“Not your typical Courtyard”

Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park
Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I book almost exclusively with Marriott for work and attempt to earn points, usually not dissapointed but this Courtyard was beyond sub-par. When we arrived, the front dest was not friendly, not engaging and the place looked old. As I said above, I stay a lot at Marriott so I am used to getting the "Welcome back" and special Elite door key. None of this happened and the woman who checked me in was far from friendly. When I went to my room, it was old, out dated and once again, not typical. The noise from the above floor never stopped and when I called the front desk they said someone would take care of it- didnt happen. I stayed two nights here (previously booked) and wouldnt return.

*** NO FREE BREAKFAST*********!!!!

This is the biggest complaint I have. My meals are all comped when I travel so I dont mind paying for meals, but this was ridiculous!!! The breakfast was terrible and they charged $10. When the lady brought the check over I was confused and asked what is was for. She said the breakfast buffet. What buffet???

Terrible!! I wont stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I travel quite a bit in my job, and I always try to stay at a Marriott property. In all my travels, I have never had a bad experience at a Marriott until I arrived at the Courtyard Durham RTP. My first night there I came back to the hotel to find my shower filled with ladybugs. Yes, that’s right, ladybugs. At 3 AM I was awakened by ladybugs flying in my face! Nature is supposed to be outside, not inside. The next morning I apprised the front desk of my ladybug problem, and they assured me that by the time I came back that evening, I would have a new room with a king bed. So, after a long day I return to the Courtyard Durham,NC only to find out that the management has not gotten me a new room with a king bed. Bring a platinum member and being told you were forgoten about was not the right thing to say. No, I got a new room with two double beds. Since I’m 6’6”, a king bed is not a luxury but rather a necessity (sleeping diagonally on a bed is not much fun, trust me). Now I am on night two of little to no sleep. For those of you who are thinking of staying at the Courtyard Durham RTP, think twice. This is the worst Marriott property I have ever been as a guest, and the operative word here is guest. I got no service, no sleep, and it just makes no sense.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Solomon Z
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and our two children stayed here October 12 for Late Night with Roy, the room was very clean and spacious, we had no problems at all, very very clean, the staff was extremely nice and helpful especially Antonio, give that boy a raise, he deserves it, would recommend this hotel..... GO HEELS!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I love the comfortable bed and the modern feel of the room. My wife and I visit Durham often and plan on staying here again. The hotel as new big screen televisions, Good location near Southpoint mall

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Reasonably-priced and just off I40. Good location for business travelers to RTP. It's not fancy and perhaps dated but if you want a comfortable bed, you can't go wrong. No restaurant or bar other than breakfast in the AM. The front desk has drinks and snacks but if you want frills, look elsewhere.
Free wi-fi.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have stayed in many Marriott's and this one is several notches below ANY Marriott I have ever stayed out. First, despite telling them I was using Marriott Rewards points, the hotel would not take them. The front desk person said no one could change the 'bill' but his manager would change the bill (i.e., accept the Reward points the next day). Of course, then the manager would not change the bill. The pool was filthy. Room service didn't come while you were away for hours. Rather, they would wait till very late afternoon as we were coming back from working or doing something and then at 6:00 someone would show up and ask if we wanted our room clean, just as we were trying to get ready for dinner. Bottom line, our room got cleaned one time. The 'Business Center' was a computer in the lobby and we couldn't get wireless. For a Marriott Courtyard next to a huge Research Triangle Park, and in a fairly large city, I really expected a decent place. Also, no lunch/dinner restaurant on the premises. Many other hotels in the area--shop around.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Michelle K
Reviewed July 10, 2012

During a trip to NC I stayed at the Courttyard by Marriott at the research park location and I was very disappointed with the hotel. The hotel is very old and is in need of major repairs not only in the rooms but in the lobby. The only positive discussion on this proporty is the staff...they are very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business