“Good for those coming to the University”

CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University
Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Moscow, Russia
“Good for those coming to the University”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed for 4 nights in the hotel in August 2014 coming to a coference in Duke University.

+ close to the Duke university campus. clean. large rooms. excellent room service.
- noisy. loud conditioning. no restaraunt inside.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had to go to Duke Medical System and stayed at Brookwood Inn for a week. The facility although aged is extremely convenient.to the medical center. There is a free shuttle service that leaves the hotel every half hour between 7AM and 9:30 PM that serves the medical center and all other locations within 5 miles of the hotel. You are given a card with a number to call for pickup. They fetched us at the medical center within five minutes. Our room (701) was spacious with a king sized bed, reclining chair, dresser, desk and a large flat screen tv.. The bathroom was very clean and great towels. There was plenty of hot water but the pressure in the shower cold use some improvement. There is a restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch. The food was good and the servers were very friendly and helpful. Some people have complained about it being overpriced, but is on par with the area. Thehotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Cookies are available in the afternoon. There is ample free parking. We plan to stay thereagain inSeptember.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Mark F
Lumberton, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Spent one night at the Brookwood Inn after having surgery at the hospital. Even though I was out of it for most of the time, I would have to say this is the cleanest hotel I've ever stated. There was not even a hotel smell to the place. I would definitely stay another time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ctyner1974
Reviewed July 29, 2014

All the staff I met were extremely friendly. This type of service is exactly what the doctor ordered! The courtesy van was a great service getting to the various buildings at Duke and business within a. 3 mile radius.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank BrendaConner
Durham
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had a discrepancy at check it, the general manager knew if it and proceeded to WALK OUT THE DOOR SAYING "I DON'T CARE, I'M GOING HOME"! Leaving me waiting and waiting unable to check into my room because the staff didn't have the knowledge to correct the issue! I would not recommend this hotel... There are so many other choices with much better service!

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank rachelohrum
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Brookwood Inn is closet hotel to the main hospital at Duke. I didn't have any complaints about the place. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was clean. This hotel is perfect for anyone who has to use the VA hospital or Duke. I din't have to drive anywhere or use a parking deck. They always had coffee and they had free cookies in the afternoon. My mother-in-law used the shuttle and was very pleased. The fitness room isn't the greatest but it helped me run off some of the stress of sitting in a hospital room all day. I will stay here again the next time I visit the hospital.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank chilly53d
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed at this Brookwood in May 2013 and I wrote a review that was great cause our stay was great. This time we visited June 2014 and the stay was not as great as just one year ago.

Again the Brookwood is very convenient for the medical center and the school. Our request for upper floor was honored and we were on the 8th floor. I did not notice the "FRESH" smell that I had noticed in May 2013, not in the hallways or the room so I did have to wind up using my Febreeze for our room. It didn't smell bad - just Febreeze freshens it up. The Executive King is a very nice room. Large king bed, refrig, microwave, desk, chair, safe, and a large TV. Bottled water is provided complimentary daily which is very nice. The bed is comfortable but the pillows are small. Every day I meant to ask for an extra pillow but I always forgot. I love that the towels in the bathroom are cream (khaki) colored instead of your standard white.

Although my last review said the a/c worked great, this year not so much so perhaps it was this particular room cause we were warm most nights. It just did not seem to adequately cool the room. Again it was quite warm in Durham during our stay. Although we put the thermostat down to 67, it never got even close to that and many nights we had to kick off the covers during our sleep. Thankfully I brought a small portable fan for my bedside and I had to use it most nights we were there.

The staff is kind and when we checked in they had warm cookies on the registration counter which was really nice but I did not recall from the previous year so it may be a new thing. We didn't see them again after that first night however we returned later in the evening every day.

There is a safe in the room but we had no problems with our belongings left in the room. But it is nice that they have it for your convenience. The shower is nice and water pressure good. They have lots of plugs for charging all your electronics which is also very nice.

Although it is a good price and very convenient, I think if we had to come back to Durham we would probably not stay at the Brookwood because of the a/c situation. Maybe it was just the unit for our particular room that failed us. We got up and out every day so we were not able to be there for them to come in and repair it and moving to another room would have been a huge pain. Hotel staff (housekeeping??) should be on top of knowing which rooms have efficient equipment and guests should not be subjected to "trying out a room" just to find out something does not work. Changing a room after moving everything in is really a huge hassle! So just be mindful of that if like me you require very cool temperature for sleeping.

Room Tip: I always ask for upper floor away from elevator cause some elevators make dings or gongs which can i...