches are only about 6 -7.00. We will be back