“Keep Driving People...Not Clean”

Residence Inn Durham Research Triangle Park
Ranked #37 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Michigan
“Keep Driving People...Not Clean”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We just came back from NC. We stayed here one night less that 24 hours...we checked in at 8pm and were checked out by 10am. I was...well dirty. The laminate was off of the counter, it smelled funky, the tub/shower was dirty. Keep in mind I am not a neat freak by any stretch of the imagination. While my family was eating breakfast (which that was the bright spot in our stay) I was using the hotel computer to make another reservation elsewhere. While it was a deal to stay there....ask yourself do your value a buck more than getting creeped out? We never even unpacked! While the common area such as the dining room were spotless...the room was a polar opposite...I couldn't wait for morning fast enough to get outta there...one word Eeeewww!
(FYI..they charge you extra if you use a visa that is connected to your bank account 15% I think...which they didn't tell me , I noticed a sign!...and promptly switched my method of payment)

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank PaTwid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Reserved two rooms for a great price on priceline... Upon checking in the lady at the counter had a problem putting the security deposit on our credit cards... She acted as if it was our problem and nothing that she was doing wrong... (Spooked us out, b/c we had just used these cards 15 minutes earlier.) I had to leave $100 cash as a deposit...

When we got to our rooms, we called the credit card companies (three total) and they said that they didn't have a record of anyone even attempting to put anything on the cards... What I find so strange about all of this is that we went to get something to eat 20 minutes later and used one of the cards the lady at the desk said would not work... (what was the real issue???)

The two rooms were studio with enough room for 2-3 persons....
One room was clean, but the other smelled like smoke.....(used two cans of spray to kill the order, but it would only come back--be aware of this)

Trip was just ok for the price that we paid...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Pretty much what you get is what you get. Residence inn's are like apartment rooms so the place wasn't the best of places, but it was not a bad experience. But you do need a car for that area because there are no taxi's anywhere.

But around the area is a Wendy's, Mcdonald's, and other fast shop type places. and up the block is a CVS so pretty much it's like a suburban strip mall type area.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed April 2, 2009

This hotel was great for what I needed. I was only there for the weekend. Best part free breakfast, nice service, nice staff.

• Stayed March 2009
2 Thank Sintika
Indiana
Reviewed July 28, 2008

When we walked into our room, the first thing that hit you was the smell. It's hard to say if it was mold or maybe left over from someone's pet but there was a definite odor. My son then walked into one of the bedrooms and noticed a large wet spot on the carpet. He grabbed a towel to try and soak it up and whatever it was turned the towel yellow. At that point we requested a different room. The next room that they gave us smelled like mold and the bedroom door was hanging off the hinges. At that point, we decided we could not stand to stay there for five nights and asked to cancel our reservation.

• Liked — The room setup
  • Disliked — It didn't appear to be very clean
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank lateforit
pa
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I am a marriott rewards customer and a owner in their vacation club, I have never gotten a room or service like this before.
First i will start with the positive, the outside of the property is upkept well enough, although the parking is troublesome, not enough spaces. The breakfast was good, but come early especially on the weekends, it gets very busy and full, not enough tables. The front desk was good and understanding, waiting on the outcome of the charges involved, will explain later.
The neg side of things. My experience is with room #2012, which is a 2 bedroom suite on the first floor. There is mold growing in the one closet area that has been covered up, at first you do not notice it, but after staying there one night, the next morning you realize that something is making you blow your nose,eyes watering etc... also due to the fact that we got there very late, found wet sheets for the pull out sofa, no extra pillows for the sofa, and only 1 extra blanket, apprarently the dryer must be not working, for the sheets that they gave us to use were also damp!! along with the fact that when we asked for a blanket, we were handed a baby blanket and was told that this was the only thing that they had left!! I have never been to a hotel that said that to me and will never be back to this one again, i must say that in about 15 minutes, we were brought a regular sized blanket to use along with dryer sheets, this was the third time that we tried to get sheets and a blanket. I am one who understands that things can happen, and in fact this is the first time i have every written a complaint about any hotel, much less one of a hotel chain that has given my family many good experiences, but this room and the service is not what it should have been, or what someone should expect to get. Needless to say, the mold in the room made the stay very uncomfortable, and we did not get much sleep due to the smell etc... Because I understand that "things happen" I did not demand a new room/or make any other demands at the time, but what i did do is let the assistant manager on duty the morning we left know of the problems and expected to have some hopefull outcome of this experience. Which brings me to my statement earlier of waiting on the outcome, the assistant manager wanted to know if there was something she could do for us, i asked what can you do?? She informed me that she would take care of the expenses of the stay with them. So, i guess i will find out if that is going to be the case or not.
One thing is sure, i will not be back to this marriott, and will now look even closer at the ones that i go to, for this is unexceptional.

• Liked — breakfast was good
  • Disliked — service/room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
louisiana
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Was very impressed with the way the Handicapped room was set up!

Actually this room had an Oven!!!!

When we got to the Room the tv was starting to go out, and make noises as well, and the Maintenance Man Mr. Starling took care of the problem that day. Figured out that it was something to do with the in room movie channel, and if it continued for us to give him another call. The next day had to call him due to the screen going completely green. He swapped out a Tv with another room.
Did not take him several days to do it either. But he took the time to make sure that everything worked correctly before he left.

The front desk help was fabulous. Margarett, is a type of person that thrives on making sure that everything is just right. She is a happy person and should be recognized for her thoughtfullness.
Then there is Mr. Richard, he is a sweet person and also needs to be recognized as well for his thoughtfullness. He would go beyond being just the front desk clerk, and would help out with any problem that the guest might have.

To me they both are valued Assets to Residence Inn.

• Liked — The landscaping was beautiful, and the personnel was extremely nice, made you feel at home.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)