“Good Beer --- Some hits and miss on the food!”

Tyler's Taproom and Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 782 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stopped in for lunch on Easter Monday. We sat in a booth near a window and had a nice view of the outside. I ordered a beer flite and my wife had a glass of wine. It seemed a little long for the drinks to come but the beer was tasty and wine was good. I ordered the wings and my wife ordered the 1/2 ham/gruyeye sandwich and meat chile. We also ordered a side of Belgium style french fries. The fries came quickly. They were not really Belgium style but regular fries with dipping sauce. They were fresh but could have been cooked more. The 3 dips were tasty. The chili was good but the sandwich was a disappointment. It was just a bun with a small slice of ham and no sign of cheese. There was no butter or mustard and it was dry. The bun and ham were tasty. We asked for some mustard and that helped. The wings were well cooked and plump. The 4 beer sauce was good. Overall a little disappointing. So some good and some bad. It is a nice place and the beer is good. If you order the right food, you should be OK.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I can't recommend this place highly enough. I have lived in Raleigh for 5 years, and I can't believe I am only now going there. We had a coupon from one of those Entertainment coupon books, so my husband and I decided to try it out. The menu was full of delicious options, but I got a salmon salad. It was one of the best salads I have ever had, and the homemade citrus vinaigrette was to die for. The fish was fresh and blackened perfectly. My husband ordered a sandwich and it was great. The best part about this place is that for the food to be so good. the prices were very reasonable. Instead of the normal 8-11 dollars many restaurants want for their appetizers, Tyler's had several options that were much cheaper. The interior of this place is dim and makes for great bar-food ambiance. There are, of course, great beer selections on tap, and we tried several different beers that we loved. The waiter was knowledgeable about the types of beer that were best suited to our tastes, and he was very helpful. The service was fast too, even though the place was crowded. The back of the restaurant has pool tables, big TVs, etc... but it just felt like a classier place than your average sports bar. There were high top tables for 2-4 people that had personal beer taps built in! Pretty cool. We will definitely be back to this place!!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went here with a friend while in town on business. It's a very large restaurant housed in a former tobacco factory. The food was fine--nothing out of the ordinary. I tried their "famous garlic fries" which were (I think) frozen french fries that were more peppery than garlicky and pretty limp. The beer selection was huge and I'm always happy to find Rogue Dead Guy Ale on tap.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

If you like a large selection of beer and typical bar food then Tyler's is worth considering. Unfortunately, the service has much room for improvement and almost everything on the menu is laden garlic so that you walk out of the place smelling like an order of garlic fries.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've eaten here several times when visiting our family in Durham. The salads are delicious, and the fries, both garlic and sweet potato are outstanding. This time I had the barbecue plate. The greens were salty, the pork was spicy with no sauce, and the cole slaw had too much mayonaise. I tasted my granddaughters fish and chips, and the fish was very oily with too much batter. The food did come quickly, and it was hot. Oh well, sorry about this mixed review. I wish my experience had been better.

1  Thank Sue B

Been to Tyler's Taproom and Restaurant? Share your experiences!